Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

I will start believing Zain will lose wrestling matches to non wrestlers when that actually starts happening.

Maybe Pico can beat Lance Palmer in a fantasy match.

Wait, but that has happened. To Pico, an ex-wrestler, in like 6 different bouts.

I'm not even a fan of trash talk or how Pico carried himself here (I really like his humility and I hope that doesn't change with MMA), but all past data does point to this conclusion.

I'm sorry, did an ex-wrestler do something here?  I must have missed that in this "story".

yes, the greatest prospect in MMA history, who just so happens to be a Cadet FS World Champion and 2x Junior FS Medalist gave an interview prior to his MMA debut and talked about his past with the 2x NCAA Champion who just won a spot on the 2017 World Team.

i can't believe flo ran this as something that pertains to wrestling. the audacity. 

what Pico could have said , "congrats to Zain, great wrestler and hope you kick ass at worlds. I mean hey, I would still take you (with like a little smile and a nod to the camera or whatever), but go get it done man. and oh, come watch me fight blah blah blah...." 

yes, the greatest prospect in MMA history, who just so happens to be a Cadet FS World Champion and 2x Junior FS Medalist gave an interview prior to his MMA debut and talked about his past with the 2x NCAA Champion who just won a spot on the 2017 World Team.

i can't believe flo ran this as something that pertains to wrestling. the audacity. 

Just ignore it dude.

I didn't say Flo shouldn't cover it.  You absolutely should.  

I poked fun at your claim that you were covering something an ex-wrestler did.  

What you were doing was covering what he said in an ESPN/TMZ gossip mill kind of way.  Just like tweets sent by athletes are front page stories on ESPN.  

It's not a bad thing on the journalism side and it's very smart on the financial side.  Cover what people care about, and clearly people care about this.

But I can still laugh at the idea you were claiming to cover what an ex-wrestler did.  You were pot stirring for clicks.

I feel like it's almost as if Pico is more concerned about his MMA career and getting as many people as possible to watch his fight than he is praising a college student for being good at wrestling.

crazy talk

I didn't say Flo shouldn't cover it. You absolutely should.

I poked fun at your claim that you were covering something an ex-wrestler did.

What you were doing was covering what he said in an ESPN/TMZ gossip mill kind of way. Just like tweets sent by athletes are front page stories on ESPN.

It's not a bad thing on the journalism side and it's very smart on the financial side. Cover what people care about, and clearly people care about this.

But I can still laugh at the idea you were claiming to cover what an ex-wrestler did. You were pot stirring for clicks.

Advertisers pay flo for every 'click' they get. They are heavily incentivized to make 'click bait' style headlines. dfefb33fdbf7d3796a34fbd0ff0dc389.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SC_Wrestling

lack of "trash talk" or very loosely translated "things that create media buzz" could also be the reason why there are now only 75 D1 programs left in our sport.....

I don't disagree. I think it's a reflection of the general direction in which society is headed. It doesn't mean I have to like it. At the same time, the only real media buzz it's generating is within the current wrestling community. Non-wrestling people are not going to suddenly jump on board and become wrestling fans because Aaron Pico said something about Zain Retherford because quite frankly they don't care!

Advertisers pay flo for every 'click' they get. They are heavily incentivized to make 'click bait' style headlines.

I agree.  I ran a decent sized state website and we did the same thing in all our articles (the big difference being Flo does it WAYYYY better).  

I like Flo, FRL is my favorite part of FLO, and Willie is my favorite part of FRL.  

And I still think it's hilarious that he claimed they were reporting on something an ex-wrestler did.  

idk i can't leave this go. maybe because you're typically a smart dude. but this is perhaps one of the dumbest, most ridiculous and asinine posts of all time. which is saying a lot on these boards. 

Been on these forums since the beginning...... not, even, close. 

Pretty sure there was nothing stopping Pico from entering WTTs. Talking about what he would of done if he actually competed is pathetic, especially considering Retherford defeated the guy that beat him last year. 

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/57667-aaron-pico-i-m-6-0-against-zain-and-i-d-beat-him-again#.WUO5yOndK_t

He was asked a question.  Based upon previous results, I am not sure how you would expect him to respond.  This said, Pico would not want to wrestle him, now, unless he was very focused.  Pico always seemed bigger to me.  Probably still is.  But at Zain's weight, now,...Pico couldn't be a casual wrestler. 

Agreed. I can understand when fans make these kinds of statements, but its annoys me when a FORMER wrestler does. Its one thing for Oliver who is still training in the sport and has to wait for rulings to be making statements, its another thing for a guy who all but technically has retired from the sport to be saying stuff. And if I'm not mistaken, how did Pico fair against Molinaro? IMO the Molinaro that Retherford just beat twice is head and shoulders better than the Molinaro that Pico twice lost to... While I would have to pick Pico to win head to head due to their history, IMO its really in poor taste for Pico to publicly make this statement. 

I would not have said this, but think of it as a competitor from Pico's POV. 

Wake me up when Pico ever wins a huge wrestling event. USA Juniors is nice, but it isn't NCAA and it isn't Senior World team either. Stick to MMA Aaron. 

Agree that Pico gets a lot of Cred when he really hasn't done as stellar as his reputation would suggest.  This said, I think he matches up well with Zain, but he always seemed bigger. 

Lol this thread.. The insecurities of Penn State fans is very real. And why wouldn't flo post it? Obv it's something their audience is still ready to talk about. Pico would still handle zain btw.

Maybe, but funny how you seem so sure when nobody can really be...unless it is just what they want?

Wake me up when zain isn't 0 and 6 against Pico. Isn't ncaas? How many ncaa champs has Pico throttled? Give me a break tbar, Pico was a more accomplished wrestler than Rutherford when he was around and he likely still would be if he didn't give it up for something he considers more grandiose.

We don't live in a stagnant world.  Who really knows, but if I had to wager at Zain's current weight, I would bet him over Pico if Pico could make weight. 

I have no problem with Flo covering the topic.

I have no problem with the question being asked.

I honestly even don't have that big of a problem with Pico saying "I would beat him again."

I honestly wont even say that it was "classless."

I will say I feel that it was a little bit in poor taste on Pico's part and wish he would have said something along the lines of "Zain had a great tournament and did a great job."

Some people think that "trash talk" is a good thing for the sport of wrestling. Personally I dont like it and have always found that it was one of the things that made me hold wrestling in a higher regard vs other sports. That seems to be something that is fading away... just like the sport's coverage at the Olympics....

When did wrestlers NOT trash talk? What year was this?

Why are Penn State fans so sensitive? If Pico was talking about a non-PSU wrestler then this wouldn't be a thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt PSU fans are different than other fans who were linked to a dynasty.  Perhaps a little introspection: why does a seemingly majority seem to want the favorite to fall?  Kind of easy to answer, but do we like the answer?