cangemi

They should wait a day to wrestle finals

so, molinaro who wrestled for a medal in rio is such less competition in his weight as compared to JB who did not wrestle for a medal in rio?

come on...

you get what you earn, right?

some of you guys could take a lesson

Come on yourself. Trying to rationalize a ridiculous system because you can find one or two examples is grasping. Of course it was going to hurt Dake in a third match. JB is a much tougher assignment than beating Molinaro. We really debating this? JB had not lost in the US since 2009 until tonight.  

I'll take a lesson. I think Rio is the lesson. US wrestling coddled JB, who lost a step, the world caught up and JB imploded. I was the only one on here who noticed. 

Bottom line (I am certainly no JB fan; sorry) if JB is the best he should not have any bye at all. He should wrestle the challenge tournament like everyone else. Period. We talk about the finals being the next day because that is at least a practical fix given how desperate US wrestling is for crumbs and stars, and how corrupting this is.  

One more thing. I have said over and over that Dake will not get a fair shake against JB on US soil. So this result does not surprise me. The system finds a way. Just the idea that it went to a third match brings the bye issue to the forefront again. 

Edited by straggler

there were 2 examples tonight...

been many more in the past...

dake should have won in vegas, but, he didn't... just like he didn't tonight...

look, i get it... he's your guy... you keep carrying that torch... i wanted him to win tonight as well, but, he didn't...

obli-di obli-da

there were 2 examples tonight...

been many more in the past...

dake should have won in vegas, but, he didn't... just like he didn't tonight...

look, i get it... he's your guy... you keep carrying that torch... i wanted him to win tonight as well, but, he didn't...

obli-di obli-da

Absolutely should have won. Did win. But those magic passivity calls.

The system is a cheat. That is not debatable. So you had two examples tonight? Great. Still remains very rare and we are talking about trying to depose a former gold medalist/favorite son, not just some guy. To pretend there is nothing wrong is absurd. There is no way to get around that it is needlessly imposing a physical disadvantage. Saying "but so and so won" is not a response. And it is apples and oranges. Let's see them beat JB.  

I have complained more about the bias/favoritism than the bye. Because it is blatant. But at least they could fix the bye issue.  

Edited by straggler

Well I think we could hold the mini tourney on a Thursday and hold the best of three series on Saturday. Giving the mini tourney champs a day to recover. Or hold the mini tourney one weekend and perhaps the best of three series the following weekend. Now I know it this way isn't perfect, but it might help solve some of these fatigue problems we are seeing. The downside of this is that it just might be too much of a financial or family burden and might not be doable. It would have to be something that all could agree on.

sour grapes...

JB won because he deserved to win...

Cox won because he deserved to win...

Zain won because he deserved to win...

Gilman won because he deserved to win...

wash rinse and repeat...

I don't think the wrestler who hits a sucker punch to the jaw and several eye pokes deserves to win

Second best thing behind the actual wrestling, is reading the inevitable sycophantic posts about why a guy shouldn't have lost.

Third best thing is watching diehard fans of a sport that is still on Olympic death watch not accept simple criticisms of a third-rate qualifying system. You create a crappy system then expect no complaints. OK. 

Third best thing is watching diehard fans of a sport that is still on Olympic death watch not accept simple criticisms of a third-rate qualifying system. You create a crappy system then expect no complaints. OK.

You're terribly confused as to why wrestling is not a popular sport.

You are seriously confused here.  You have no actual problem with the qualifying system.  You just think Dake was cheated by a refereeing conspiracy.  I won't even disagree with you the officiating was bad.  But JB and Dake went through the exact same process to win the spot in the last 2 months.  In the past Dake complained about the advantage JB had and JB had a huge advantage as a returning medalist.  Many don't like that.  It's a fair debate.  But JB had no official advantage this time.  He beat Dake on even footing in April, then beat him with the US Open advantage they both had access to in this calendar year.  

Taylor can complain about Cox having an advantage as a medalist.  Dake can (and does) complain about officiating.  Dake cannot complain about the qualifying system.

Edited by boconnell

i think wrestling against the absolute best the US has to offer is where the real toll is... they are typically waiting in the finals...

again, there are too many examples of the best guy coming through the mini tournament and still beating who is sitting for me to ever complain that this system is patently unfair and biased... i'll leave that too the whiners and fan boi's...

Dear LJB -

The word is To.  

Whiners and Fan Bois?  Apostrophe?  Are you 12? 

This is nothing to do with what happened. It has everything to do with commen sense. can't see it?

Unfortunately not everyone has commen sense. Must be blind.This format is so skewed. " Can't see it can't help you".

Edited by cangemi

If you want a fair answer to this format ask someone has nothing to do with wrestling. Give two options same day or following day. You will have your commen sense answer. Please try it. See what you will get.

Edited by cangemi

Watch Dake's 3rd match against JB.  He had absolutely nothing left strength-wise.  Clearer than day.  This tells me the system is not fair.  Finals should be held a day later.  As far as the matches go, given the system as it is currently structured, JB won fair and square.  As for the eye pokes and punches, Dake should be using this to fire himself up.  Somebody punches me, my natural reaction would be to come back at them that much harder so I might have the opportunity to inflict twice as much paing!  Retribution should be a motivating factor.  Dake looks to the refs far to often for help, taking him out of his own gameplan, which is exactly what JB is hoping for!

im wondering how Dake could have been tired.

someone tell me how many shots he took on the day.

i counted 1 after his first takedown against burroughs.

the rest was defense and counters.

why should he be tired?

and he didn't shoot again on burroughs until he was behind in the second match.

zain was able to do it.

gilman was able to do it.

i actually think it hurts JB. he needs that warmup match.

just look at the end of his first match coming back to tie it.

if Dake would attack he would have a better chance.

and speaking of passivity

how does Dake block an entire period and not get called... (2nd period first match)

I felt the passivity calls were very inconsistent throughout the tournament.  And the ref hitting both Cox and DT for passivity in the first minute in 2 of their 3 matches!?!  That's a ref interjecting himself in a match between 2 of the top wrestlers in the world and potentially effecting the outcome, at a point when the calls weren't warranted.