Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Sanderson / DT Sportsmanship

I was really disappointed to see the magic man's and Sanderson's actions and subsequent ejection after that last match. It would be great if they learned to lose with humility and respect. They could really learn something from Tony Ramos and his great acts of sportsmanship after his match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flo has a teaser offering to tell what Cael said and did. But their video does not show anything. 

Seems very unlike him-- he us usually pretty stonefaced.

Does anyone know what he said and did to merit ejection?

Flo has a teaser offering to tell what Cael said and did. But their video does not show anything.

Seems very unlike him-- he us usually pretty stonefaced.

Does anyone know what he said and did to merit ejection?

You can probably find it in the countless other threads about it.

The video doesn't show anything? The video I saw shows Cael throw the brick at the ref and Taylor kick the brick across the mat. Cael then throws a towel at the ref at which point I believe he is red carded. Cael then tosses a chair on the mat in the direction of the ref in disgust. While that is going on Taylor paces the mat screaming "That's bull$h*t" at Bill Zadick repeatedly.

Didn't seem like they were having much FUN.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/57506-why-cael-sanderson-was-ejected-from-world-team-trials#.WT_igevytEY 

Edited by wrestlingphish

The video doesn't show anything? The video I saw shows Cael throw the brick at the ref and Taylor kick the brick across the mat. Cael then throws a towel at the ref at which point I believe he is red carded. Cael then tosses a chair on the mat in the direction of the ref in disgust. While that is going on Taylor paces the mat screaming "That's bull$h*t" at Bill Zadick repeatedly.

Didn't seem like they were having much FUN.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/57506-why-cael-sanderson-was-ejected-from-world-team-trials#.WT_igevytEY 

You're right. It was grainy and in the corner of the screen. But I see it now. 

Shades of Bobby Knight.

Does USA wrestling know who their dealing with? It is the great Cael-the biggest name in our sport. Honestly though Taylor should have won. The ref gave Cox a pass because he was hurt plain and simple. Any of us would have been emotional there and felt robbed. Plus there was no chair thrown. No big deal.

Does USA wrestling know who their dealing with? It is the great Cael-the biggest name in our sport. Honestly though Taylor should have won. The ref gave Cox a pass because he was hurt plain and simple. Any of us would have been emotional there and felt robbed. Plus there was no chair thrown. No big deal.

LOL the chair is clearly tossed on to the stage. Or was there some sort of airbag like mechanism under the chair that was triggered that launched it up there? Cael certainly didn't set it up there since it bounced and then fell over. 

Edited by wrestlingphish

I can totally understand why Taylor and Sanderson were upset.  That was one of the worst refereed matches I have ever seen in a major competition.  

1.  The mat was so slippery from Cox's sweat that it was like an ice rink.  Why didn't the ref have a towel run over the mat?  It was so obvious with the mat shining from all the sweat.  It was impossible for Taylor to get enough traction to even shoot.  I have wrestled on mats like that during long workouts with 50 guys on the mat at one time and its miserable.  I also saw Taylor slide out of bounds on his knees and still get called for a pushout.

2.  Cox should have been nailed for stalling numerous times.  It was SO blatant yet the ref did nothing.  He was backing up all over the place and not engaging.

3.  I also saw Cox step out which wasn't called.

I like Cox, but in this case, I truly believe Taylor got screwed and was the better wrestler.  He got screwed by that ref who should not be doing major competitions.

What is the rule regarding toweling off the mat and/or a wrestler?  Is the ref required to do it if requested by the opposing wrestler?  Is it up to his judgment?  Or is he not allowed to?  

I too, thought Cox stepped out and wasn't called for it.  Then again, I see things in almost every freestyle match that confirm that my understanding of the rules is non-existent.

No one asked me, but I would have practically guaranteed that Cox would lose the first match.  He doesn't wrestle that well until he gets warmed up (perhaps sweating?)

Keep in mind, Taylor trained for this match for a year solid.  Cox had many other things on his mind, and didn't even decide to compete until about a month ago.  The fact that Cox was right there with Taylor (coming off the most impressive World Cup performance) is actually astounding.  Cox will be so much better by September its ridiculous.

I can sympathize with those who think Taylor was better on that day.  No way he's still better after Cox focuses on winning a World Championship for another 3 months.

Does USA wrestling know who their dealing with? It is the great Cael-the biggest name in our sport. Honestly though Taylor should have won. The ref gave Cox a pass because he was hurt plain and simple. Any of us would have been emotional there and felt robbed. Plus there was no chair thrown. No big deal.

Cox scored two push outs after the injury. There's is no way Taylor should use won that 3rd bout.

Cael doesn't have the refs intimidated. And he's s very poor loser!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

I am a new to wrestling fan, but I don't understand the push out rule.  I know there is a movement to encourage action but pushing another wrestler out of bounds shows no technique or skill.  Watching the Taylor/Cox third period and seeing Taylor just push Cox around on his knees was silly. That did not resemble wrestling at all.  There has to be a better way to encourage action.

Taylor lost more from a tactical meltdown more than any other aspect.  Yes Cox perspiration was a factor and yes he backed up a lot.  But, Taylor went into near Sumo mode looking like he fully expected to be able to push Cox out of bounds repeatedly.  Cox wisely used this momentum to circle back in at the edge multiple times and catch Taylor in trouble multiple times. THAT is why he was never called for passivity.  Taylor was as much responsible for the problem as Cox.  He went completely off script.  If he would have simply stalked Cox and setup any variety of attacks he is so good at, Cox would have definitively been forced to engage or be put on the clock.  Either way that would have put Taylor in the driver's seat for either a leg attack or shot clock.

Instead Taylor went into Sumo mode, which turned into dog sledding and finished off with frustrated flailing.  He had plenty of time after the injury to go to his best offensive gameplan and simply get 1 takedown.  For that whole period Cox should have been the one in panic mode and it honestly looked like Taylor was instead.

I don't know what was said in the corner while Cox was hurt but it sure didn't look like gameplanning.  They should have been discussing what to do if Cox comes back and how best to score the points necessary to win.

I really like David Taylor. He is one of my favorite wrestlers but the Taylor with blinders on people on this forum are making fools of themselves.

David Taylor is 5 plus years older than Cox. Has been training like crazy to beat Cox while Cox was still doing his college thing. Then on top of that Cox badly damages his knee. Taylor could not get the job done with all of this going his way because he was just plain not good enough. It should have been a piece of cake for him and he could not get the job done.

I can totally understand why Taylor and Sanderson were upset.  That was one of the worst refereed matches I have ever seen in a major competition.  

1.  The mat was so slippery from Cox's sweat that it was like an ice rink.  Why didn't the ref have a towel run over the mat?  It was so obvious with the mat shining from all the sweat.  It was impossible for Taylor to get enough traction to even shoot.  I have wrestled on mats like that during long workouts with 50 guys on the mat at one time and its miserable.  I also saw Taylor slide out of bounds on his knees and still get called for a pushout.

2.  Cox should have been nailed for stalling numerous times.  It was SO blatant yet the ref did nothing.  He was backing up all over the place and not engaging.

3.  I also saw Cox step out which wasn't called.

I like Cox, but in this case, I truly believe Taylor got screwed and was the better wrestler.  He got screwed by that ref who should not be doing major competitions.

Sammy Julien (Julian?  Not sure on the spelling) is one of the best refs in the world.  I think, and I could be wrong, he was the only American ref graded highly enough that he worked the Olympics last year.

First and foremost it is a shame the Cox got hurt.

For whatever reason DT did not get the job done. To me he looked exhausted the final minutes. No technique, no tactical objective. Just a wild sloppy chase scene.

Yes, the officials could have done a better job at the end. Hopefully they learn from this and get better. Wet mat MIGHT have impacted result if Taylor had been more disciplined in his attacks. Cael and company should gift the refs a monogrammed towel set before another Taylor - Cox match.

It's always better to avoid losing your cool after a tough loss. Throwing things at the ref is uncalled for (although I've seen 1 year olds throw sippy cups, which are much harder than foam or cotton, at greater velocities). But it is childish to throw sippy cups or soft objects in any case. I'd have no problem with some sort of proportional sanction against Cael like banning him from being in Taylor's corner for a future wrestling or synchronized swimming finals match.

The chair came back toward Cael after it was set on the stage - if it was thrown he threw it toward himself. Childish to put a chair on the stage but a failed protest at best. Lack of protest coordination for an Olympian. These protests were the equivalent of a baseball manager kicking dirt unto a umps shoes. Not being a part of the apology industrial complex I don't care if an apology is issued or not. I just wish he wouldn't act that way.

I'm sure there are SOME Cael and Taylor haters that are feigning disappointment and outrage who are actually (secretly) pleased with the opportunity to kick dirt on Cael and Taylor's shoes regarding their actions. Disingenuous outrage is quite the thing nowadays. Enjoy you moment because they set themselves up for this dirt kicking.

I don't have any issues with the NLWC sportsmanship TOWARD Cox - Taylor returned for the handshake and I saw a blue cap console and congratulate Cox at the end of the match.

I'm glad Taylor did not back into the Cup through injury - I dread the topics and cheap shots that would launch if he failed to medal. Better an honorable failure and give it a shot again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like David Taylor. He is one of my favorite wrestlers but the Taylor with blinders on people on this forum are making fools of themselves.

David Taylor is 5 plus years older than Cox. Has been training like crazy to beat Cox while Cox was still doing his college thing. Then on top of that Cox badly damages his knee. Taylor could not get the job done with all of this going his way because he was just plain not good enough. It should have been a piece of cake for him and he could not get the job done.

4 years and 3 months

/pedantic

Does DT call it quits after 2020? Assuming of course he finds his spot on a world team by then (I assume he does, especially with 2 added weights) how long do you guys think he will be invested in active competition? I could see Cox going through 2024.