It didn't help David when he flashed two points right after he crushed his leg rather than expressed concern to Cox's leg. It certainly made many fans furious at him. They felt it was a poor sportsmanship. You would see some DT pointing to the fans and yelling at end of the match in reacting to fans yelling.

Wow, I sure wish he hadn't flashed two. It certainly backfired on him for sure. He sure had very narrow tunnel vision- just to win.

He got to be careful

His job is to win the match.  In fact his conscience is probably the reason he lost because he was putrid after the injury timeout.  

His job is to win the match.  In fact his conscience is probably the reason he lost because he was putrid after the injury timeout.  

True, going back, John Smith was all over Lewis's leg when he got hurt in the third match, Cejudo did the same to Abas.

It is crazy if Taylor was too nice to attack while Cox was hurting, as we know they are friends and have trained together in the past. Makes me wonder what DT is thinking now.

I'm sure he must be feeling really discouraged but hopefully the trials outcome won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back. A better barometer might actually be how he fares against Heflin, Nickal or Dean going forward. See if they close or cross the gap with him.

It is crazy if Taylor was too nice to attack while Cox was hurting, as we know they are friends and have trained together in the past. Makes me wonder what DT is thinking now.

I'm sure he must be feeling really discouraged but hopefully the trials outcome won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back. A better barometer might actually be how he fares against Heflin, Nickal or Dean going forward. See if they close or cross the gap with him.

DT and J'Den might be cool but no such thing as friends when you wrestle expecially for what is on the line, I don't think he's too nice to attack.  It seemed like the sweat of the mat and J'Den kinda messed his ability to attack

Taylor had a hissy fit. Should have had more fun out there. I mean seriously, he just needed to have more fun out there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I thought it was ironic that Cox just talked about having fun in his post match interview! Didn't look like Taylor was having fun! 

Also, for those saying Taylor took it easy on Cox after the injury... I dont think so. He took a shot on the bad leg immediately after the reshot!

Also, for those saying Taylor took it easy on Cox after the injury... I dont think so. He took a shot on the bad leg immediately after the reshot!

Coaches on here will probably back me up on this, but when a guy has a leg injury you need to attack the other leg.  This forces him to put all of his weight on his injured leg when he reacts.  Shooting the injured leg just allows him to pivot around on his good leg.

Coaches on here will probably back me up on this, but when a guy has a leg injury you need to attack the other leg. This forces him to put all of his weight on his injured leg when he reacts. Shooting the injured leg just allows him to pivot around on his good leg.

Definitely true that if you're trying to hurt them you should put their weight on the bad leg by attacking to the good one. As a coach, seems like the best advise is to attack him exactly how you would have before the injury. I'm not sure if the slipperiness or his own psychology stopped DT from sticking with his normal wrestling..probably both

Coaches on here will probably back me up on this, but when a guy has a leg injury you need to attack the other leg.  This forces him to put all of his weight on his injured leg when he reacts.  Shooting the injured leg just allows him to pivot around on his good leg.

This has been the old saying that has been past down... It is still true when you can get the leg up, but with the scrambles that guys get in these days (and especially with Taylor using mostly low shots), there is a lot more stress on the knee that you are attacking. There was a Kyle Snyder interview  saying the key to his low single finishes is to "stress the joint"

Great gutty performance by Cox there, a true champ. That said you have to put him on the shot clock in the second period, not sure if it would have affected the outcome but he deserved to be penalized.

The shot clock comes out when scoring is absent. They spread 3 points over a couple of minutes and there were lots of attacks and counter attacks in there.

Sad part , will always wonder if

The mini tourney played into it.

Sucks we will never know, not even fair to cox that we all wonder.

Just bad format

Disagree with this DT is one the most conditioned wrestler i have seen and his engine never stops.  I don't think that put too much in effect to see how he wrestled in bout 1 and changed cox made in 2 and 3

There is no doubt that the injury got into Taylor's head. After the shot off the whistle it looked like he fully expected to just be able to push Cox right off the mat. Credit Cox for consistently using Taylor's momentum. That was inevitably why he didn't get put on the clock. He went backwards so much but inevitably circled back against Taylor and kept putting David in relative trouble on the edge. If Taylor would have just stalked and patiently set up attacks Cox would have been forced to engage or get dinged and/or Taylor wouldn't have fell victim to the slip and slide due to all the pushing.

Sadly, for Taylor, it looked like the injury completely took his mind off of his normal offense and played right into Cox's. Cox showed a ton of heart and did just enough(credit his ability to sweat profusely) to counter at the right times.

Edited by MSU158

I thought both Taylor and Dake would finally win this time.

Wrong on both counts.

Cox won and will be a good representative for the US just as Jordan Burroughs will be. Cox will continue to get better and working to win the top spot may well see him win it all. He has the tools and the heart to do so.

Hope he goes all the way this year and for many more to come.

Tough break for Taylor as he came up just short in a big spot.  It feels far more mental than physical yet again.  I can't believe neither he nor Kyle Dake have made a World/Olympic team yet, this far removed from college.  It's mind-boggling.

Also, it should be said, if an Iowa guy behaved like Taylor did, or either Brands did what Cael et al. did, there would be a firestorm on these boards.  Barely a peep.  Didn't bother me, I get the emotion and frustration bubbling over in that moment of agony, especially when you thought you had finally locked it up.  But still, double standards and all that.