Sign in to follow this  
grappler6

Bleise to Minnesota

Short and Wanzek also return as R12 wrestlers so certainly in the AA convo.

184-Webster 197-Steveson 285-Streifel will have to prove themselves. All possess talent, but time will tell how far it will take them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering all the turmoil last year, Minnesota is rebounding extremely well and may be back sooner rather then later. Eggum is doing a nice job and if shuck and jamming can control themselves, I might actually not mind seeing them do well.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I believe we are starting to see that Eggum had a lot more to do with their success under JRob than people realize. Staying/getting back to a "Top5" program will be very difficult, but they look like they kept the ship from capsizing and lost a ton less ground than expected.  Transferring in a Michigan native means I will be a bit more of a Minnesota fan this year as well, so yes, PRINT THOSE T-SHIRTS!

I believe we are starting to see that Eggum had a lot more to do with their success under JRob than people realize. Staying/getting back to a "Top5" program will be very difficult, but they look like they kept the ship from capsizing and lost a ton less ground than expected.  Transferring in a Michigan native means I will be a bit more of a Minnesota fan this year as well, so yes, PRINT THOSE T-SHIRTS!

Even with the loss of Bleise, Ludwig recruits Michigan VERY well - we could use you on the NIU train! 

Just checked this guy out. R12 guy last year, with at least 3 Seniors who finished above him moving on. Gave Lavion Mayes all he could handle (Mayes made it to the finals and got teched by Zain). I'd say Bleise is a strong AA candidate next year.

Even with the loss of Bleise, Ludwig recruits Michigan VERY well - we could use you on the NIU train! 

Believe me, NIU has had me cheering for them on multiple occasions.  I never wrestled Ryan(he was lighter), but I saw him wrestle a bunch.  I believe he was only a year behind me in High School.

I guess it's law of the jungle but personally I hate seeing guys given a chance by a smaller program, develop dramatically, and then jump ship for supposedly greener pastures.  Ryan is a great guy and his team did a surprising job down the homestretch.  Hope he can reload and bust some of the remaining guys through to AA to keep them put.

Bleise also has a younger brother. Anyone have a take on his abilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks a bit soft to me.  Got "out physicalled" at States at 145. Amine buzz-sawed right through him.  He knows wrestling and if he can put on some muscle but maintain the weight he could be something.  Still, at this stage, he is far behind where his brother was.

I guess it's law of the jungle but personally I hate seeing guys given a chance by a smaller program, develop dramatically, and then jump ship for supposedly greener pastures.  Ryan is a great guy and his team did a surprising job down the homestretch.  Hope he can reload and bust some of the remaining guys through to AA to keep them put.

I agree. It must be frustrating for a coach of a program like NIU to develop a wrestler and then watch another program enjoy the fruits of your labor. I understand from the student's perspective: better program, better conference, and better school.

I agree. It must be frustrating for a coach of a program like NIU to develop a wrestler and then watch another program enjoy the fruits of your labor. I understand from the student's perspective: better program, better conference, and better school.

Sometimes "better" is purely relative and entirely individual.  When  I coached college, we often got transfers who were convinced they were going "big-time" at a D-I school and they were swallowed up by the environment.  While one could argue that the big schools were "better," they certainly weren't better for the kids we picked up on the rebound.  The world is wide and one size does not always fit all (I think of guys like Marcus Levesseur and Joey Davis in this context).