Sign in to follow this  
MatEater

Odds Marsteller forgoes College

I thin it would be the opposite unless I've missed something. I think with the rumor that wrestling may be taken out of the Olympics it only increases the probability that he goes to college! (ie PSU :D )

It greatly increases the probability he makes a fully committed run at 2016, which I assume he would do in CO springs.

“a fully committed run” straight into a brick wall (beyond 2016). If I were him I would be thinking long term. A free ride/degree from a prestigious university seems more appealing than a one time, all or nothing, dead-end quest…IMO.

Marsteller's path is as clear as "20/20" to me. He needs to focus on getting that free-ride / college education where he can continue to develop his wrestling skills with a quality program and set his Olympic goals on "2020".

He graduates HIGH SCHOOL in 2014 and can RS 2015, get his four national titles from 2016 - 2020 and make the Olympic team, win his gold medal in 2020 and live happily ever after. I doubt he makes the Olympic team for 2016. He can dominate Cadets but he struggled with Juniors and he's no sure bet with seniors at his young age. He needs to stop pushing the time table and set achievable goals that give him something to fall back on like a college education just in case he were to suffer something like, say a dislocated elbow or torn ACL that would prevent him from winning a gold medal.

skikayaker, have you checked the news today?

Are you referring to wrestling being cut and not being an Olympic sport in 2020? I read the article from Flowrestling referencing the AP report. I have a hard time believing this will become a reality. There will be tremendous push-back from the key wrestling European countries, Iran, Russia and the U.S.

I think it's a good strategy for IOC committee members to become important enough to have their palms greased with payoff money, as has been done in the past.

Here's the reporting from the New York Times, my hometown paper and "the newspaper of record":

Freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling will be contested at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, but they will be excluded from the 2020 Summer Games, . . . , the I.O.C. said Tuesday.There is a chance that the Olympic committee can change its mind at a meeting in May, when it considers the 26th sport to add to the 2020 Games, but wrestling’s future seems doubtful at the moment, according to veteran observers of the Games.

In recent years, . . . the I.O.C. has expressed concern about the growing size of the Summer Games and has wanted to cap the number of athletes at about 10,500. It has also said it wants to draw younger viewers among the international television audience. Among the sports that wrestling must compete with for future inclusion in the Games are climbing and wakeboarding . . .

There's just so much that's wrong with the foregoing that I don't know where to start. The world's oldest (and noblest) sport is being replaced by . . . wakeboarding???

There is no sport that is a bigger slap in the face to athletics than dressage.

I feel like it probably takes more athleticism to control a large animal than to, say, pull a bowstring or trigger. Dressage is pretty stupid, though.

Skipping college to make a premature Olympic run while he's still a kid and is overmatched on the senior level makes no sense. So far his marquee win this year is a double overtime win against the 2nd ranked high school kid behind him. At 74 kg he'd have a number of tough college kids to get through just for the chance to wrestle Taylor, Dake, and Howe, who are all behind Burroughs. Give it a go, but do it as a member of a college team, and then hope by 2020 they've reinstated wrestling in the Olympics.

Guest Hammerlock3

he obviously works his schedule around maintaining his reputation

There are many high school wrestlers who simply go everywhere. He is Far far far from this club.

he obviously works his schedule around maintaining his reputation

There are many high school wrestlers who simply go everywhere. He is Far far far from this club.

yes, he certainly does hide from big tournaments in little things like Cadet Fargo, Super 32, Powerade, PIAA AAA tournament, Junior Worlds...maybe one day he will enter something of note...

the kid was entering college opens in 8th grade...obviously he hates challenging himself...

Guest Hammerlock3

He never wrestled in Junior worlds, and as I said had excuses for losing to older people at Fila Juniors.

He entered Fargo as a cadet while doing interviews about making the olympic team the next year....so he practically bragged about ducking competition that year.

PA States and Powerade? He went to beat the kids he knew he could beat sense elementary school. PS he can't skip his own state tournament stupid.

He annoucned he would be back at powerade about three minutes after he got hurt at cadet worlds. well clear of super 32, beast and Ironman, and before Weircoch dropped a weight.

Guest Hammerlock3

He never wrestled in Junior worlds, and as I said had excuses for losing to older people at Fila Juniors.

He entered Fargo as a cadet while doing interviews about making the olympic team the next year....so he practically bragged about ducking competition that year.

PA States and Powerade? He went to beat the kids he knew he could beat sense elementary school. PS he can't skip his own state tournament stupid.

He annoucned he would be back at powerade about three minutes after he got hurt at cadet worlds. well clear of super 32, beast and Ironman, and before Weircoch dropped a weight.

I don't like to get involve in the online pissing contest but Hammerlock, you are a moron. The kid won Super 32 last year and didn't compete this year at that event because he broke his arm at THE CADET WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. Does a kid who ducks competition go to the world championships? He also tried his hand at the Junior level while being Cadet aged. As far as Beast and Ironman goes, the last I knew high school kids don't draw up their teams schedule. Get a clue.

There is no sport that is a bigger slap in the face to athletics than dressage.

I feel like it probably takes more athleticism to control a large animal than to, say, pull a bowstring or trigger. Dressage is pretty stupid, though.

I take issue with the sports that only the elite can participate in. You need a million dollar horse and to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth. It's the furthest thing from pure in athletics today.

BTW, who is the athlete in Dressage?

The kid has shown he is an elite young talent.

Stamping his ticket for anything beyond the next step is silly at this point.

4titles??? Really? That easy huh?? He has yet to take the mat DI and prove anything.

If wrestling has taught anyone anything it is that it isn't easy for anyone.

Putting the cart in front of the horse has never worked out well for anyone in this sport.

It greatly increases the probability he makes a fully committed run at 2016, which I assume he would do in CO springs.

“a fully committed run” straight into a brick wall (beyond 2016). If I were him I would be thinking long term. A free ride/degree from a prestigious university seems more appealing than a one time, all or nothing, dead-end quest…IMO.

good chance he'll get some offers in 2016. 23 year old frosh with 4 years of training for the olympics sounds marketable to me.