You know what youre right. I guess we should all be tolerant of racists and allow them to just run amock. What a great representative the HWC has there.

Dude I am sorry for whatever trauma you had as a kid but cmon. I have not seen anyone say they liked the comment. People make mistakes, learn from it, and move on. The good thing is I bet his mouth will be a little more tame next time he speaks!

Edited by PRyan2012

I don't mind one way or the other what he says.   He can tell us he's having a sex change and marrying a man.   It makes no difference to me.    

I do mind when he's at a USA wrestling event being interviewed and representing wrestling in our country, and throwing out at the very minimum offensive terms but more likely, racist, hateful terms.    I'd like to see USA wrestling  address it to "the Jap" and to the international wrestling community.     Either this is what we're about or we denounce it.   

This is a pathological problem with white folks in this country? Generalize much?

Gilman doesn't represent white folks, he represents himself only with those words.

Absolutely. Gilman represents himself. And he represented himself in a racist fashion. This is not a commentary on white people. Its a commentary on Gilman and Gilman alone.

And here we have people coming to his defense.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Dude I am sorry for whatever trauma you had as a kid but cmon. I have not seen anyone say they liked the comment. People make mistakes, learn from it, and move on. The good thing is I bet his mouth will be a little more tame next time he speaks!

Thanks for the patronizing comment on me being traumatized as a kid.

I wont give him the benefit of the doubt that hes kearned from it until theres an apology. Doubt that itll come though.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I'm Asian, so I will say referring to someone as a Jap is pretty offensive, and there's no excuses if you have an inkling of context from history. It's (to me) along the same line as someone saying the word Chink, or Gook.

However, I will say that Gilman did just come out of a match, and if you've ever been interviewed, it's hard to keep aware of your words. Especially after a fight.

Gilman could have just been ignorant/brash, or he could be a racist. I'm willing to give him the chance to acknowledge and apologize for it and move on. If he doesn't, especially if someone brings it up to him, then we know where he stands.

Absolutely. Gilman represents himself. And he represented himself in a racist fashion. This is not a commentary on white people. Its a commentary on Gilman and Gilman alone.

And here we have people coming to his defense.

I got called a "nigga" on twitter today by a Russian. He didn't mean it in a derogatory way, he just sees it used all the time by our culture. I PM'd and told him to be careful. No harm, no foul.

Now if you take Gilman as a racist after a subtle comment with no prior history of racial remarks or actions, than you need to re-examine the important things in your life. 

My grandpa is Mexican. He got called a beaner. He didn't take offense to it. He told the guy that picking peans is hard and you get a "wet back". True story. My grandpa took racist remarks in stride and rarely if ever got offended. Each to their own....

I'm Asian, so I will say referring to someone as a Jap is pretty offensive, and there's no excuses if you have an inkling of context from history. It's (to me) along the same line as someone saying the word Chink, or Gook.

However, I will say that Gilman did just come out of a match, and if you've ever been interviewed, it's hard to keep aware of your words. Especially after a fight.

Gilman could have just been ignorant/brash, or he could be a racist. I'm willing to give him the chance to acknowledge and apologize for it and move on. If he doesn't, especially if someone brings it up to him, then we know where he stands.

I agree, however until he actually apologizes he should absolutely be seen as a racist. If he apologizes then he should be forgiven. Atleast for the first time. Until then he shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

I got called a "nigga" on twitter today by a Russian. He didn't mean it in a derogatory way, he just sees it used all the time by our culture. I PM'd and told him to be careful. No harm, no foul.

Now if you take Gilman as a racist after a subtle comment with no prior history of racial remarks or actions, than you need to re-examine the important things in your life. 

My grandpa is Mexican. He got called a beaner. He didn't take offense to it. He told the guy that picking peans is hard and you get a "wet back". True story. My grandpa took racist remarks in stride and rarely if ever got offended. Each to their own....

Youre right. Im sorry for being offended when a person uses a racist term that represents my ethic background. I guess i should be more like your grandfather and let it slide.

I agree, however until he actually apologizes he should absolutely be seen as a racist. If he apologizes then he should be forgiven. Atleast for the first time. Until then he shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

I'm afraid I'm of the opposite spectrum. Innocent until proven guilty type of sentiment. I know Gilman is a tool, I'm no fan of his antics whatsoever, but I think this is the first time he's said something remotely construed as racist.

If Gilman doesn't own up to how stupid his words sounded, or continues the narrative, then I'm convinced he's a bigot. Until then, I don't think I'll judge him too bad from one interview post-match.

It is an extremely offensive and racist term, and anyone who says different is just clueless.  That being said, I think because of Gilman's ignorance of the term, he did not mean it in a derogatory sense.  This by no means excuses it, but I don't think he understands the implications of the term.  Admonish and educate him.  Lesson learned.

It is an extremely offensive and racist term, and anyone who says different is just clueless.  That being said, I think because of Gilman's ignorance of the term, he did not mean it in a derogatory sense.  This by no means excuses it, but I don't think he understands the implications of the term.  Admonish and educate him.  Lesson learned.

Lesson learned when he apologizes. Until then no lesson has been learned.

You pointed it out to the Russian that using that word isn't appropriate. I take it that he apologized or understood, and that there weren't any repeated incidents. That's what I'm hoping for Gilman to understand. As much as I don't like his behavior, I wouldn't want to know that he's some sort of racist bigot.

But in terms of your grandfather, that's fine. Great. But how he handled casual racism may be different than today's time and culture. Back then (assuming like 50+ years ago?), if he said anything back, the threat of violence may have been greater. If someone calls me Gook, am I supposed to take it in stride since technically everyone uses the toilet?

Just saying, I try to see what got someone upset and try to understand if it's stupid or reasonable. I can see where BigTenFan is coming from, even if my stance is different.

Youre right. Im sorry for being offended when a person uses a racist term that represents my ethic background. I guess i should be more like your grandfather and let it slide.

Dear lord relax. Understand the situation! I am assuming you are a grown man! If you surf the internet enough, you will find racial slurs all over the dang place. Enough to keep you inside your room crying until you wither away. 

Spend the rest of your life being a social warrior and you will be miserable. Like Bob Marley said "Don't worry, be happy"

Thank you! This is spot on!

Could Gilman actually use that term and not know the significance?     What could they possibly be teaching him  over there?  

So Gilman beat 3 NCAA champs today.. Graff was nearly a 4th if not for Ramos. Graff had 0 offense for Gilman. 11-0 TF over Mega? Tomasello must hate Iowa wrestlers right now. What a day! His match with Ramos is worth admission alone tonight! IOWA owns 57KG!

Could Gilman actually use that term and not know the significance?     What could they possibly be teaching him  over there?  

He says he isn't on social media.  Maybe he doesn't know how to use a computer/maybe he doesn't read many books either?  Who knows what he does and doesn't know.  There are a lot of ignorant people out there...He may be one.  

Obviously he could, because it seems a fair number of people on this thread are not aware of the significance of the term.

Or he used a/the term he's been comfortable with saying for a long time.

Possibly a slip, accident or normal phrase for him.

But, in fairness to Gilman, I've never heard him use any racial-type words in any interviews previously. And not all of his opponents have been lily-white caucasians while competing in the sport.