Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

Slightly tangential:

Pico, before his MMA turn, was considered THE wunderkid of USA Wrestling.  To the posts above and their point, Pico was in the Finals of the WTT at 19!

BUT... Snyder not only took the berth for Team USA at the age of 19, but actually WON the senior world championship. 

Whew... now that THAT's over... can we just slow down on the Pico / Zain comparisons?  He's NOT the greatest thing since sliced bread for USA wrestling right now (nor should he been).  If Pico receives this much airtime, then Snyder deserves 5xx the number of threads extolling his greatness.  FWIW, Zain beats Pico now at Zain's weight class.  However, I sincerely doubt that Pico makes that low weight again, and is probably now more like a 70kg/74kg guy.  AND... we ALL know that Green, Nolf, Burroughs, Dake, Ringer, and Hall will beat Pico... haha!

right, because 1) every college wrestling champion is a) a golden gloves champ and b) won euros in pankration

by that measure - you might want to tell ZERO time AA Frankie Edgar that all he's accomplished is because the AA's at his weight in college didn't participate in mma

also - because MMA/UFC is disorganized it doesn't matter and cannot be ascertained that he is the greatest prospect by virtually every account from people that follow the sport. I'll tell all the mma media outlets that Flying Tiger of Mat.com message board fame knows more than them.

the butt hurt is real.

right, because 1) every college wrestling champion is a) a golden gloves champ and b) won euros in pankration

by that measure - you might want to tell ZERO time AA Frankie Edgar that all he's accomplished is because the AA's at his weight in college didn't participate in mma

also - because MMA/UFC is disorganized it doesn't matter and cannot be ascertained that he is the greatest prospect by virtually every account from people that follow the sport. I'll tell all the mma media outlets that Flying Tiger of Mat.com message board fame knows more than them.

the butt hurt is real.

1. Wrestling background has the biggest impact of all the combat sports that makes up MMA so a collegiate national champion wrestler is certainly going to get more hype then a Jr. level golden gloves champ or a regional Jr. level pankration winner from 7-8 years ago; he was what 12 or 13 years old. It's actually kind of silly that they are still being used to hype his career as a 20 year old adult. Bubba Jenkins went into MMA as a former Jr. World Champion and NCAA Champion. That's better credentials then anything Pico has accomplished. 

2. We are talking about hype heading into a MMA career, not accomplishments. I would imagine Edgar went into MMA with no hype whatsoever.

3. Emotional Hyperbole, no response required.

4. I posted a short sentence that you overreacted to. The "butt hurt" is clearly on your end, not mine.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I don't remember anyone in the history of MMA having the varied skill set that Pico has before their first pro fight. He is elite in both striking and grappling. That is EXCEEDINGLY rare, so rare that I'm not sure anyone going into MMA has ever done it before. The closest guy to being elite in both whom I can remember is Cody Garbrandt, who was a wrestling state champ in Ohio and then quit to box as an amateur and racked up a very good record locally (30-1). Still, his accomplishments sport pale in comparison to what Pico achieved at the same age. Also, Pico passes the eye test as a prospect more than anyone I've ever seen, and I've followed the sport closely since inception. His wrestling and conditioning are as good as it'll get in MMA and his hand speed and power are insane. He is the best prospect ever.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Hey, Willie,

Any chance you can book this as a who's number one after the Worlds/Pico's fight, and let them settle it on the mat?  You're always saying, rightly, that wrestling should utilize story-lines and trash talking for big events, plus you'll draw some MMA eyes over.  Is there anything in Pico's contract(s) which you can't work with?

Sorry if someone already suggested this, wasn't super interested in reading the whole thread, tbh.

I don't remember anyone in the history of MMA having the varied skill set that Pico has before their first pro fight. He is elite in both striking and grappling. That is EXCEEDINGLY rare, so rare that I'm not sure anyone going into MMA has ever done it before. The closest guy to being elite in both whom I can remember is Cody Garbrandt, who was a wrestling state champ in Ohio and then quit to box as an amateur and racked up a very good record locally (30-1). Still, his accomplishments sport pale in comparison to what Pico achieved at the same age. Also, Pico passes the eye test as a prospect more than anyone I've ever seen, and I've followed the sport closely since inception. His wrestling and conditioning are as good as it'll get in MMA and his hand speed and power are insane. He is the best prospect ever.

When is the last time Pico has competed in boxing event? As far as I can tell from his bio, he hasn't won anything since he was 12 years old. If he is such an elite boxer, why hasn't he competed in the actual golden gloves division (16+)? 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

When is the last time Pico has competed or won an event in boxing? As far as I can tell from his bio, he hasn't won anything since he was 12 years old. If he is such an elite boxer, why hasn't he competed in the actual golden gloves division (16+)?

Because he was busy beating senior world champs and trying to make Olympic teams in wrestling. But feel free to visit with his boxing champ training partners and ask whether Pico still has boxing chops. He was focused on wrestling but still cross-trained in boxing. Or ask his UFC champ training partners (including one Daniel Cormier) what they think of Pico as a prospect.

Nobody has had the breadth of fighting skills Pico currently possesses before actually fighting as an MMA pro. If someone has, post the name.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Because he was busy beating senior world champs and trying to make Olympic teams in wrestling. But feel free to visit with his boxing champ training partners and ask whether Pico still has boxing chops. He was focused on wrestling but still cross-trained in boxing. Or ask his UFC champ training partners (including one Daniel Cormier) what they think of Pico as a prospect.

Nobody has had the breadth of fighting skills Pico currently possesses before actually fighting as an MMA pro. If someone has, post the name.

Jon Jones.  My proof?  He has never lost a fight (other than the dq) and was dominant from day one.  

What do they have in common?  Both of them are irrelevant to international wrestling.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

on what planet was brock a bigger prospect?

it wasn't even anticipated that he would do mma and didn't for 8 years after graduating from college, and at age 30.

you're not the most anticipated MMA prospect ever by virtue of being a a 1x NCAA champ who went to the WWE for 7 years.

Edited by Husker_Du

on what planet was brock a bigger prospect?

it wasn't even anticipated that he would do mma and didn't for 8 years after graduating from college, and at age 30.

you're not the most anticipated MMA prospect ever by virtue of being a a 1x NCAA champ who went to the WWE for 7 years.

Actually, since MMA is pretty much only about how much $$ you make per fight and how much publicity you can create, it does make Brock a bigger prospect.  

The reality is nobody is answering legitimately because there is no answer other than Aaron Pico. Whether he will do well in MMA is debatable. But his pedigree being unique before his first pro fight is not.

Yes there is.  This guy was better, although less hyped:  

He didn't have a hype machine behind him, but talent wise he was the better prospect than Pico.  When you rank a prospect in baseball, you don't just look at how well they hit at the high school level.  You look at their tools and potential.  By that combined measure (tools + potential), Jones > Pico.  

So in conclusion:

Best prospect prior to debut: Jon Jones

Most hyped prior to debut:  Brock Lesnar

Edited by Billyhoyle