Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

Cadet world title. Cool, he was an impressive schoolboy. Any US Senior titles? Nope? Zain is the current US FS Champion....something that Pico has never been.

If anybody is being rude and disrespectful, it's Pico. He's acting like a spoiled, jealous punk. I think he's afraid to step on the mat with Zain, otherwise he'd just do so. Talk, you see, is very cheap.

Got you talking about him...... mission accomplished.

Unfortunately from a wrestling perspective, Pico has been rushed from his freshman year in high school on. He is extremely talented, no doubt about it, but it seems the people in a position to guide him have operated with MMA $$ in mind from the get-go. Could of been a rare CA 4 time state champ but he was pulled out after his freshman year, college appears to viewed as just a waste of time and despite making the WTT finals, his international career was ended at 19! I'm sure he will do well in MMA but he skipped a lot of quality endeavors unnecessarily, imo, and there could be a lot more what-ifs if his career doesn't go as planned.

Couldn't agree more. I've been thinking the same. Everything with him is rushed and he tends to bail before ultimate success.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

yeah I'm sure Retherford wasn't even trying to win when they wrestled. the only wrestling matches that count are D1 NCAA wins and senior freestyle wins from 2017 and on. 

In the big scheme of things, not one of his victories over Zain mattered.    I'll take being 0-6 vs Pico, being on the World Team, winning numerous NCAA titles, and a Hodge(or 2) over a Cadet World title, numerous 2nd place finishes, 3rds, 4ths, a win over a former WC, any day.  From the look of things, Zain's embarking on a great career.  Verdict is still out on AP.

Yes he's beaten Molinaro in the past, but his last 2 matches were losses against Molinaro.

Zain has defeated IMO a better version of Molinaro in his last 2 matchss.

If I had to pick, I would choose Pico Over Zain, but to write him off as if it's a forgone conclusion based on matches that took place in 2015 is pretty silly.

I don't think Zain defeated a better version of Molinaro. That's neither here nor there though.

Sgallan. Please name a match that has really mattered? He is an incredible talent, and if he followed a similar path as Snyder(time at the OTC and then maybe on to wrestle in college) i am pretty sure things would be different. I do think he would have accomplished much more; trials winner, wrestling at the WC and even Olympics. That being said, he didn't and likely won't earn any medals. Let's see how he does in the beginning of his MMA career, before handing him the belt. You guys had him waltzing in and "whippin'" everyone, before he even began.

Sgallan. Please name a match that has really mattered? He is an incredible talent, and if he followed a similar path as Snyder(time at the OTC and then maybe on to wrestle in college) i am pretty sure things would be different. I do think he would have accomplished much more; trials winner, wrestling at the WC and even Olympics. That being said, he didn't and likely won't earn any medals. Let's see how he does in the beginning of his MMA career, before handing him the belt. You guys had him waltzing in and "whippin'" everyone, before he even began.

I have to say I agree with this. Pico is absolutely an incredible talent, however I feel like he has given up the opportunity to go down as one of the greatest of all time by basically bypassing/skipping every level. Is he good enough to? Sure, but while hes been very competitive at every level hes competed in he hasnt exactly won anything of major note. Yes he's beaten NCAA champs and world team members but like RetiredPoster has said, he hasn't exactly won any titles. Pico is an amazing talent no doubt, but I feel like his wrestling career is going to be remember as a could/should have done great things, but didnt because he was too busy trying to bypass where he currently was...

wow people are still losing their minds over Pico, like he didn't have the best 20 and under freestyle career of any American in recent memory. Maybe Cejudo was comparable but any further back and it's different eras and comparisons become tricky.

anyway, I'm with everyone else in hoping Retherford renders all this talk moot with a long and successful senior freestyle career. I just don't understand getting triggered by a dude because he choices an MMA career over wrestling. It's like you're taking it personal. Just enjoy Retherford and the rest of Team USA's competitions and ignore Pico if he gets you so steamed. 

We saw Aaron Pico on the local Fox station this afternoon doing an in-studio interview. It was on a tv in a restaurant, so we couldn't hear anything but here's a video clip of his appearance:

http://www.foxla.com/sports/262288967-video

He promotes his upcoming fight, of course, but also talks a bit about wrestling, family and some other stuff. It was actually a pretty good segment of the show and they flashed a lot of snippets of Pico wrestling (not seen in the video above).

Good kid, and does a nice job promoting the sport.

Yes there is.  This guy was better, although less hyped:  

He didn't have a hype machine behind him, but talent wise he was the better prospect than Pico.  When you rank a prospect in baseball, you don't just look at how well they hit at the high school level.  You look at their tools and potential.  By that combined measure (tools + potential), Jones > Pico.  

So in conclusion:

Best prospect prior to debut: Jon Jones

Most hyped prior to debut:  Brock Lesnar

Some believe Jon Jones is the greatest MMA practitioner of the past 25 years.   If that's the guy that's a better prospect than Aaron Pico, that may be an indicator of the company Pico may be compared to down the road.      

Pee in your Wheaties, really, what are you a child? If you don't agree with me why don't you make an effort to refute what I said . You just come off as inarticulate or mentally lazy making comments like that. It's rather embarrassing...and weird.

FT - Bellator has a former UFC fighter and world title contender named Josh Thompson.    He's been right in the mix for years.   He has wins over guys like Nate Diaz KO and Gilbert Melendez.  He's been champion and just over all a tough tough dude.     Pico turned his lights out prior to the knee injury over at AKA.    Word from the gym is Pico is a monster with his hands, hits very hard and with great technique.      The Pico  talk didn't just pop up in MMA circles because he  placed 2nd at the Olympic trials as a teenager, and has destroyed more NCAA champs that i can recall, including multiple Hodge winners, it's because people are seeing what he can do against established MMA guys and it is VERY impressive.    I think we're looking at a world champion in the not very distant future.    

A win is a win...?

I really don't see the point of people trying to downplay Pico's achievements. He may not even pan out in MMA (I don't think anyone believes that though), but he has incredible credentials going into it. People in MMA and wrestling have said he's the first 'modern' prototype protege for MMA, no one else has done as much as him while still young and just entering his prime.

Zain may very well have a more illustrious career than Pico, given many people's opinions he'll be our rep for the next few years as he takes over the mantle. I mean, the fact that he's made a senior world team means technically he has surpassed Pico's wrestling career achievements, right? But with the data we have given their MULTIPLE times wrestling each other, Pico has every right to believe he would get another W here.

At no point in any of their matches (and I've watched them all multiple times) has Pico ever been threatened by Zain. When the scores were (relatively) close, it was pretty clear Pico was letting off his gas in the 2nd period's last minute, and wasn't engaging any more with the hands to the face Zain developed specifically for Pico. I don't even think it's a knock against Zain, I just think it is an absolute nightmare matchup for him going against Pico's style.

And I'm of the camp that believes Pico should have just kept his mouth shut! 😕