Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

That's 155lbs. Even more than 70kg. No question he could make 70, but not so sure 65.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that was my biggest take away from all this - the fact that Pico probably wouldn't even have been at same weight as Zain anyway. the rest, bragging, woulda coulda shoulda, etc etc.....really not that big of a deal to me. 

bet Zain ain't too bothered about Pico wan't to have his cake and eat it too

Wake me up when zain isn't 0 and 6 against Pico. Isn't ncaas? How many ncaa champs has Pico throttled? Give me a break tbar, Pico was a more accomplished wrestler than Rutherford when he was around and he likely still would be if he didn't give it up for something he considers more grandiose.

Winning NCAAs is more than jist being able to beat the guy 1 to 1. Theres also the grind of navigating the tournament itself, multiple weigh ins, the mental gruel of media asking you to explain your every thought, watching your teammates win/lose. How many NCAA champs has he throttled during the year they won NCAAs? Im basically saying as clearly as possible, maybe some of these former NCAA champs wouldnt win NCAAs today. Maybe some of them are not nearly as good or sharp as they were the years they won it.

Also when he beat Ness, it was a huge comeback after being down by 9, but had Ness wrestled a smarter match, who knows what would have happened. Had he scored 1 more point the match would have been over...

Love the interview, thanks for posting.  

Pico is just too much for Zain, mostly due to the hand fight and gas tank.    Despite being a couple years younger, Pico will always big brother the Penn State stand out.    It's just how wrestling works some times.     Not a fan of Flo, but I have to give kudos on this one.  Huge Pico fan, love seeing media on him.    

Wake me up when zain isn't 0 and 6 against Pico. Isn't ncaas? How many ncaa champs has Pico throttled? Give me a break tbar, Pico was a more accomplished wrestler than Rutherford when he was around and he likely still would be if he didn't give it up for something he considers more grandiose.

Here is a fact about Pico, he wants people to think he would have won a spot on a team he had no interest in even attempting to qualify for. It doesn't work that way.

I love seeing threads where PSU fans cry about something that they cannot refute no matter how hard they try.  He's 6-0 against the zain train, always will be until something else happens.

For the guys saying "classless" and "why even bring it up"?  This is MMA we're talking about.  There are more and more wrestlers coming into MMA every year.  Wrestling fans WATCH MMA stuff because there are so many big names in the fight game now (phil davis, askren, bader, etc).  Zain is a big name in wrestling right now, Pico is 6-0 against the guy, this creates a spark and drives interest to a broader audience.

For the ones saying "why would FLO cover it"?  FLO is a site for wrestling content.  The biggest young prospect in recent memory basically calling out the next big thing @ PSU is RELEVANT CONTENT.  Also, refer back to my previous contents of creating a spark and driving interest.

Guess what, by making this thread and responding to it, you are doing EXACTLY what was intended by this interview.  Talking about it.

Here is a fact about Pico, he wants people to think he would have won a spot on a team he had no interest in even attempting to qualify for. It doesn't work that way.

I think you might be reaching a bit here.  He never made any reference to WTTs or being on the team.  He simply said "I would beat him again" which history shows (the only concrete data point we can go off of) is true until proven otherwise.

Well it is USA Wrestling's loss that Pico left for MMA so early in his career. I believe that we would've been better off if Pico was still competing at either 65, or 70.

But he's not, so it is what it is. As far as speculation on how he would do against Retherford now, who knows. Look at Gadson, he used to dominate the Boy King, but as we all saw last weekend that is no longer the case. If fact Kyle dispatched Gadson fairly easily. I know some will say that you can't compare the Boy King and Retherford, and I'm not, I'm just trying to say that things change, and what was may no longer be.

Pretty sure there was nothing stopping Pico from entering WTTs. Talking about what he would of done if he actually competed is pathetic, especially considering Retherford defeated the guy that beat him last year.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/57667-aaron-pico-i-m-6-0-against-zain-and-i-d-beat-him-again#.WUO5yOndK_t

He will have his first pro fight on a PPV 2 weeks after the trials. I'm pretty sure his sponsors, trainer, and the promoter wouldn't be against him being in the WTT that close to the fight. I get your point he needs to compete if he's going to talk about beating wrestlers, but he wouldn't have been able to participate even if he really had wanted too. Besides he was asked the question about Zain specifically its not like he went out of his way inject it in the interview. Edited by MadMardigain

we put up more wrestling content than anyone on the planet; this bellator/pico story didn't come in lieu/at the expense of anything more wrestling-related.

why would we not run something about the greatest mma prospect in history talking about zain retherford (or for that matter, his favorite color) ?

we run stuff on Askren, Edgar, Cormier etc etc. you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Get em Willie...

I think you might be reaching a bit here. He never made any reference to WTTs or being on the team. He simply said "I would beat him again" which history shows (the only concrete data point we can go off of) is true until proven otherwise.

He had his chance to enter the event and beat him, and then decided it wasn't for him. He wants people to believe he'd beat Zain today without having to actually do it.

What happened in the past is just that, but as long as people are willing to buy it he can be our fantasy rep this year.

I have no problem with Flo covering the topic.

I have no problem with the question being asked.

I honestly even don't have that big of a problem with Pico saying "I would beat him again."

I honestly wont even say that it was "classless."

I will say I feel that it was a little bit in poor taste on Pico's part and wish he would have said something along the lines of "Zain had a great tournament and did a great job."

Some people think that "trash talk" is a good thing for the sport of wrestling. Personally I dont like it and have always found that it was one of the things that made me hold wrestling in a higher regard vs other sports. That seems to be something that is fading away... just like the sport's coverage at the Olympics....

Edited by BigTenFanboy

All these crybabies are the same crybabies who talk about Taylor beating Yazdani and how he could have won a world title. He hasn't made a team, and did Taylor ever win a cadet or Junior world medal.

Pico in high school made as many world and Olympic teams as Taylor and Dake. And has placed equally as high. IN HIGH SCHOOL.

Zane did his job, he beat who was in front of him to win his spot. But for Pico to ignore a question of who would win if he had wrestled would change the title of this thread to "Pico fears Zane".

Bottom line is flo got what it was looking for. CLICKS and Discussions.  Great for them, I am a year paying fan of what they do and all their efforts.

Pico is still young enough to try MMA and come back

Not sure why Flo is even covering it on their wrestling site.  I can understand putting it on their MMA site but why feature people who aren't wrestling?

idk i can't leave this go. maybe because you're typically a smart dude. but this is perhaps one of the dumbest, most ridiculous and asinine posts of all time. which is saying a lot on these boards. 

Edited by Husker_Du

He had his chance to enter the event and beat him, and then decided it wasn't for him. He wants people to believe he'd beat Zain today without having to actually do it.

What happened in the past is just that, but as long as people are willing to buy it he can be our fantasy rep this year.

you do realize that by continuing with the narrative of "pico wouldn't beat zain NOW because zain has gotten better" is essentially doing the same thing as saying pico would beat him, with far LESS data to back up your claims?  right??

Some people think that "trash talk" is a good thing for the sport of wrestling. Personally I dont like it and have always found that it was one of the things that made me hold wrestling in a higher regard vs other sports. That seems to be something that is fading away... just like the sport's coverage at the Olympics....

lack of "trash talk" or very loosely translated "things that create media buzz" could also be the reason why there are now only 75 D1 programs left in our sport.....

you do realize that by continuing with the narrative of "pico wouldn't beat zain NOW because zain has gotten better" is essentially doing the same thing as saying pico would beat him, with far LESS data to back up your claims? right??

lack of "trash talk" or very loosely translated "things that create media buzz" could also be the reason why there are now only 75 D1 programs left in our sport.....

I will start believing Zain will lose wrestling matches to non wrestlers when that actually starts happening.

Maybe Pico can beat Lance Palmer in a fantasy match.

Edited by TBar1977