• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart1

Stuart1

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

If this weight happens, curious who can get down to this weight 121 lbs is pretty light and these guys have not gone down to this weight probably since high school.  Doubt Ramos, Graff, tomasello could get down and no chance for Nahshon to make that weight.  I think Gillman is small enough so would really benefit him, than you have perelli, megaludis, delgado, and Sanders who would be able to get down.  So three of the top four at 125 will probably not be able to make the weight.  The 125 weight was turning into a weight where the small 133s from college were winning, now that will be much more difficult will be more of the college 125s.  Fix will enter the picture as well right away.

#2 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

Spencer Lee too
  • WildTurkey44 likes this

#3 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:25 PM

According to TBar Megaludis has a job and should no longer be expected to perform at a high level like he once was.
  • WildTurkey44 likes this

#4 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:17 PM

To my understanding, new rules supposed to have same day weigh-in and a second weigh-in (with two kilos) for the second day finals.  Will be tough for the massive weight cutters to function in the early rounds looking at another cut the next day.

All Motown, All the Time

http://www.writeondetroit.com/

#5 pamela

pamela

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:24 AM

55kg sounds like it would be a much narrower weight then, esp since the overall trend is that the average adult is growing larger.

Could Cory Clark make ge weight under the new rules? Waters? I guess there's also Picc, Suriano (or is he going MMA?), Cruz, Terao(s), Dance?

#6 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

I believe UWW will make a 52 Kg, class and keep 57 where it is. And if this occurs, I think that we may see a lot of younger US kids in this class, however we may see the other countries with older competitors.
Back in the day the classes were 105, 114, 125, 136, 149, 163, 180, 198, 220, and Hwt. So right now we are 57, or 125, 61, or 134, 65, or 143, 70, or 154, 74, or 163, 86, or 189, 97, or 213, and 125 or 275.
So unless the UWW, wants to revamp all these weights, which I don't see them doing, I think we will just see them adding two classes one at 80, and another weight for individuals under 57, like 52. Which is the old 114 class. I doubt we will ever see the old 105 lbs. class ever again. But I guess we will have to wait and see what the UWW actually does.

#7 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:17 AM

I don't see any need for a 52kg class, especially if it's two hour and not day before weighins.  Can any of the current 57kg freestylers make that?  I don't even think Sanders can pull it off...

#8 wnywrestling

wnywrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:55 AM

If it's 52, I suppose we'd see a new group of guys emerge who were undersized for college and either didn't compete or didn't do so well due to their small stature.  Just look at Fargo Jrs, where they wrestle 100, 106, & 113.  There are a lot of guys there, more than I think people realize.

http://www.trackwres...rnamentId=75123

MARCH MAT-NESS

Week 1 - ~76 teams - NCAA Tournament (The same 3-day tourney everyone loves; team score determines wildcards)
Week 2 - 16 teams - Dual meets, separate locations, separate times (Conference dual champs + wildcards)
Week 3 -  8 teams - Dual meets, separate locations, separate times
Week 4 -  4 teams - Winning team is NCAA champion

Anything else is bush league.

#9 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,853 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

A smaller weight might lead more of the smaller guys to stick with wrestling and focus on the international styles instead of trying to bulk up for ncaas and still end up being undersized competing against guys cutting down from the mid 130's or give up wrestling all together. It would be interesting to see what would happen.
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#10 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:28 AM

So unless the UWW, wants to revamp all these weights, which I don't see them doing

I definitely see them revamping every single weight. they did a very extensive revamping in 2014, which including having completely different weights for freestyle and greco. 

I also think there is an extremely low probability of adding a 52kg weight class. I think 55 would be the smallest, and with same day weigh ins my guess is it starts at 57.

@JaroslavWrestle

#11 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

To JH, that's my point, they just revamped everything a couple of years ago, why would they want to do it again? What would be the benefit? I would think that if I was running the UWW, and wanted to add weight classes, I would want to look at the huge gaps like we have between 74 and 86. And put in an 80. The reason I think we may go back to a smaller class than 57, is that fact that international wrestling has had smaller weight classes in the past, and history tends to repeat itself.
Anyway it may just depend on the numbers that the UWW are looking at, and maybe whatever else may be an influence on them, I guess we will have to just wait and see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users