FYI, I just asked my Chinese girlfriend if she thinks the word Jap is offensive. She had never heard the term before assumed it was a short form of "Japanese person", similar to Brit for British person. 

No offense to Gillman , but he doesn't really seem like a scholar of history. My guess would be he probably thought the same as my GF. I think that is a much more reasonable assumption than automatically assuming someone is racially prejudiced. 

I'm not sure if this is a joke post or not.  But Chinese and Japanese cultures are not only totally different, but as a general statement they really don't like each other, at all.  They've been to war multiple times over the last few generations and Japan did some really nasty things during WWII to millions of Chinese. That'd be like asking a Russian about a slur against Germans and asking if they care.

When did not saying racist sh!t become politically correct?

"Ah. I see. Yes, yes. I understand now. How good of you to, uh, to catch that.”

Responds in disbelief… slaps his forehead with his hand, wipes his eyes, backs away slowly, takes a deep breath and dials the weather bureau to report a blizzard of melting snowflakes.

Edited by OKnowwhut

It doesnt water down what an actual racist is, it exposes it more because in todays society racism has become more subtle in hidden. Deliberate and obvious racism is easy to find and squash so that actually is not a big deal. Its the hidden racism that is harder to find therefore calling it out as soon as possible IMO is the best preventative measure.

If a person uses a racial slur freely in their language, they will be labeled a racist. Its actually simple.

If a person apologizes after using the racial slur and says they didn't mean it, that labeling in my eyes is retracted.

It must be terrible to go through life looking for something to be offended by.

All the hidden racism economical dispair..suck it up dude. Your name calling without supporting facts doesn't make you any more revalent than him. One might say you may have some issues by making a racist judgement on him based on a bad choice of words and the color of his skin.

Words alone do not define racism, maybe stupidity.

Edited by tbert

The fact that Gilman said it twice makes me feel even stronger he did not realize the derogatory nature of his comment. I will not call it a racial slur as it has been pointed out that Japanese is not a race. This derogatory word obviously is painful for Japanese Americans for good reason. I have lost some of my sympathy for BTFB upon reading that he learned of this word being hateful in 8th grade social studies when he was making a case that Gilman being a history major should also have known this. In reading his earlier posts I thought for sure he had been sat down as a child and told of terrible things that happened to some of his relatives in the internment camps. Another reason for not being on the side of tar and feathering Gilman is that I still have not read or heard a word that he could have used to describe Higuchi that is common enough to remember while involved in an emotional interview.

I'm not sure if this is a joke post or not.  But Chinese and Japanese cultures are not only totally different, but as a general statement they really don't like each other, at all.  They've been to war multiple times over the last few generations and Japan did some really nasty things during WWII to millions of Chinese. That'd be like asking a Russian about a slur against Germans and asking if they care.

No, it's not a joke at all, my girlfriend is genuinely Chinese (as in not American). My point of referencing her nationality is simply to show she's not the type of person who is up to date on what are considered derogatory terms in major American metros. In her case, her national origin is likely the main reason she has never heard the term, but she highlights the fact that there are a great many people out there who could easily make the same mistake Gilman did without realizing it.

With that said, I think your post touches on an important point, which is that the term has nothing to do with race. It is derogatory towards members of a particular nation, not to individuals sharing common phenotypic features. If it was a racist term, you never would have made your above statement.

It must be terrible to go through life looking for something to be offended by.

All the hidden racism economical dispair..suck it up dude. Your name calling without supporting facts doesn't make you any more revalent than him. One might say you may have some issues by making a racist judgement on him based on a bad choice of words and the color of his skin.

Words alone do not define racism, maybe stupidity.

Actually I don't sit there a look for something to be offended by.

Me being of Japanese American descent and the horrors that my Grandparents had to go through causes major anger in me when that term gets thrown out there freely. It angers me even more when people jump to the defense of that term instead of the people that have been effected by that word.

DON'T YOU DARE TELL ME TO SUCK IT UP WHEN A JAPANESE RACIAL SLUR GETS THROWN OUT THERE.

Again. If a person uses a racial slur I will call them a racist. If that person later apologizes I will retract calling them a racist. If that person never apologizes I will never retract that statement. Its actually pretty damn simple.

ITS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL TRY TOP ARGUE AND JUSTIFY THE USE OF A RACIAL SLUR! AFTER LEARNING THE WORD IS A RACIAL SLUR THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE THING TO DO IS APOLOGIZE AND VOW TO NEVER USE IT AGAIN. 

PRETTY

DAMN

SIMPLE

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Japanese is not a race, it describes a country of origin. The term Jap is not then "racist". It might be considered derogatory but not racist.

You can certainly argue whether Gilman realized the term was racist (personally I think he didn't intend it to be offensive but he should have realized that it is and this was a learning moment for him), but it is being seriously obtuse to argue that it isn't a racist term just because Japan is a country.  It is also an ethnicity and the term has strong history behind it.

Edited by ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

You can certainly argue whether Gilman realized the term was racist (personally I think he didn't intend it to be offensive but he should have realized that it is and this was a learning moment for him), but it is being seriously obtuse to argue that it isn't a racist term just because Japan is a country.  It is also an ethnicity and the term has strong history behind it.

Its not my fault that the PC police have redefined racism to include countries, religions and cultures.