I thought Dake and Taylor both would pull it out this time.

Burroughs showed the poise and experience that will serve him well at the World Tournament. Maturity played a part as he did not panic when faced with an opponent who has the tools to beat him. He did what was needed to win, a lot like the Russians and other top International wrestlers do. Nothing fancy, just win. He is a good representative for the US.

Hope he does the same at the World Championships.

Don't recall JB consistently using hands to face in most of his matches.  Right, wrong?  Not keen on the dirty tactic but believed he used on purpose against Dake because it's so easy to rattle him.  And that's what happened.

Good to see JB pull this out.  Really disappointed that he's still lamenting about Rio.  Get over it and move on.  Real champions overcome the obstacles and move on.  And also talking that he's old and slower.  He's got one foot out the door with this mindset.  

Dake hasn't done anything and makes me sick see him so propped up.  He is awesome but let the record and results to the talking.  Believe JB feels disrespected by all this from Dake and his fans - though he won't mention it.  And it's gotten into his psyche which is sad to see.

JB needs to work on his mental game which use to be one of his strongest traits.  I believe he can squeeze more out of his career opposed to talking and thinking like it's near the end.

I don't really understand this point of view at all.  

Good to see JB pull this out.  Really disappointed that he's still lamenting about Rio.  Get over it and move on.  Real champions overcome the obstacles and move on.  

Using past failures in sport as motivation is a core aspect of competition at the highest level. As long as it's fueling greater dedication to training in the right ways, how is it anything but a positive?  There are plenty of historical examples... take your pick. 

And also talking that he's old and slower.  He's got one foot out the door with this mindset.  

To me this shows maturity rather than weakness.  Making adjustments with age is just reality. All the great ones make adjustments as they age, in every sport.  There are no exceptions.   

JB needs to work on his mental game which use to be one of his strongest traits.  I believe he can squeeze more out of his career opposed to talking and thinking like it's near the end.

In my experience, it's usually not the guy with a weak mentality coming up with clutch scores late in the match.  Down 2 with his back against the wall, 40 seconds left... come on man. He dominated the second period in each match.  Perhaps that's evidence of mental weakness and I just can't see it.  You might be right. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie

To briefly comment on the hit to the face that dropped him. I'm not sold it was deliberate. I thought it looked like he was coming up to inside control. Yes aggressive and hard, but he didn't wind back or anything. It looked like he was jamming up inside for control.

The other side is I think you have to take into account wrestling at the world level. On the world stage those guys aren't the cleanest.in many of those countries it is the number one other two spots. Rugby/wrestling, soccer/wrestling etc. Especially the top guys are extremely physical and what we consider in the US dirty. After 7 years wrestling at that level with the Russians, Iranian, Cubans, Turkish, etc., You are going to merge a little with what is required when wrestling others at that physical level.

Charlie,

I see your point and i never discounted JB's performance or resolve as of late.  IE, in his interview post match he talked about how many have doubted him and written him off - which I believe was wrong.  All along I said his psyche took a huge dent in Rio and not his physical ability.  However, still stand my opinion that I think he needs to shore up his mental game based on the way he's talking recently.

I never wrote him off. I pointed out that he no longer had the warp speed first step and that the playing field would not be tilted in Rio or at the WC. I thought he could win a bronze in Rio but he did not take losing well.  

My honest assessment is that Dake outwrestled him again but the playing field was tilted just enough in Burroughs favor that he got the spot being protected for him. I think he can place for a bronze medal this time out. 

"Got crushed in the second." 

Bad calls aside, I think that has something to do with the challenge tournament. I do not think that is a coincidence.

So now illegal tactics are "winning." Until he wrestles outside the US and he no longer has the speed that it does not matter. Winning will quickly becomes losing.

You can accuse people of whining and frankly guilty as charged. Because there is clearly something to whine about. The set up of this tournament is insane and very unfair. And the bush league level of bias/favoritism this reflects as US Wrestling is so desperate in preserving what it deems as the best hope for a medal by creating a sham system is a scandal. I am not the only one who recognizes that consistent with the set up Burroughs gets every single call, at least to the 40/60 range and gets away with "tactics" that are downright dirty. 

All I know is that Dake was better in Vegas but the rules are so subjective the refs can determine the resuilt of any close match. And Burroughs is not allowed to lose those type of matches in the US. 

Burroughs internationally would hardly be the only guy wrestling 'dirty' or 'ugly'. Iran used to have the market on that for years. 

The "winning quickly becoming losing" wasn't apparent at the World Cup. He wrestles a somewhat different style but what gets lost in all of this is he's a really good 'wrestler'. He is probably our best at chaining together points from par terre after a TD even with diminishing athletic ability. He is winning on tactics and those same tactics will work anywhere. As will the calls he gets.... he tends get them overseas as well. 

Burroughs internationally would hardly be the only guy wrestling 'dirty' or 'ugly'. Iran used to have the market on that for years. 

The "winning quickly becoming losing" wasn't apparent at the World Cup. He wrestles a somewhat different style but what gets lost in all of this is he's a really good 'wrestler'. He is probably our best at chaining together points from par terre after a TD even with diminishing athletic ability. He is winning on tactics and those same tactics will work anywhere. As will the calls he gets.... he tends get them overseas as well. 

I said I think he can place for a bronze. But does not change the fact that he clearly lost that lightening first step. Burroughs is among the most protected athletes in Olympic history. US wrestling let's him get away with it. Won't happened at the WCs. Just as in Rio.

This is probably BS on my part because I don't watch a ton of FS but it seems to me JB had one year where he dominated with the leg lace and since then he hasn't been scoring with it.  Has he been scoring with the lace since the 2015 WC against non-US opponents? 

Watch Stephen Abas' olympic finals match if you want to see some real dirty ugly wrestling. I think Batirov had a one finger in his Abas' mouth, one in his eye, and one in his nose, all with one hand at points during that match.

That said, Jordan Burroughs is also dirty as ____.