Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

++++++

The great irony of this fight is that if Pico had come out with a plan to wrestle instead of to throw punches, he probably gets the guy on the ground and wears him out with relative ease.

You're probably spot on about above.

Does his opponent frequently uppercut or did he see something that caused him to roll it out special? I'm not that knowledgeable about MMA or boxing, but it sure seemed that PIco was leading with his chin. No side-to-side. Just straight ahead. Any boxers out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the thrilled penn state fans. Only because your golden boy is 0-6 against him. So much hate! Lol

I bet 99 percent of Penn State fans were rooting for Pico in MMA, but when he trolled Zain in that interview only to then get decked and choked out by a guy who probably isnt in the top 50 in the world at that weight ........ yeah, that will draw comment.

You're probably spot on about above.

Does his opponent frequently uppercut or did he see something that caused him to roll it out special? I'm not that knowledgeable about MMA or boxing, but it sure seemed that PIco was leading with his chin. No side-to-side. Just straight ahead. Any boxers out there?

Pico had no head movement. He made it easy for the guy to hit him. He also opened himself up to questions about having a glass jaw by getting decked on the first punch.

Pico Didn't have the boxing head movement I expected to see. Not sure if he was over confident or nervous but he just keep moving forward and walked right into a upper cut as he was throwing a punch.

Aww. Just saw this and commented. You were there first!

And that will be the interesting thing to see. Does Pico beat someone well past their prime and on their way out, then get a shot at the world title in his third fight? The irony in both debuts being so similar.

I'm guessing we're at least three wins before even talking about a title shot. (And as tonight showed you got to get the first one first). But I think it will also show the difference between, if you're in the camp that "bigger prospect" means pay per view ability, or the camp where it means long term competitive ability.

I don't think we learned a damn thing tonight. Nothing that tells us what his career might look like. Someone said bust. It's far from a bust (yet). Nobody in mma is undefeated, many of the greats lose early, and many a wrestler lose to a guillotine in the first fights...interested to see how the next fight goes and the type of opponent.

But we can all relax on anointing him anything.

People seem to refuse to read my words when it comes to "bigger prospect"

I'm of neither camp that you mention. Im of the camp that "bigger prospect" means expectation to becoming world champion or top of the game. While last nights result certainly supports what ive been saying it have nothing to do with who the bigger prospect was.

I know what you're definition and context is. Lesnars path to a title shot is, was and was always going to be faster than Pico. And by your context and meaning of the word he was what you say he was. But it had everything to do with pay per view draw and little to do with what everyone thought of his long term ability. And too many, that's a different meaning and context.

So..... as I was saying In the post you quoted, it will be interesting to see will the next step in Pico's path lean toward the draw side, or development side. It is my belief that when everyone is talking about him being the best prospect, they were talking in terms of his long term ability much more so than his short term pay per view draw. And the next steps will be more in that fashion.

I know what you're definition and context is. Lesnars path to a title shot is, was and was always going to be faster than Pico. And by your context and meaning of the word he was what you say he was. But it had everything to do with pay per view draw and little to do with what everyone thought of his long term ability. And too many, that's a different meaning and context.

So..... as I was saying In the post you quoted, it will be interesting to see will the next step in Pico's path lean toward the draw side, or development side. It is my belief that when everyone is talking about him being the best prospect, they were talking in terms of his long term ability much more so than his short term pay per view draw. And the next steps will be more in that fashion.

Fair enough.

With that said I don't see any hype for his next fight if he continues in MMA. Bellator looked really bad last night with this as the past 3 years they hyped Pico up to being the second coming. Pico now has to climb the more traditional route and for his sake as well as wrestling's sake I hope he bounces back and takes the MMA world by storm. He was touted as a world class wrestler and being dropped like that makes wrestling look less legitimate.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I don't think it was really that bad. There won't be as much of a draw but I don't think there would have been anyway just from a stand point of 'debut'. And I really don't think there was much more lost here than one match. As much hype as there was for his debut it's still very much a wait and see situation, everyone knows that.

If he had fought fifteen minutes and shown nothing and was outclassed across the cage, I'd be worried if I was bellator and sponsors. But he didn't. He lost in a way many experienced wrestlers first turn mma lose and very quickly. All I take from this is we're going to have to wait a little longer to see what he can do. Not sure where he'll go, but last night told me nothing except he won't go undefeated.

The ironic thing for me is that before last night people kept jumping on me saying that Lesnar was an experiment and Pico was the real deal, something I agree with.

After last night, the who Pico thing FELT more like an experiment.

In Lesnars debut to the naked eye he looked like he was on his way to a dominating KO win and got caught in an unlucky scramble.. when in actuality Mir was just a smarter fighter.

In Pico's debut to the naked eye he simply looked out classed.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Can we get 24 pages on a 24 second fight?  Literally every comment took longer to post than the fight took to end.  

I think his management team takes the hit for this one.   Somewhere a tomato can is getting ready for a tune-up fight again AP. 

Can we get 24 pages on a 24 second fight?  Literally every comment took longer to post than the fight took to end.  

I think his management team takes the hit for this one.   Somewhere a tomato can is getting ready for a tune-up fight again AP. 

A tomato can, you say?  And yes, we can easily get 24 pages or more out of this thread.  

(Especially, if we post a lot of videos, GIFs, photos, etc.)

23mwsa9.jpg

My opinion on pico being the biggest prospect of the modern era of MMA does not change.

What I would like to reiterate though is the significance of being a 10 fight veteran against someone who's is 0-0. There is a reason why almost everyone, in every sport, has a tuneup game/fight/etc.

Tough loss for Aaron, hope he bounces back. Kind of funny to see all of these Penn State "wrestling fans" rejoicing in the loss of one of our own though. Sure doesn't make them look like a fan of the sport as they claim to be.

Oh and by the way, he would still beat zain.

My opinion on pico being the biggest prospect of the modern era of MMA does not change.

What I would like to reiterate though is the significance of being a 10 fight veteran against someone who's is 0-0. There is a reason why almost everyone, in every sport, has a tuneup game/fight/etc.

Tough loss for Aaron, hope he bounces back. Kind of funny to see all of these Penn State "wrestling fans" rejoicing in the loss of one of our own though. Sure doesn't make them look like a fan of the sport as they claim to be.

What's good for the sport is to have Pico wrestling.  I know I come off as resentful or "butthurt", but I just can't ****ing stand MMA.   His comments about the trials was just salt in the wound. 

My opinion on Brock Lesnar being a bigger prospect than Aaron Pico does not change.

What I would like to reiterate though is the significance of being a 13 fight veteran and former UFC World champion against someone who's is 0-0. There is a reason why almost everyone, in every sport, has a tuneup game/fight/etc.

It was a tough loss for Brock, but he certainly bounced back almost immediately. Kind of funny to see all of these Penn State "haters" being so quiet. Sure doesn't make them look like a faithful fan of the sport as they claim to be.

Oh and by the way, I still predict Pico would probably beat Zain, but wouldn't be surprised if the tables turned.

Pico's MMA debut will be interesting.  The guy he's fighting is something like 8-2, not some 0-0 or 0-1 jobber they usually feed top prospects.  It's also in MSG, a far bigger stage than he's ever experienced before. 

Like the rest of his career, Pico's team appears to be putting the cart before the horse.  Objectively, it didn't work out in wrestling, but we'll see how it goes in MMA. 

Bumping this.

What's good for the sport is to have Pico wrestling. I know I come off as resentful or "butthurt", but I just can't ****ing stand MMA. His comments about the trials was just salt in the wound.

Pico now needs to make a MMA rebound to restore the integrity of wrestling. When one of our most highly touted wrestlers flops like this, it makes wrestling look weak and illegitimate. Pico should not return to wrestling until he conquers MMA... Edited by BigTenFanboy

Pico now needs to make a MMA rebound to restore the integrity of wrestling. When one of our most highly touted wrestlers flops like this, it makes wrestling look weak and illegitimate. Pico should not return to wrestling until he concurs MMA...

I don't give a **** what MMA fans think about wrestlers.  People used to say that the popularity of MMA will help wrestling grow.  Yet that hasn't reflected any of the numbers.  **** MMA and its fans. 

Edited by LemonPie

I don't give a **** what MMA fans think about wrestlers.  People used to say that the popularity of MMA will help wrestling grow.  Yet that hasn't reflected any of the numbers.  **** MMA and its fans.

IMO is has little to do with MMA fans and more with the general public.