Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

So how does our team perform?

Seriously, if he shows up like he is capable, just WHO could beat Retherford?

We'll see him in the finals.

I'll assume you arent familiar with world competition. He does have match losses to JO and Frank in the last few weeks and neither of them would be a favored finalist. Going to be a lot of coinflip matches and hopefully he comes out on the right side of them. But remember how Pico's style really flustered him.... picture that but coming from proven world athletes. 50% or so "to medal" seems legit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Edited by spladle08

Tremendous optimism. 

I'd like to see him go unscathed domestically before I pencil him into the world finals.    What are some of his best international wins to date?   

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

He was a cadet world champ wasnt he, and I think the wrestler he defeated at Beat the streets was a junior world medalist. But I cant imagine him beating any of the top senior guys. Frank about had Chamizo beat though, so what do I know

Edited by spladle08

He was a cadet world champ wasnt he, and I think the wrestler he defeated at Beat the streets was a junior world medalist. But I cant imagine him beating any of the top senior guys. Frank about had Chamizo beat though, so what do I know

Was he?  I thought he was behind Pico all those years.   Or did he get on the team prior to Pico hitting the scene?    

There's no question he's  great talent, but cadet world titles from years ago aren't usually great indicators.   

Besides Jordan Oliver if he gets cleared, Baev (or 5-6 other Russians), Tobier, Gomez, Navoachkov, Yakobashvili, Bajrang, Kaya, Nasiri, any of the Azerbaijanis, Habat, and Bucur can beat Retherford if he shows up like he is capable.

Gilman:  DNP. doesn't have the offense to threaten these guys imho

Steiber:  5th-DNP.  He can beat anyone in this deeeep weight, but i don't see him beating multiple of them without losing a shootout along the way.

Retherford: DNP. unless he gets by his first two matches and gains steam when they ramp up to every ~20 minutes.

Green: Bronze.  Top-heavy weight. He could win, but needs a solid draw.

Burroughs:  Gold or Bronze.  No one can beat him in the finals and only the Russian can beat him before that.

Cox:  Silver if healthy.  criminally underrated. Yaz will show up much bigger and better than world cup.

Snyder:  Gold-Silver.  Wins if he can keep it to a TD battle without giving up turns in transition.

Gwiz: DNP.  Not quite yet.  

My predictions for each weight followed by various medal probabilities.

57) Gilman - DNP

Never counting him out in any match, but too much depth here to expect a medal.

*Likelihood of a medal (16%)

-Gold (2%)

-Silver (4%)

-Bronze (10%)

61) Stieber - 5th

His inconsistency and suspect defense lately have me somewhat pessimistic of Logi Bear bringing home hardware this year.

*Likelihood of a medal (40%)

-Gold (10%)

-Silver (15%)

-Bronze (15%)

65) Retherford - Bronze

Love this kid's gas tank. I think with a decent draw and avoiding an early loss, he starts to wear his opponents down as the tournament grinds along.

*Likelihood of a medal (35%)

-Gold (10%)

-Silver (10%)

-Bronze (15%)

70: Green - Silver

Took a few years, but his takedown transitions to the lace have become world class. A legit contender and I really like his chances for a medal. As a Nebraska native, I'll be rooting extra hard for WhoIsJamesG to bring home the gold.

*Likelihood of a medal (40%)

-Gold (8%)

-Silver (12%)

-Bronze (20%)

74) Burroughs - Gold

The king is still the king. Think he goes into this tournament as the favorite and with something to prove after the disappointment in Rio. I attended UNL at the same time as Jordan, so I've been fortunate to watch him compete for more than a decade now. It'll be uglier and grittier than the first four titles, but I think the champ has enough left in the tank to bring home another gold in Paris. 

*Likelihood of a medal (70%)

-Gold (30%)

-Silver (15%)

-Bronze (25%)

86) Cox - Silver

The guy is just a physical mismatch for anybody he comes against. With Sadulaev up at 97 and Yazdani Charati still transitioning to the weight, I like his chances. 

*Likelihood of a medal (50%)

-Gold (15%)

-Silver (15%)

-Bronze (20%)

97) Snyder - Gold

I predict the boy king to take out the p4p best wrestler on the planet. If he can avoid big points against the gut, I think Syderman gets it done again. 

*Likelihood of a medal (90%)

-Gold (40%)

-Silver (30%)

-Bronze (20%)

125) Gwiz - DNP

Too much depth and not enough international success to expect much this year. With Tervel done, I'm hoping Stevenson can make us a medal threat again within a few years time.

*Likelihood of a medal (5%)

-Gold (0%)

-Silver (0%)

-Bronze (5%)

Total Medals = five (two gold, two silver, one bronze). Aside from 57 and 125, I really like our chances to bring home some hardware.

I hope you are right but it would only be about the thousandth time people on these forums underestimated the rest of the world.