Sign in to follow this  
MatEater

Odds Marsteller forgoes College

What is all of this really about??

Is he a poor student or do people really think he is going to step right in and beat out the

likes of the 3-4 best guys in any weight in the country??

It isn't easy to make an olympic/world team at any weight but it is easier to do it at 121.5 than 74K.

Guest Hammerlock3

I could deal with the outrage at my comments about his reluctance to travel....if it wasn't on a topic implying he is a contender for an olympic title....

I could deal with the outrage at my comments about his reluctance to travel....if it wasn't on a topic implying he is a contender for an olympic title....

Not sure where I implied he would win or even qualify. I simply suggested that if this is in fact wrestlings last go round we may see him and some other young guys (McCauley, Snyder, etc) adapt their educational endeavors.

You implied that he ducks competition to protect his record when in fact he wrestles at the toughest tournaments that he can go to and takes on all comers.

Guest Hammerlock3

I love the people who either don't read or ignore the points in my post then just restate reality.

hey look he is down at 160.......weird

If he skips college just to try and make the 2016 Olympic team he is wasting his time not going to happen I am thinking he would be lucky to be top eight at the senior level in 2016 and that is not meant as a slam but more a reality check. Hope he is wrestling in college and doing well.

Guest Hammerlock3

alwayswrestling said what I had been trying to get across over several posts in two words.

"reality check"

I know that it was along time ago, way back in double O 6. There was this young fellow named Henry Cejudo. Believe it or not, he skipped college, and started training for the Olympics. You will never guess what happened. He WON the gold medal two years later in the Olympics. Now I know that it is a little different with people like Burroughs, Taylor, Dake, and Howe, all potentially vying for the spot. It is not however, totally out of the question that Marstellar would embrace the challenge if it was his only shot.

Hopefully, the worst case scenario is that wrestling misses one cycle, and returns in 2024. That would put Chance at prime Olympic age I believe. Bottom line, the original post is not out of the question.

good chance he'll get some offers in 2016. 23 year old frosh with 4 years of training for the olympics sounds marketable to me.

Post-high school, after one year of organized practices, your NCAA Division I eligibility clock starts to tick.

good chance he'll get some offers in 2016. 23 year old frosh with 4 years of training for the olympics sounds marketable to me.

Post-high school, after one year of organized practices, your NCAA Division I eligibility clock starts to tick.

There are some exceptions for the Olympic hopefuls (and believe it or not for this situation- no written exception for the military), but I'm not sure he qualifies just yet. I think he'd have to be up the ladder somewhere. I don't feel like looking it up right now.

I love the people who either don't read or ignore the points in my post then just restate reality.

You never made one point that had anything to do with him trying for the olympics. It was all bashing him for not wrestling at tough tournaments, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Yeah he is down at 160, which is his natural weight, after wrestling up a weight and still beating the top guy in the entire country at that weight.

You never made one point that had anything to do with him trying for the olympics. It was all bashing him for not wrestling at tough tournaments, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Yeah he is down at 160, which is his natural weight, after wrestling up a weight and still beating the top guy in the entire country at that weight.

And it's not like a returning state champion who is ranked #5 in the country isn't at 160 either. Plus, he'll wrestle him at districts and probably states.

Chance takes on all comers. You might not see him wrestle the flashiest schedule because Kennard Dale has a poor wrestling tradition and has very novice kids. They can't hit the Ironman, Beast, Clash, etc circuit just because Chance is there. They already take it on the chin by going out to Powerade, JUST FOR CHANCE. Most the rest of the team went 0-2.

Whoever says that Chance Marstellar ducks competition is only looking to start an argument. It's not like this kid hasn't wrestled in the PSU Open while in the 8th grade (and won two matches) or made it to the Cadet World semi-finals this year before dislocating his elbow. He's beaten 3 AAA state champions in scholastic competition. At an offseason freestyle tournament, he challenged another AAA state champ next weight (did lose that match).

There are some exceptions for the Olympic hopefuls (and believe it or not for this situation- no written exception for the military), but I'm not sure he qualifies just yet. I think he'd have to be up the ladder somewhere. I don't feel like looking it up right now.

Do you mean he could take an Olympic redshirt during an Olympic year? Otherwise the clock would still be ticking.

Do you mean he could take an Olympic redshirt during an Olympic year? Otherwise the clock would still be ticking.

This was concerning the relatively new rule (to wrestling, at least) of delaying initial enrollment. The clock starts if you delay more than one year. In looking it up now (14.2.3.2)- the only exception is for National/International competition at the senior or World University level. And even that appears (in my reading of the NCAA double-speak) to only allow one more year (a second year).

So, at least theoretically, he could sign with a university (PSU?), graduate from HS in 2014, redshirt in 2015 while training FS at said university’s regional Olympic training center….then, if he’s high enough on the ladder for the SR team, get an additional Olympic redshirt for 2016, then debut as a redshirt freshman (in Happy Valley?) in 2017 (or in 2016 if he isn't high enough on the ladder to qualify for an oly redshirt). I guess it could work without the loss of any NCAA eligibility.

This was concerning the relatively new rule (to wrestling, at least) of delaying initial enrollment. The clock starts if you delay more than one year. In looking it up now (14.2.3.2)- the only exception is for National/International competition at the senior or World University level. And even that appears (in my reading of the NCAA double-speak) to only allow one more year (a second year).

http://saas.usc.edu/files/2012/08/NCAA- ... Manual.pdf

page 155, 14.2.3.2.1, 14.2.3.2.1.1

It's hard to decipher, but it looks like you can take two years off after high school and do freestyle, as long as you qualify for the Senior or University World Team trials -- but it's also possible that you would need to get to the final best of three in the Senior or University World team trials in that second year. Otherwise you lose a year's D1 eligibility. Seems risky.

A single year off to do freestyle is no problem. If you can follow that with an Olympic redshirt year, which is much easier to get (depending on the NCAA's interpretation), no problem. Otherwise, your clock starts.

I wonder how you would get a precise interpretation of the bylaw?

I have never really understood this love affair with Marstellar. He is a very solid and talented wrestler. But he is far from anything we havent seen before. Yet many wanna give him NCAA titles, Olympic births, ect. Its crazy to me. Dustin Schlatter is the greatest high school wrestler I have ever seen. He won one NCAA title. Metcalf was netter than Chance in high school, he won 2. I believe chance is very similar to CP Schlatter, who was an all time great. No NCAA titles there. The best wrestler high school has to offer is Bo Jordan. Period.

I have never really understood this love affair with Marstellar. He is a very solid and talented wrestler. But he is far from anything we havent seen before. Yet many wanna give him NCAA titles, Olympic births, ect. Its crazy to me. Dustin Schlatter is the greatest high school wrestler I have ever seen. He won one NCAA title. Metcalf was netter than Chance in high school, he won 2. I believe chance is very similar to CP Schlatter, who was an all time great. No NCAA titles there. The best wrestler high school has to offer is Bo Jordan. Period.

I believe what you just wrote there is an "opinion", not a fact. I'd disagree with it and suggest that both Marstellar and Kyle Snyder are better than Bo Jordan, but that's jes my humble $0.02.

Here is another humble opinion. The best HS wrestler I have ever seen is Cary Kolat.

I remember Kolat placing third at Midlands at 16 yrs. old and Dave Schultz pinned Chuck Yagla as a senior in high school. (may have been freestyle) Chance is a great wrestler and if he can do what Dave and Cary did he will be in elite company. For the post about a free ride, please don't use that term, it is insulting. Student-athletes work extremely hard to maintain a standard of excellence to keep that" free ride", especially in a sport like wrestling where very few have full scholarships.

My opinion, the love affair comes from flowrestlings obsession with him and their obsession with PA wrestling in general.

I believe what you just wrote there is an "opinion", not a fact. I'd disagree with it and suggest that both Marstellar and Kyle Snyder are better than Bo Jordan, but that's jes my humble $0.02.

Here is another humble opinion. The best HS wrestler I have ever seen is Cary Kolat.

my thoughts exactly,Kolat without a doubt

I think we can all agree that Marsteller is one of the best high school wrestlers right now. But there's no guarantee that he will make the leap to being an elite D1 wrestler. And there's no guarantee he will make the additional leap to unseating a multi-time world champ.

I hope he doesn't forgo college to train for the Olympics. Realistically, his chances of making the 2016 Olympic team are zero. There will be plenty of time after college to try to make a world team and compete at worlds.

I think there's a reasonable comparison to be made between Marstellar and Chris Phillips. Phillips was physically mature as a 9th grader with speed and technique that was very rare in an upperwt frosh. Marstellar shows similar power and technique at a young age. He strikes me as likely to remain more motivated than Phillips but I'm not sure if he'll always be dominant or if others will catch up with him. He is undoubtedly a talent but it's hard to see him as unique in this regard. Will he really be as good in college as Jordan Oliver? Logan Stieber? Kyle Dake?