Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

What weight is Pico fighting at? Could he still even make 65 or would he be dealing with Green if he entered WTTs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite sure he is much heavier.  Always seemed bigger than Zain who never seems to cut much. 

I know Pico can punch, but can he take a punch... I've never heard about him being punched. Should be interesting.

...ask Thomas Hearns.  The best offensive fighter I ever saw...just a glass chin. 

Love the interview, thanks for posting.  

Pico is just too much for Zain, mostly due to the hand fight and gas tank.    Despite being a couple years younger, Pico will always big brother the Penn State stand out.    It's just how wrestling works some times.     Not a fan of Flo, but I have to give kudos on this one.  Huge Pico fan, love seeing media on him.    

Nuts if you don't recognize that Pico was always bigger.  Let's see them at Zain's current weight--wouldn't be so easy.  We live in a fluid world. 

I love seeing threads where PSU fans cry about something that they cannot refute no matter how hard they try.  He's 6-0 against the zain train, always will be until something else happens.

For the guys saying "classless" and "why even bring it up"?  This is MMA we're talking about.  There are more and more wrestlers coming into MMA every year.  Wrestling fans WATCH MMA stuff because there are so many big names in the fight game now (phil davis, askren, bader, etc).  Zain is a big name in wrestling right now, Pico is 6-0 against the guy, this creates a spark and drives interest to a broader audience.

For the ones saying "why would FLO cover it"?  FLO is a site for wrestling content.  The biggest young prospect in recent memory basically calling out the next big thing @ PSU is RELEVANT CONTENT.  Also, refer back to my previous contents of creating a spark and driving interest.

Guess what, by making this thread and responding to it, you are doing EXACTLY what was intended by this interview.  Talking about it.

You can't refute the past, but you can the future.  Seriously? 

Nuts if you don't recognize that Pico was always bigger.  Let's see them at Zain's current weight--wouldn't be so easy.  We live in a fluid world. 

Nuts if you don't recognize 6-0, 20 or so take downs to 1.    

Lets see them.    Set it up and let me know where it is.      Easy to talk when your'e guy is 0-6 and no potential match up in sight.   

yes, the greatest prospect in MMA history, who just so happens to be a Cadet FS World Champion and 2x Junior FS Medalist gave an interview prior to his MMA debut and talked about his past with the 2x NCAA Champion who just won a spot on the 2017 World Team.

i can't believe flo ran this as something that pertains to wrestling. the audacity. 

Are you really certain he is the greatest prospect?  If one compared credentials...

Listen to the interview. He expresses tons of respect for the Zain Train. He believes he is better and he has good reason to believe it. He is a cool dude. Plus, this is a wrestling story even though it is a promotion for an MMA fighter.

I am not sure of the "tons of respect."  After a Diss, he pretty much says that Zain is tough, etc.  Didn't read this as sincere. 

Lets see them.    Set it up and let me know where it is.      Easy to talk when your'e guy is 0-6 and no potential match up in sight.   

We live in a fluid world.  Zain has gotten bigger and stronger and better the last few years; I don't think that Pico has gotten better.  At Zain's current weight class, I think he would win.  Did Molinaro beat Pico within the last year or so? Maybe Zain could, too, at this point.  Doubt Pico could make the weight. 

Maybe Zain is giving more attention to FS than he did before.  We know Pico only cared about FS. 

All this said, I can't set anything up...but Zain does show up!

We live in a fluid world.  Zain has gotten bigger and stronger and better the last few years; I don't think that Pico has gotten better.  At Zain's current weight class, I think he would win.  Did Molinaro beat Pico within the last year or so? Maybe Zain could, too, at this point.  Doubt Pico could make the weight. 

Maybe Zain is giving more attention to FS than he did before.  We know Pico only cared about FS. 

Pico has also beaten Molinaro in the past year or so. He also has beaten Oliver, someone Zain is still winless against. Zain just beat Molinaro 2 matches to 1.

Pico has also beaten Molinaro in the past year or so. He also has beaten Oliver, someone Zain is still winless against. Zain just beat Molinaro 2 matches to 1.

Yeah. JO really kicked ass.  A "stop hitting so hard penalty" and I "almost got that" is something to write home about. 

So if Pico can't make the weight, then the bout has to be at a higher weight.   Or maybe they just meet in the room with no weigh in.    I can't see Zain overcoming the match up issues that gave him so many problems, but that's just my take.   If you tell us he can't make the weight, and you insist Zain would beat him at the weight, you're making an argument that you know cannot be dispelled since no bout can take place.   Pico says he can beat him.    I happen to believe he can, especially if he can't make the weight.     

Over multi world champions Jiu jitsu people?  Over Olympic wrestlers?

The problem with those BJJ champs and Olympic wrestlers is in many cases they are old and injured by the time they get to MMA.  

Bilyal Makhov Is a giant prospect for UFC particularly given his weight class, but even he's through much of his athletic prime at this point and does not have the variety of training Pico has.   

multiple outlets have identified Pico as the best mma prospect ever. google it. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705531-super-prospect-aaron-pico-on-bellator-debut-and-working-with-freddie-roach

How does the greatest MMA prospect of all time fit the bill?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2048384-the-beaten-path-aaron-pico-could-be-future-king-of-fighting

Though his handlers play down the parallels, it’s hard not to compare Pico with other wunderkinds like Tiger Woods or Michael Phelps. Could he flame out? Of course he could. But he could also be MMA’s first answer to those prodigies, given his bricklayer’s work ethic, early endorsement deals, world-wide coaching stable and massive natural talent.

Edited by Husker_Du

Unfortunately from a wrestling perspective, Pico has been rushed from his freshman year in high school on. He is extremely talented, no doubt about it, but it seems the people in a position to guide him have operated with MMA $$ in mind from the get-go. Could of been a rare CA 4 time state champ but he was pulled out after his freshman year, college appears to viewed as just a waste of time and despite making the WTT finals, his international career was ended at 19! I'm sure he will do well in MMA but he skipped a lot of quality endeavors unnecessarily, imo, and there could be a lot more what-ifs if his career doesn't go as planned.

Its easy to talk from either side when they're no potential match up in sight.

There's 2 sides to this argument.

Side 1 Pico has beaten Retherford everytime they wrestled.

Side 2 Picks wins were a few years ago and Rutherford has gotten bigger, improved tremendously and has been focusing on wrestling while Pico's progress in wrestling can be called into question due to not javing competed in almost a year.

Until they wrestle again it's all conjecture.

Yes he's beaten Molinaro in the past, but his last 2 matches were losses against Molinaro.

Zain has defeated IMO a better version of Molinaro in his last 2 matchss.

If I had to pick, I would choose Pico Over Zain, but to write him off as if it's a forgone conclusion based on matches that took place in 2015 is pretty silly.

The problem with those BJJ champs and Olympic wrestlers is in many cases they are old and injured by the time they get to MMA.  

Bilyal Makhov Is a giant prospect for UFC particularly given his weight class, but even he's through much of his athletic prime at this point and does not have the variety of training Pico has.

This. Also who's to say the version of Oliver or Ness that Pico defeated at last year's OTT was the best version of these guys.