Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Thomasello

He wins the title at either weight and makes a world team next year

I think he ends up at 125. He may not start the season there, but that is their only shot at winning the team title. Otherwise 125 is a likely non qualification weight, and certainly won't score any points at NCAAs. 

It is senior year for Bo Jordan, Kyle Snyder and Nato. This is their last chance at a team title, and tOSU will have a rebuilding year (still on the podium) next year. I don't see why they won't do this, unless he physically cannot make it. 

I expect he will start at 133, and make the cut as late into the season as he is allowed to. 

The only potential challengers he will have are Suriano and the returning champion, but I expect that he will beat both. Suriano I see as the biggest stylistic threat. 

Ohio State, with the right line up, could beat PSU.

Nato - 25 points

Pletcher - 10ish

Mckenna/Hayes - 5-20 points

Micah/Hayes - 5-16 points

Micah/Racer/Burcher - 0-16 points

Campbell/Burcher - 0-14 points

Bo - 15-20 points

Martin - 10-20 points

Moore - 15-24 points

Snyder - 22-28 points

Yes, this is optimistic, but it suggests that there is a potential path. When there is a shot, why not go for it? This is their last chance to challenge for the title, likely for a couple of years (although they do have some amazing recruits coming in...but not as good as PSU's)

Housebuy, your range of points is a low of 112 and a high of 193. I can't see them anywhere near 193. They could score 135 and finish a distant 2nd. 

Even if Nato goes 125 and wins, I see Suriano then finishing 2nd. Nevills could also finish 2nd. Add 5 returning champs most of whom will score a ton of bonus. 

TBar I suspect you started this thread, waiting for someone like Housebuy to draw up that line-up for tOSU with Nato at 125, saying tOSU has a shot at winning it, just so you could say 'nope, even with all that you still lose' to the Penn St juggernaut.

I think we all agree, but it sure does get more interesting if Nato can go (effectively) at 125. 

TBar I suspect you started this thread, waiting for someone like Housebuy to draw up that line-up for tOSU with Nato at 125, saying tOSU has a shot at winning it, just so you could say 'nope, even with all that you still lose' to the Penn St juggernaut.

I think we all agree, but it sure does get more interesting if Nato can go (effectively) at 125. 

I just wanted opinions as to whether or not people believe NaTo will go 125. I think it will be hard for him, and he even said that wrestling had become not fun anymore when he had to make that cut. This past wknd he makes that cut and loses to Gilman. Maybe he is stronger at 133. 

Per Nate, his decision hinges in large part upon the new international weights.  Things change, and there are of course other factors, but I don't think we'll know anything definitively until the new weight classes are finalized.  Even then we might not know until late in the season--I don't see pulling Pletcher from redshirt until it's certain Nate can hold the weight.  

This was a creative way to start a thread about Suriano.

Housebuy, your range of points is a low of 112 and a high of 193. I can't see them anywhere near 193. They could score 135 and finish a distant 2nd.

Even if Nato goes 125 and wins, I see Suriano then finishing 2nd. Nevills could also finish 2nd. Add 5 returning champs most of whom will score a ton of bonus.

Haha I don't mean to suggest they get anywhere near 193. They won't. It is meant to demonstrate that it is reasonable for them to beat PSU, even though they are big underdogs.

It wouldn't be reasonable to say Iowa could win next season, so it would be silly to pull Spencer Lee's shirt during a rebuilding year.

This is the year tOSU has their best shot at winning for the next two at least, so I think they put their best possible lineup out there.

You think Tomasello is able to overtake Gilman once Gilman starts wrestling exclusively freestyle and gets all the experience that comes with being number 1 on the ladder?

I think Tomasello is that good

Not taking anything away from Gilman. Super impressed with him. The two of them have close matches every time. I don't think it is ridiculous to predict Tomasello getting a win over him.

Per Nate, his decision hinges in large part upon the new international weights.  Things change, and there are of course other factors, but I don't think we'll know anything definitively until the new weight classes are finalized.  Even then we might not know until late in the season--I don't see pulling Pletcher from redshirt until it's certain Nate can hold the weight.  

Correct answer right here.  

And the weights are going to 55 and 60 anyway.  

Gilman has never lost to him in freestyle and only once in folkstyle. It isn't a ridiculous prediction due to the relative closeness of the matches but Tomasello has been putting a heavy emphasis on freestyle over the last few years while Gilman did not compete anywhere on the FS circuit since Jr Worlds until the last chance qualifier and was still able to get a 6-2 win over him.

I personally feel that NaTo has the opportunity to win the WTT next year as well.  He's EXTREMELY close (in score/skills) to Gilman/Ramos.  As a US National Team member, he'll now have the opportunity to travel with the team, and compete internationally.  If he takes them up on their offer, gains that experience, he will also continue to get better, as will Gilman.  The wildcard is going to be Fix...  

I genuinely appreciate someone like NaTo.  His demeanor, both on and off the mat.  He has the skills to back it up.  Regardless, NaTo will be a force at whatever NCAA and International weight he chooses to go.