Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

Conor McGregor? That guy has won 1 fight at 155 and is 1-1 against middle of the pack Nate Diaz, being pushed to the brink in the win and b eing forced to cry uncle just outside of 1 round in the loss. Her has NEVER successfully defended a championship, and he isn't even scheduled for an MMA fight. Instead he's in a squash match at a boxing show being referred to as a circus bout. Furthermore, he doesn't even fight in Bellator nor is he expected to EVER fight in MMA again. Just out of curiosity, why would you compare Pico with him?

You asked where I would rank Pico. McGregor is ranked number 1 in the world in that weight class. His 1 win at 155 did happen to come against Eddie Alvarez where he mopped the floor with him. I don't understand the confusion here. If Pico is the biggest prospect of all time in MMA and you ask where i would rank him in the world, why wouldnt i compare him to the number 1 ranked guy in the world? As for not being in Bellator, fine I don't think he beats Michael Chandler yet. Edited by BigTenFanboy

It's kind of a hard question. He hasn't fought yet, so bedsides someone who has been around him watching how his training has gone and who it has been with....nobody on here as seen any mma from him at all. How could anyone possibly "rank" him? Or judge whether or not he could beat this guy or that guy?

McGregor was put on a fast track to a belt, avoiding wrestlers, which was his weakness.

he is a great fighter but not as great as he was built up, as the Diaz fights show. Pico could be ready to take on the division because he is overall the best prospect the sport has ever seen.

You asked where I would rank Pico. McGregor is ranked number 1 in the world in that weight class. His 1 win at 155 did happen to come against Eddie Alvarez where he mopped the floor with him. I don't understand the confusion here. If Pico is the biggest prospect of all time in MMA and you ask where i would rank him in the world, why wouldnt i compare him to the number 1 ranked guy in the world? As for not being in Bellator, fine I don't think he beats Michael Chandler yet.

You're not being consistent.    Was Randy Couture #1 in the world when Brock came on the scene (to the UFC) and Brock was expected to contend for the world title?    Of course not.   He wasn't even with UFC, he was off trying to get a fight with #1 in the world Fedor.      

If you actually follow this as closely as you're making out that you do, lets compare Brock to Fedor (keep in mind Mir submitted Brock inside of 1 round) and tell me if Brock was expected to beat Fedor adn Overeem, and Minotauro, etc.    We know he won UFC gold, but tell me about how he would have been expected to do vs the best, not just the UFC, since you're comparing Pico against a guy who likely doesn't even fight MMA anymore and was in a different promotion altogether.   

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

You're not being consistent. Was Randy Couture #1 in the world when Brock came on the scene (to the UFC) and Brock was expected to contend for the world title? Of course not. He wasn't even with UFC, he was off trying to get a fight with #1 in the world Fedor.

If you actually follow this as closely as you're making out that you do, lets compare Brock to Fedor (keep in mind Mir submitted Brock inside of 1 round) and tell me if Brock was expected to beat Fedor adn Overeem, and Minotauro, etc. We know he won UFC gold, but tell me about how he would have been expected to do vs the best, not just the UFC, since you're comparing Pico against a guy who likely doesn't even fight MMA anymore and was in a different promotion altogether.

You asked where I would rank him. I replied in terms of ranking. I also answered that he wouldn't beat Chandler in both posts so yes I am being consistent and I am answering your questions directly.

As for Brock Lesnar I've stated he wasn't the most talented or skilled fighter. TBH I'm not even a fan of his. I don't really care for him. I simply pointed out when something here stated that there was never a bigger pre debut prospect.

If you want me to say Lesnar wasn't a great fighter, heck I'll be the first to say it! If you want me to say he was in a weak weight class, heck I'll say that too.

As for McGregor not fighting again, we will see. He's still currently the champ so I'm not going to speculate over who falls in next.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

All I'm saying is lets be consistent.     Brock was expected to be a force, but he was NEVER expected to beat the top guys.  Not the Fedor's, not the Overeem's, not at all.   Maybe compete in the depleted and very weak UFC heavyweight division, but certainly not be the best.   That was never expected from him.     Conor's not even the best but I do find it disingenuous you pick him and ignore the division he's actually in.   And  by the way, he's bumping up tot 155, because he couldn't get an opponent at 145.     Brock shocked people when he won the title.    He was referred to as a fake wrestler who had nothing other than big steroid muscles and a bad haircut.    

You asked where I would rank him. I replied in terms of ranking. I also answered that he wouldn't beat Chandler in both posts so yes I am being consistent and I am answering your questions directly.

Fair enough, he wont beat Chandler.   You've got him at #2 then?  

I've got him at #1 145 and I'll go with you at #2 145.       

OK so if you're not sure, how are you arguing he's below Brock?

Becuase Brock was considered a world title contender before ever fighting a single fight.

Pico is NOT yet considered a world title contender.

I've stated this over and over again.

Becuase Brock was considered a world title contender before ever fighting a single fight.

Pico is NOT yet considered a world title contender.

I've stated this over and over again.

World title is not the end all be all.      But fair enough.       Lets see how Pico does tonight up a weight class against a veteran of 10 pro MMA bouts.   I'm pretty excited for Pico's future.  I see world titles in 2 weight classes for him and possibly more if he grows any.     Enjoy the fights.   

World title is not the end all be all.      But fair enough.       Lets see how Pico does tonight up a weight class against a veteran of 10 pro MMA bouts.   I'm pretty excited for Pico's future.  I see world titles in 2 weight classes for him and possibly more if he grows any.     Enjoy the fights.

I absolutely think that Pico is a better fighter and agree with you that world titles are in his future. I feel that we are arguing completely different things but actually have the same opinion of Pico as a fighter.

Oh my. Hilarious.  Glad all these wrestlers spent the $ to see Pico fight for 20 seconds and a bunch of washed up dudes compete in a terrible sport.   Someone remind me again what the hell Pankration is?

Come back to wrestling, Aaron

Edited by LemonPie

Greatest prospect of all time ....    BAM!  CHOKE!  Done.  Ouch.

Some folks were using Brock's less than stellar debut as an example of why he wasn't a great prospect.  Wonder if they will use this to revise their perspective of Pico as a prospect.  Likely they won't -- they'll say he got unlucky.  Or he simply forgot to not block uppercuts with his face.  

I think Pico is a great prospect but the hype has gone too far.

Edited by nom

Pico Didn't have the boxing head movement I expected to see. Not sure if he was over confident or nervous but he just keep moving forward and walked right into a upper cut as he was throwing a punch. Got rocked and Freeman transitioned into a guillitine. You let a skilled BJJ guy have access to your neck while your rocked and you will have time to stop him from choking you out. Kids got the skills but mat have been a little to over aggressive in this one trying to walk Freeman down. He wasn't really out skilled but Freeman got the jump on him when Pico settled into trying to march him down and throw without adding any real motion. Pico leaned forward after the hard strike and Freeman capitalized with his go to submission.

Edited by MadMardigain