Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

Came out too aggressive and careless.. kudos to freeman for taking advantage, but got to admit I'm pretty bummed about dropping $50 on this one.

You should have a few more decent fights left tonight, but its a blow to the card to have that fight end so fast.

As I say that the Chandler fight also ends very quick on an ankle injury from a poor step backwards.

Edited by MadMardigain

I never really followed the whole Pico saga. So he has a huge amount of hype, foregoes college wrestling, focuses on freestyle but falls short of making the world team and emulating Cejudo despite a respectable showing. Then he decides to immediately focus on mma. Trains for two years. Yet despite no fighting background is hyped to the moon as "the greatest mma prospect of all time" for some reason. Then for his debut, gets thrown in there with a guy who is 8-2 and gets beat bad. Who is giving this young man advice? 

I never really followed the whole Pico saga. So he has a huge amount of hype, foregoes college wrestling, focuses on freestyle but falls short of making the world team and emulating Cejudo despite a respectable showing. Then he decides to immediately focus on mma. Trains for two years. Yet despite no fighting background is hyped to the moon as "the greatest mma prospect of all time" for some reason. Then for his debut, gets thrown in there with a guy who is 8-2 and gets beat bad. Who is giving this young man advice?

Years of successful amateur boxing and pancrase matches to go with wrestling would count as fight training. All that fueledthe hype. And Pico said he was the one requesting decent fighter for his debut rather than another new-comer. He wasn't our classes in the fight just out struck in one exchange. Live and learn.

Years of successful amateur boxing and pancrase matches to go with wrestling would count as fight training. All that fueledthe hype. And Pico said he was the one requesting decent fighter for his debut rather than another new-comer. He wasn't our classes in the fight just out struck in one exchange. Live and learn.

Ok. I was not aware of the boxing and pancrase background, although the last competition I see in these sports dates back to 2010 when he was 13. But even without that it is not like he has not trained for mma. Still you have to be careful how a career is managed, and you have to be especially careful with a debut fight. You need to get a new fighter acclimated. I do not see any amateur or lower profile mma fights on his resume. Instead he makes his mma debut at MSG against an experienced, pretty decent fighter. We will see, but he got knocked down and submitted in 20 seconds. Hard to recover from.  

Edited by straggler

Brock Lesnar was a bigger prospect.

And that will be the interesting thing to see. Does Pico beat someone well past their prime and on their way out, then get a shot at the world title in his third fight? The irony in both debuts being so similar.

I'm guessing we're at least three wins before even talking about a title shot. (And as tonight showed you got to get the first one first). But I think it will also show the difference between, if you're in the camp that "bigger prospect" means pay per view ability, or the camp where it means long term competitive ability.

I don't think we learned a damn thing tonight. Nothing that tells us what his career might look like. Someone said bust. It's far from a bust (yet). Nobody in mma is undefeated, many of the greats lose early, and many a wrestler lose to a guillotine in the first fights...interested to see how the next fight goes and the type of opponent.

But we can all relax on anointing him anything.

Again, Pico is 6-0 against Zain and not one of these wins counted. Zain is on the World Team, won multiple NCAA titles and Pico...went to MMA. Let's see how AP does in MMA and if he can take being punched by a grown man. All the​ best to AP, but can we win the big one?

Let's hope he can bounce back.

So as the biggest MMA prospect of ALL TIME, does Ipso facto logic dictate that he now be known as the biggest bust of ALL TIME? Personally I think that's a bit harsh, he is young, talented and could still end up doing great things in MMA with more training and experience but of course that's easy for me to say because I didn't buy into a bunch of hype based on accomplishments from when he was 12-13 yeas old.  

What a crazy ride this thread turned out to be with a fitting ending to this epic saga. At this point I think even Picos biggest fans such as Cletus, AllSeeBronze, Witherman, CA_wrestler and moulsen would agree Zain would of defeated Pico at Trials, would destroy him in folk and submit him in MMA. 

That is all :-)

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,

The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;

And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children

shout,

But there is no joy in Mudville—mighty Pico has tapped out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,

The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;

And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children

shout,

But there is no joy in Mudville—mighty Pico has tapped out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++

I thought there might be a 🍅 can in this fight, I just didn't realize it was Pico. Ok, that's a little over the top.

What this fight really shows is that always gotta prove it. Every single time.

The great irony of this fight is that if Pico had come out with a plan to wrestle instead of to throw punches, he probably gets the guy on the ground and wears him out with relative ease.

Edited by TBar1977