Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

Good point there.    If he leaves early, then of course all bets are off.   A guy as talented and driven as him could potentially find a third interest he's world class at.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit.  He's only 20, he might return to wrestling, who knows.     

In terms to my comments above about the casual fans, that's just pointing to what i think is going on here.   No judgment on them, I know they really don't know or see the whole picture.   These are the people who UFC sold Ronda Rousey to and convinced them she could beat men.    I don't put much stock into their input.       They spend money of the sport and it makes for lots of clicks on social media posts so it has its place.   If Makhov ever makes his debut for UFC, I'm excited to see what he can do.   With the division so thin UFC heavyweight, he could potentially make some serious noise quickly.    These guys are debuting in the big leagues, they're that coveted by the promoter.

I really believe that in the long run, Pico's leaving and changing sports is what could be his "downfall." Imo he could have been a multitime NCAA champion, and possibly an Olympic/World champion had he stuck with wrestling in a more traditional route. Looking at his history it's a strong possibility he leaves MMA for something else... does that for a while and leaves for something else... and so on and so on without accomplished the top of that game, in the end leaving him with tons of experience in a lot of disciplines but making him a jack of all trades, and master of none...

The type of competitor he is, this will only fuel his drive to reach his goals.      

I think you're right.  Pico strikes me as the type that will use his initial loss as momentum to further improve his MMA game.  Plus, it may also spur even greater fan interest in following his career - at least it has for me.  Everything he's said post-fight makes me think he'll rebound and get things back on track sooner rather than later.  Personally, I'm rooting for him to be the next big MMA star.

I have no problem with Flo covering the topic.

I have no problem with the question being asked.

I honestly even don't have that big of a problem with Pico saying "I would beat him again."

I honestly wont even say that it was "classless."

I will say I feel that it was a little bit in poor taste on Pico's part and wish he would have said something along the lines of "Zain had a great tournament and did a great job."

Some people think that "trash talk" is a good thing for the sport of wrestling. Personally I dont like it and have always found that it was one of the things that made me hold wrestling in a higher regard vs other sports. That seems to be something that is fading away... just like the sport's coverage at the Olympics....

Wholeheartedly agree BTF. I always hated the trash talking in other sports but it looks like it is here to stay in wrestling also. Pico's comment was on poor taste. Just take the high road and congratulate the guy. Do you think Zain, in an interview after Pico's MMA loss, would say "I think I could have lasted longer!

Wholeheartedly agree BTF. I always hated the trash talking in other sports but it looks like it is here to stay in wrestling also. Pico's comment was on poor taste. Just take the high road and congratulate the guy. Do you think Zain, in an interview after Pico's MMA loss, would say "I think I could have lasted longer!

He wouldn't because he's never fought in an MMA event before.

I've read a number of people, not just here, who feel he shouldn't have been put in that position and it wasn't fair to him for his first fight. I don't know that I agree with that. He's been paid by this organization for two years without having competed. As part of that package was allowed the opportunities to train for his goals in another sport. He said himself he didn't want to fight another newbie. He wanted to fight someone with experience right out of the gate. So these are all choices he made, he's getting what he wanted out of the deal he/his team negotiated, and has a very bright future ahead of him.

I think we need to reevaluate what is and isn't fair.

Wow! Is it typical for MMA fighters to compete again so soon? Especially after getting knocked out, it doesn't seem like enough time to recover, train and prepare for the next opponent.

Does this imply that Pico's next match will be a gimme for him?

Wow! Is it typical for MMA fighters to compete again so soon? Especially after getting knocked out, it doesn't seem like enough time to recover, train and prepare for the next opponent.

There really wasn't much for either Pico or Freeman to recover from so im not surprised by this..

Another loss would be bad but not catastrophic. He is still very young for the sport, has too much invested by the promoter to get only one "mulligan", and is too good a fighter to go 0-3 or 0-4. MMA is so much about what you've done lately that you're never more than one crowd-pleasing win away from getting back on the right track.

The length of time he is required to be out after a fight depends on what if any suspension he receives following his post fight medical exam. If they clear him to fight then he is eligible to return to the cage quickly. Most suspensions are handed out due to knockouts, cuts requiring major stitches, or a break of some sort. In most cases a being choked out would not required a suspension, unless some rare situations happened as a result (out for a long time, seizure, issues that persist for the next couple hours or days.

Oh nice to see.    I don't believe he suffered any injury the previous time out, so this should be a good turn around for him.    No idea who the opponent is, but hopefully it's someone who he doesn't blow right by.  I'd like to see him get a good 10 minutes work and then get out of there.    Hopefully they keep him busy as he's climbing the ranks