Flying-Tiger

Pico Want's To Have His Cake And Eat It Too

FT - Bellator has a former UFC fighter and world title contender named Josh Thompson.    He's been right in the mix for years.   He has wins over guys like Nate Diaz KO and Gilbert Melendez.  He's been champion and just over all a tough tough dude.     Pico turned his lights out prior to the knee injury over at AKA.    Word from the gym is Pico is a monster with his hands, hits very hard and with great technique.      The Pico  talk didn't just pop up in MMA circles because he  placed 2nd at the Olympic trials as a teenager, and has destroyed more NCAA champs that i can recall, including multiple Hodge winners, it's because people are seeing what he can do against established MMA guys and it is VERY impressive.    I think we're looking at a world champion in the not very distant future.    

Cletus, thought you weren't much of a fan of MMA. You've described it in some, well,  unsavory ways prior; unless I'm mixing you up with someone else. 

Sgallan. Please name a match that has really mattered? He is an incredible talent, and if he followed a similar path as Snyder(time at the OTC and then maybe on to wrestle in college) i am pretty sure things would be different. I do think he would have accomplished much more; trials winner, wrestling at the WC and even Olympics. That being said, he didn't and likely won't earn any medals. Let's see how he does in the beginning of his MMA career, before handing him the belt. You guys had him waltzing in and "whippin'" everyone, before he even began.

Troll

Pico's MMA debut will be interesting.  The guy he's fighting is something like 8-2, not some 0-0 or 0-1 jobber they usually feed top prospects.  It's also in MSG, a far bigger stage than he's ever experienced before. 

Like the rest of his career, Pico's team appears to be putting the cart before the horse.  Objectively, it didn't work out in wrestling, but we'll see how it goes in MMA. 

Love the interview, thanks for posting.  

Pico is just too much for Zain, mostly due to the hand fight and gas tank.    Despite being a couple years younger, Pico will always big brother the Penn State stand out.    It's just how wrestling works some times.     Not a fan of Flo, but I have to give kudos on this one.  Huge Pico fan, love seeing media on him.    

To recap, Zain = 1 Senior World Team.  Pico = 0 Senior World Teams.    

so now the only win that counts is making the senior world team. I'm sure everyone on the senior world team right now has higher goals but I guess if you're comparing a 21 year old who just made his first senior team to a 19 year old who just barely missed making the Olympic team then it is now the pinnacle. 

Pico really has people flipping out. it's kinda funny tbh. 

wow people are still losing their minds over Pico, like he didn't have the best 20 and under freestyle career of any American in recent memory. Maybe Cejudo was comparable but any further back and it's different eras and comparisons become tricky.

Did you forget the Boy King?

Anyway -- anyone surprised that Pico would have great confidence in his ability to beat Zain again is being silly. Getting too worked up over the interview.

Wishing Pico great success in his future. If he is as awesome as people think he is, it will be another feather in wrestling's cap.

you guys are wandering from the point.  wrestling accomplishments/credentials alone are not what is making him the "best MMA prospect ever", but its the only thing that is fitting your narrative so its what you're running with.

Snyder, Hall and Lee all have better careers in freestyle at 20 or under and they did it while splitting time with Folk. 

Hall and Lee wrestle both styles but I am not sure Snyder counts; he wrestles free even when wrestling folkstyle rules......take em down, let them up, repeat. The only difference is more of his freestyle matches are competitive, not many more, but more. 

If somebody wants to wrestle in college, fine. If they don't, fine. I don't really care one way or another anymore. I think folk hurts our depth internationally, because it is a grind, with a lot of matches, an awful lot of the guys end their college careers too beat up, or burned out, to continue. But it is what it is.

As far as the education thing goes, it is possible to get a college degree without a wrestling scholarship, people do it all the time. Actually even Cejudo ended up getting his degree.

Edited by sgallan

wow people are still losing their minds over Pico, like he didn't have the best 20 and under freestyle career of any American in recent memory. Maybe Cejudo was comparable but any further back and it's different eras and comparisons become tricky.

anyway, I'm with everyone else in hoping Retherford renders all this talk moot with a long and successful senior freestyle career. I just don't understand getting triggered by a dude because he choices an MMA career over wrestling. It's like you're taking it personal. Just enjoy Retherford and the rest of Team USA's competitions and ignore Pico if he gets you so steamed.

Best 20 and under career? Maybe by the same logic that labels him the best mma prospect. Lee, Hall, and Snyder were all better recently. Gable Stevenson probably as well.

ooh yeah, Snyder. shoulda said 18 and under. or said no upper weights. 

Hall doesn't have the senior level credentials of Pico. Lee have the potential but he'll have to wrestle a lot more senior matches to catch Pico. Steveson too. NCAA taking up too much of their time. 

future for USA is looking bright tho. 

Hall doesn't have the senior level credentials of Pico. Lee have the potential but he'll have to wrestle a lot more senior matches to catch Pico. Steveson too. NCAA taking up too much of their time. 

What senior level credentials does Pico have?  I'm not aware of any top senior level tournaments that he has done well in.  If you are talking about beating the domestic 65 kg wrestlers at the WTT (except Molinaro), I'd argue that it is one of our weakest weights. Hall and Lee have clearly been the better Junior wrestlers.  The truth is that Pico left the sport before he had a chance to really prove himself on the international level.  I have no doubt he'd be the WT rep this year if he stuck with it, but he decided to pursue a different sport and is now irrelevant.  

BTW, Cejudo was on the world team at 20, had a junior silver medal, and I believe placed in more international tournaments than Pico.  So He'd also probably be ranked higher.  

Even with 18 and under Lee, Snyder, and Steveson all trump Pico. 

What senior level credentials does Pico have?  I'm not aware of any top senior level tournaments that he has done well in.  If you are talking about beating the domestic 65 kg wrestlers at the WTT (except Molinaro), I'd argue that it is one of our weakest weights. Hall and Lee have clearly been the better Junior wrestlers.  The truth is that Pico left the sport before he had a chance to really prove himself on the international level.  I have no doubt he'd be the WT rep this year if he stuck with it, but he decided to pursue a different sport and is now irrelevant.  

BTW, Cejudo was on the world team at 20, had a junior silver medal, and I believe placed in more international tournaments than Pico.  So He'd also probably be ranked higher.  

Even with 18 and under Lee, Snyder, and Steveson all trump Pico. 

Pico has a lot of senior credentials. you should look them up! he won the Deglane in 2014 as an 18 year old and beat the 2013 world champ Safaryan in the finals. also has wins 4 wins over Molinaro, 2 over Humphrey, 2 over Kulchityskyy and one over Oliver, Ness, Chamberlain and Russell. 

Pretty sure easily outpaces Cejudo's pre Olympic credentials, but I think a lot of his stuff is missing from the database. 

I'm hoping Lee and Steveson eclipse Pico's senior level accomplishments before they turn 20. that would be incredible! I think Steveson has the best chance but a lot has to happen between now and then. 

you guys are wandering from the point.  wrestling accomplishments/credentials alone are not what is making him the "best MMA prospect ever", but its the only thing that is fitting your narrative so its what you're running with.

He's lacking in the domestic violence credential, so he can't be the best MMA prospect. 

lol.  Keep adding qualifiers, please. 

Edited by LemonPie

What senior level credentials does Pico have? 

Senior Level Freestyle Wrestling

• 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg 2nd Place
  • 2016 Alexander Medved International Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Bronze Medal
  • 2015 Bill Farrell Memorial International Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Champion
  • 2015 Cerro Pelado Int'l Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Champion - Havana, Cuba[10]
  • 2014 Henri Deglane Challenge Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Champion – Nice, France[11]
  • 2014 Soslan Andiyev Senior Men Freestyle 70 kg Bronze Medal – North Ossetia — Alania, Russia[12]
  • 2014 Grand Prix of Spain Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Silver Medal – Madrid, Spain[13]

now, there's no world championships, olympics, yarygin etc. in there, but to act like he doesn't have any accomplishments is pretty silly, billy.

Senior Level Freestyle Wrestling

• 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg 2nd Place
  • 2016 Alexander Medved International Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Bronze Medal
  • 2015 Bill Farrell Memorial International Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Champion
  • 2015 Cerro Pelado Int'l Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Champion - Havana, Cuba[10]
  • 2014 Henri Deglane Challenge Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Champion – Nice, France[11]
  • 2014 Soslan Andiyev Senior Men Freestyle 70 kg Bronze Medal – North Ossetia — Alania, Russia[12]
  • 2014 Grand Prix of Spain Senior Men Freestyle 65 kg Silver Medal – Madrid, Spain[13]

now, there's no world championships, olympics, yarygin etc. in there, but to act like he doesn't have any accomplishments is pretty silly, billy.

the 16 Medved was probably his best tournament. beat Tlashadze and Ganzorig. 

he wasn't going to beat Ramonov in the Olympics but he had an outside shot at a bronze. 

I can only imagine Flo's headline/reaction if Georgi Gogaev of Russia, who was injured in 2016, came out and said he would have beaten Snyder in Rio (and then promptly retired). 

Those nasty, nasty Russians.  Just nasty. 

Edited by LemonPie

I can only imagine Flo's headline/reaction if Georgi Gogaev of Russia, who was injured in 2016, came out and said he would have beaten Snyder in Rio (and then promptly retired). 

Those nasty, nasty Russians.  Just nasty. 

I would love to see more of Gogaev. He gasses so hard, its great. 

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/VideoPlayer.jsp?TIM=1497900594229&twSessionId=xvqmtzdvpacxehi&matchId=2191133011