nom

Why doesn't Dake wrestle more internationally?

Like everyone else, I'd love to see Kyle compete against great foreign competition on a more regular basis. That said, it would be crazy to ignore the fact that he was injured for a substantial amount of time, thus not competing. He doesn't seem to be one to throw in the towel when things get tough. He's young and he knows that he is in striking distance of JB at this point. I can't imagine he slows down now.

Soon as Burroughs retires Dake will take his spot and dominate until he retires.

How much longer does Dake realistically have without JB competing? Dake has to be about 27 now, JB has stated to the Flo guys he plans to compete through 2020 which makes Dake 30, and by that time Hall, Valencia, and others will competing. As much as I like Dake, he might be the best to never make a team, however the weight class additions might change that.  

you guys are ignoring the fact that Dake has closed the gap dramatically. I think its because he is now large for the weight, but regardless, all these smug remarks are pretty lame.

Whiny excuses deserve smug remarks...I see very little of a gap closure.. Seems to me he has no second period. He was 30 seconds away from going to the world's in match #2 and he choked.

How much longer does Dake realistically have without JB competing? Dake has to be about 27 now, JB has stated to the Flo guys he plans to compete through 2020 which makes Dake 30, and by that time Hall, Valencia, and others will competing. As much as I like Dake, he might be the best to never make a team, however the weight class additions might change that.  

That's a strong comment but might be true.  Funny thing is, his coach and mentor (koll) had a few studs ahead of him in the USA team ladder back in the early 90's.

AK,

Careful on your slight of Americans.  Wrestling not the #1 sport here as it is in Russia and that part of the world.  It's not even on the radar.  You say 'wrestling' here in US and people think WWE, always have to explain and say the Olympic kind.  Same goes for Soccer.  Huge worldwide, not here.

So no parades, welcomes at the airports, etc.

AK,

Careful on your slight of Americans.  Wrestling not the #1 sport here as it is in Russia and that part of the world.  It's not even on the radar.  You say 'wrestling' here in US and people think WWE, always have to explain and say the Olympic kind.  Same goes for Soccer.  Huge worldwide, not here.

So no parades, welcomes at the airports, etc.

So why does he need to be careful of slighting Americans? Only about 500 people in the US care about wrestling as much as AK does. 

Well if the UWW adds a weight class like 80 Kg, who wins that? Does David Taylor drop down? Or will David win and at 86, and be a non factor. Does Mark Hall move right in? Or Zahid Valencia take the spot? Someone else? Unless the UWW dramatically alters the weights, (which I don't see since they just revamped everything a few years ago), I don't think a (or these) new weight classe(s) will be an automatic spot for KD. But I agree he does need to do something and perhaps going overseas might be the way to breakthrough.