Photo

Mejia back on the market...where does he land?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Old_Marine_Wrestler

Old_Marine_Wrestler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:04 AM

I've had a kid in a Pac12 and a Big10 room. Both schools out of state.

An 18-19 year old being "independent" isn't the same as a Master's student.

I like NIke but wait a minute, the sport supports so put some money in it

#22 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:18 AM

"application error" sounds conspicuous. Wonder what the real issue might be?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll give him/them the benefit of the doubt for now and take it for what they said. They may have said he was eligible for some type of scholarship that would have paid for a good portion of it, but due to some error he really wasn't eligible, or someone didn't get him signed up in time to get it. Thus he's looking for another school option that would allow him that amount of scholarship coverage.

#23 HawkFanactic1

HawkFanactic1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:25 AM

I've had a kid in a Pac12 and a Big10 room. Both schools out of state.

An 18-19 year old being "independent" isn't the same as a Master's student.

Did they move there a year before enrolling? Because that's exactly what Lee did for PSU this past year in order to get better training & get in state tuition. That's what I did on the recommendation of a friend who did it for undergrad. It works man.

#24 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:31 AM

Did they move there a year before enrolling? Because that's exactly what Lee did for PSU this past year in order to get better training & get in state tuition. That's what I did on the recommendation of a friend who did it for undergrad. It works man.

It depends on the states in-state college rules how that works. For some states simply moving for that previous year is not a indication of enough residency to get the full in-state tuition.

#25 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:21 AM

I think his application error was sending it to the wrong school. 

or his board scores were not high enough to get accepted.

#26 Old_Marine_Wrestler

Old_Marine_Wrestler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

It depends on the states in-state college rules how that works. For some states simply moving for that previous year is not a indication of enough residency to get the full in-state tuition.

As well as whether the student is being claimed on a parent/guardians tax return or is on a parent/guardians health plan.

I like NIke but wait a minute, the sport supports so put some money in it

#27 pamela

pamela

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

I figured that he'd want to make a decision very quickly since it's mid-June and classes are right around the corner, but if he plans on moving and gray-shirting then I guess he has some time to feel things out.

Sounds like he really wants to wrestling in the Big Ten...

#28 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:05 AM

"Due to an application error I was denied the right to attend Illinois."  

Yep, sounds like there is more to this story. Not sure if attending the school of your choice is a "right"  but whatever the case hopefully he lands somewhere. I would think Fresno State would be an option but Steiner has already recruited pretty heavily at 125, 133 and 141. Would love to see him land at Oregon State. 

#29 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 28,731 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:27 AM

I think iowa.

I hope ASU

I'm not convinced he will be a force. Hope I'm wrong, wherever he ends up.

I am not sure he makes the line-up at Iowa. At ASU he probably even makes it to the NCAA's. I don't see him ever becoming an AA. 

#30 doubleleg121

doubleleg121

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:31 AM

In most states you have to be a resident for one year (12 full months) to be eligible for in state tuition, without being enrolled in classes. That means an address and utilities, drivers license, and registered to vote. Having a job working at least 20 hours is a plus as well. For a freshman that means they would need to set up residency the summer after graduating high school. If you are applying for financial aid you have to have 2 years of w-2's. I don't think you have to if not doing financial aid though. With that, the parents most likely would not be able to claim them the following year either since they aren't a "student". This is the case in most situations. I do not have a kid in college but I do have 3 Associates, a BS in science, a Math certificate in education, an MS, a second MS+15, and a Doctorate in education. All accounting for about 290 college credits from 4 different colleges in 3 states.

While it can vary by state and institution, that is typically the requirements for gaining in state tuition. However, you can also get it if your parent is a resident if the state.... Often o. The case of divorced families or a similar situation.

#31 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:50 AM

There are quite a few exceptions for out of state tuition as well as exchange programs between schools that waive the out of state fees. It depends on the school. The hard part for Mejia at this point will be scholarship money and financial aid. The team that jumps first with available money may be the winner. 

#32 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

Maybe Mr. Mejia has a keen eye on the budget crisis at the state level.... 

• silver-medal likes this

#33 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

I work in higher ed admissions and his reason made me wonder what he meant when he stated "application error" as a reason for not attending our state's flagship university. Justin committed back in September and now that Perry has left there's an issue with Mejia's application?

Anyway, good luck to the young man. He's certainly in high demand from just about every program in the country.

#34 grappler6

grappler6

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

He is considering Iowa, Ohio State and Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

used to be ocho, now I'm me

Follow me on Twitter or I'll follow you in real life. @CodyOcho5

#35 Joe24

Joe24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

I think iowa.

I hope ASU

I'm not convinced he will be a force. Hope I'm wrong, wherever he ends up.

Maybe he can be a mop-up partner for Desanto.  I would like to see him at Iowa since this is where he originally wanted to be...and Perry is there as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users