• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#341 TBar1977

TBar1977

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,133 posts

Posted Today, 09:20 AM

Connor McGregor would hit Pico with that straight left and knock him out the same way he knocked Jose Aldo out. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#342 AllISeeIsBronze

AllISeeIsBronze
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted Today, 09:38 AM

Connor McGregor would hit Pico with that straight left and knock him out the same way he knocked Jose Aldo out.

Speaking of fantasy match ups...

#343 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted Today, 10:03 AM

Guys, BigTenFanboy is just trolling you. That's the only reasonable explanation to all of this.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I being a troll if I get offended by what Wildturkey just said?

#344 nyum

nyum
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted Today, 10:17 AM

Am I being a troll if I get offended by what Wildturkey just said?

Nah. In that case you're the one being trolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#345 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 28,731 posts

Posted Today, 10:36 AM

LOL.... last I heard McGregor isn't doing MMA but is instead to get beaten up by Mayweather in basically an exhibition for Mayweather and a good payday for both. Heck I'd get beaten up by either guy for a good payday. 

#346 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted Today, 04:40 PM

Just because pico may be the most well rounded prospect ever, does not make him the best prospect ever.  Jon Jones was the best prospect ever given the enormous potential that he had due to his other worldly athleticism, length, and strong wrestling background. Jones just didn't get the hype that Pico has gotten. When you analyze how good a prospect is, though, it's critical to not just look at how skilled they are, but also the potential that they have to improve.  

I'd say Pico is one of the best prospects ever, as well as one of the most hyped. Jones was just better, and the tape doesn't lie. 

You also have to knock Jones for character issues.   Multiple kids out of wedlock, a big phony christian act, and really a poor attitude (incredibly giant ego and arrogance).   That cuts into the total package.   Will he one day blow it and get busted for drugs?   Commit a few felonies?   Fail PED tests?   You never know what the future holds, but those types of things matter.        You look at Pico and he is squeaky clean and from every account I've heard, just an absolutely nice, down to earth, family type person.    The whole package matters.   

#347 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted Today, 04:47 PM

Good food for thought, Fanta.  How can you be too old for wrestling and successful at MMA?

Dan Cormier, for example.  He is champion of the UFC.  If he made the same money in wrestling that he makes in MMA, would he be World champion?  Doubtful - Sports or sports entertainment?

MMA is loaded with inferior athletes to world level freestyle wrestling.    It happens all the time.   Wrestlers pass their prime and are no longer trending up, thus they retire and try MMA and sky rocket up the charts.     Wrestling is exponentially more difficult at the upper echelon than MMA.   It isn't even close.     

A sick,aging past his prime Cormier is 1 loss to another wrestler short of an undefeated MMA career and he's the reigning world champion.   Ben Askren undefeated multi promotional champion and trending up, this despite unable to make it out of the 2nd round in the Olympics.    Randy Couture and Dan Henderson  fighting for championships past their mid 40's long after they were way too old to compete.  Brock Lesnar not exactly a world beater in wrestling (solid NCAA champion wrestler) tries NFL can't make it, goes to WWE, becomes a house hold name, enters UFC as a mere rookie and by pro fight #4, he's the world champion.   He goes on to beat two other world champions before  falling ill and really declining physically.   He fizzles out and retires.   5 years later he returns to UFC and dominates a top 5 UFC contender who had recently challenged for the world title.    

It's just a lower level in UFC  that allows these past their prime wrestlers to go right in and compete for championships.   There are many more examples out there, this just a quick list of some of the more well know guys.   

• NJDan likes this

#348 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted Today, 10:26 PM

BigTime -- I get your point. I think it is reasonable.

Go to average joe on street and state:

Prospect #1: has certain attributes that cause people to think he will be a world champion very quickly.

Prospect #2: has several attributes that cause people to think he will be a world champion but will take a bit and is starting off in a less competitive division. He is expected to move to the best division and win that but it will take some time.

Prospect 2 is much younger than prospect 1 and is considered to have certain skills that are better. Prospect 1 has a more limited set of attributes that give him advantage over his likely opponents in the near term.

Which is the better prospect? I can see a fair number of folks picking #1. Others would pick 2.

I think he MMA press has a point and are focused on a young person training for MMA finally getting to MMA and discredit the path given to Lesnar. Not pure enough.

#349 TBar1977

TBar1977

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,133 posts

Posted Today, 10:59 PM

LOL.... last I heard McGregor isn't doing MMA but is instead to get beaten up by Mayweather in basically an exhibition for Mayweather and a good payday for both. Heck I'd get beaten up by either guy for a good payday.

Yep. Everyone in MMA or boxing exhibitions is doing it for the money. Good bet Mayweather dances to a DEC.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#350 TBar1977

TBar1977

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,133 posts

Posted Today, 10:59 PM

Speaking of fantasy match ups...

Exactly.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

BigTenFanboy, Flying-Tiger