Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

So Pico in MMA means he is going to beat up his lover?

I won't say its a for sure thing, but the rates of domestic violence arrests are pretty dagone high in MMA compared to the general population and even the NFL.

wZdRSix.jpg

Here's the Real Sports piece that put together the rates.

https://youtu.be/CJBXe3wSfmM

Edited by Chingadiculous

I know you are a bit slow, but please bear with me. I have no clue if Pico will commit any form of domestic violence. However, given the high rates that we see in MMA it would not shock me if he did.

Troll

The problem with Bellatore is that the have a lot guys that never had a prime in any sport. Looking at the MMA rankings, is surprising just how thin their weight classes are. MMA minor league is an accurate description compared to UFC. Shame because I am not a Dana White fan. 

Fair points FT, but look a little deeper.     

Scott Coker is at Bellator and he's there to turn things around and take them to bigger and greater things than UFC.    What!!!, you say?  

Viacom owns Bellator.   Yes, that Viacom.   They have in recent months given Coker more money to go out and sign free agents.   And he's doing it.    Pico is their crowned jewel.  He figures to be around his entire career.     UFC is no longer attractive, unless you're one of the WWE types who is going to pull big PPV numebrs (Think Brock, Conor, CM Punk, etc.)  That's their plan over there.   Find a cash cow and push them to orbit.   In the mean time, water the rest of it down with fluff and filler, and sell it as top quality product.   The fans are rejecting it.    

WME IMG owns UFC and they are running the thing into the ground.   The hardcore fan base will tell you their events are dull, stale, watered down, and lacking merit.    

The middleweight champ refuses to defend against actual contenders, instead hand picking opponents of his liking.   The 155 pound champ refuses to defend at all and instead has fled UFC for boxing.   The 135 pound champ is out with injury but otherwise looks good.   the 125 pound champ has a wrestler coming down from 135 to challenge him and he's refusing to accept the challenge.   The women's 145 champ was striped this week of her belt for refusal to defend.          I list these things in order to point out the title over there means very little now.       They have managed to strip the value and prestige of the belts away in their quest to focus on "money fights".   The result?   No merit on the road to the championship.   A retired guy, gone 4 years from the sport who fought at 170 his entire career, unretires and  gets the shot at 185.   Never won a fight at 185, hasn't won a  fight in 4 years, and to make matters worse, there are 4 or 5 contenders who could all make a case for deserving a title shot.   UFC allows this. 

So yes, UFC is the big leagues, but they are rapidly becoming the circus leagues.     Aaron Pico in particular has a heavy sponsorship based agreement.   That doesn't fly in the UFC.   UFC is alienating its fighters by forcing the REEBOK deal on them.   Ryan Bader (Bellator now, formally UFC) just was in an article indicating he's finally happy, has his sponsors back.    These guys lose tens of thousands and in some cases, hundreds of thousands of dollars to sponsors by signing with UFC.    UFC and Reebok have another 5 years to go yet.        

With Coker at the helm

With Viacom money

With a MUCH better benefits package

With exciting young talent signed and talent development as focus

and With UFC becoming less and less what it once was

The door is wide open for Bellator to step in and seize a significant portion  of the market share.   It's common to say Pico eventually will want to go to the big leagues and that's technically true, but the lines are becoming blurred between the big leagues and #2.      

I brought up Coker and here's something he accomplished.   Back when UFC was MUCH stronger and led by the Fertitta's, Coker went to Strike Force and built a very exciting promotion.        Their heavyweight division was accepted as better than the UFC's.   Yes and that's not opinion based, that was by matching the ifhgters against one and other.   So how do we know?   UFC bought Strikeforce and dismantled them.  They brought the talent over.      Who was over there?

Cain - became UFC champ

Cormier - became UFC champ

Rockhold - became UFC champ

Ronda - became UFC champ

Werdum - became UFC champ

Cyborg - in the UFC title bout coming up and a GIANT favorite to become UFC champ

and numerous other top contenders

Henderson

Overeem

Fedor

etc.

Yes UFC was the big leagues, but Strike Force quietly put together a roster capable of beating UFC.    UFC was so threatened, they bought out Strike Force.    So Coker is at it again.  WME IMG is not buying out Bellator.   Viacom is MUCH MUCH bigger than anything UFC has.    

Pico is going to be in the big leagues, there's no question about that.         The thing is the big leagues are liable to be Bellator.       

First off, joe24, do you understand how to use the multi quote button? If you need help pm me I'll give you some tips.

Second off, lesnar fought a smoker fight first, go check his record. He then LOST his UFC debut. Then he best a barely .500 in his last 10 fights, washed up Heath hearing and then beat a 45 year old courture for the title (not trying to take anything away from the champ here but age is a factor). Additionally, it's no secret that lesnar was juiced to the gills during his career.

Lastly, jones wasnt a huge name prospect coming into the fight game. He was simply a JUCO national champ with a great frame and potential. He took the same path as most, fighting a couple amateur fights then doing the minor league circuit. He did not gain notoriety until he got to the UFC when he got media attention. Underground MMA folks had him on the radar but he was certainly not being covered by ESPN BEFORE HIS FIRST FIGHT.

Pico is fighting a 10 fight professional veteran, fresh out of the gate, on a PPV card, BECAUSE NO ONE WANTED TO FIGHT HIM.

I don't expect you guys to totally understand, because it's fairly obvious you all do not follow mixed martial arts as closely as you follow wrestling. No disrespect meant here, just simply a fact that I don't think most of you will refute.

Also, I forgot, for those saying "can pico take a punch with small gloves" do yourselves a favor and google pankration.

What are you confused about?

His debut was against Frank Mir?  Wasn't he a UFC Champ a few times?

Didn't Lesnar also beat a Frank Mir and a respectable Shane Carwin, too?  Let's be thorough for the sake of argument.

As the fairly obvious about my MMA knowledge, then you struck out again.  I saw the very first UFC and everyone ever since.  Boxing, from late 70's on...  Wrestling actually later for me. 

lesnar was a freakshow... pico is legitimate... to ignore that is to glorify ignorance...

A freak show that beat a HOFer and a very respectable Frank Mir--in a beat down.  Get a grip. 

sure it does... if you can bring in a freakshow and that freakshow can beat a couple of guys (one being a glorified 205er) that doesn't make him a true fighter, which, lesnar obvisouly wasn't... lesnar had a huge following from pro wrestling... that is why we anyone even knew who he was... he was an experiment... 

he was never a "prospect" in MMA... 

but, you go be that contrarian... 

He put a beat down on Frank Mir, right?  Mir was most certainly respectable as a Heavy. 

Mir was a champion when heavy weight was at it's absolute weakest... not saying it wasn't a good win, but, you have to be realistic... and couture was a glorified 205er as a heavy weight champion because why not?

no heavy weight has ever defended the belt more than two times in the UFC... think about that for a second...

and yes, bellator is second tier to the UFC for now, but, they have some quality fighters... michael chandler beat the brakes off of ben henderson when he came over... and the real thing is they are getting every free agent that comes on the market... henderson, rory, larkin, meathead, bader, davis... they are definitely changing the MMA landscape

Mir was a champion when heavy weight was at it's absolute weakest... not saying it wasn't a good win, but, you have to be realistic... and couture was a glorified 205er as a heavy weight champion because why not?

no heavy weight has ever defended the belt more than two times in the UFC... think about that for a second...

There's no need to try and convince people that Lesnar was facing inferior competition that Pico would be facing. It's pretty obvious and I don't think anyone would deny that. However it's more about where Pico stands relative to his upcoming competition vs how Lesnar stood relative to his competition prior to his debut. Edited by BigTenFanboy

There's no need to try and convince people that Lesnar was facing inferior competition that Pico would be facing. It's pretty obvious and I don't think anyone would deny that. However it's more about where Pico stands relative to his upcoming competition vs how Lesnar stood relative to his competition prior to his debut.

Where do you think Pico stacks up against the division?    I've spoken to two people at Bellator and the former director of talent develop.   They believe he can be their champion right now.   Of course they need to introduce him to the fan base first then set up the eventual title run.   Is he top 10 in your opinion?  Top 5?        Where do you see him?

Where do you think Pico stacks up against the division? I've spoken to two people at Bellator and the former director of talent develop. They believe he can be their champion right now. Of course they need to introduce him to the fan base first then set up the eventual title run. Is he top 10 in your opinion? Top 5? Where do you see him?

Tbh I'm not sure, but certainly not contending with Connor McGregor thats for sure.

And you seriously think he beats Michael Chandler right now???

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Tbh I'm not sure, but certainly not contending with Connor McGregor thats for sure.

Well boys we will see in about an hour how Pico stacks up but for now pop open a brew and enjoy the show.

Turned it to Spike TV for a couple minutes. Davis-Bader. Man this **** is unwatchable

Agreed it is a snoozefest.

BTW Hendricks bumped up to middleweight and still was overweight for his fight tomorrow night. I wouldn't be shocked if UFC dumps him soon.

Edited by Chingadiculous

Conor McGregor?  That guy has won 1 fight at 155 and is 1-1 against middle of the pack Nate Diaz, being pushed to the brink in the win and b eing forced to cry uncle just outside of 1 round in the loss.   Her has NEVER successfully defended a championship, and he isn't even scheduled for an MMA fight.     Instead he's in  a squash match at a boxing show being referred to as a circus bout.    Furthermore, he doesn't even fight in Bellator nor is he expected to EVER fight in MMA again.   Just out of curiosity, why would you compare Pico with him?