Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Flo Article - Pico top wins

Pretty impressive list of wins.. I didn't realize Pico took several years off wrestling completely to focus on boxing. Now I really doubt he will miss much of a step if he decides to come back to wrestling one day.

Pretty impressive list of wins.. I didn't realize Pico took several years off wrestling completely to focus on boxing. Now I really doubt he will miss much of a step if he decides to come back to wrestling one day.

When he was a little guy he was tough in a sea of tough little ones, but the prodigy he was to become didn't start to show until after he took the time off and started wrestling again. It took about a year and then he just lapped the field and went to a new level.

When he was a little guy he was tough in a sea of tough little ones, but the prodigy he was to become didn't start to show until after he took the time off and started wrestling again. It took about a year and then he just lapped the field and went to a new level.

I didn't realize he took time off from wrestling either. Any insight on when he did and how long he took off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realize he took time off from wrestling either. Any insight on when he did and how long he took off?

I don't exactly remember, I just remember he was around in the tougher little kids tournaments. My kid was around the same age and weight but while she never wrestled him a few kids she wrestled over the years did. He was top tier but he'd lose some at the tough tournaments. He wasn't a prodigy like say, Cade Olivas, was as a youth. Then he was gone. I am guessing he left right around middle school age. A lot of kids out west seem to disappear then; some come back, some don't. Then he was back at monster garage, doing really well, and I thought - he sure turned a corner - but still got beat up in a tournament by the kid that won Cali State at 106 the following year. Then he was basically winning everything. I heard later he had been boxing and was really good at it. 

I don't exactly remember, I just remember he was around in the tougher little kids tournaments. My kid was around the same age and weight but while she never wrestled him a few kids she wrestled over the years did. He was top tier but he'd lose some at the tough tournaments. He wasn't a prodigy like say, Cade Olivas, was as a youth. Then he was gone. I am guessing he left right around middle school age. A lot of kids out west seem to disappear then; some come back, some don't. Then he was back at monster garage, doing really well, and I thought - he sure turned a corner - but still got beat up in a tournament by the kid that won Cali State at 106 the following year. Then he was basically winning everything. I heard later he had been boxing and was really good at it.

Very interesting... thanks for sharing!

Well It would've been nice if Pico had waited another year before jumping to MMA. I have no idea if he would've beaten the Zain Train this year, but just having him in the mix could've altered everything. However, even if he didn't win the spot this year he would've certainly been right in the thick of things. But if he did win and let's just say for argument sake, he goes to Paris and wins the title. I think he then walks into Bellator and commands a hefty amount of money, and because of his medal and following, I'm sure they give it to him and it also makes up for this past year where he wasn't getting paid.

I have no idea what Henry Cejudo got for his MMA signing, but I think Aaron with a fresh medal/title in hand would be worth a lot of money.

Anyway, as I said on another post, with Aaron going to Bellator so soon in his wrestling career is a loss for USA Wrestling. I do understand that there might be other things at play, like this might be what he really wants, and the financial incentives, so I wish him well. As far as coming back to wrestling after MMA? I don't know, I don't think it's very likely, but he's a very unique guy, so who knows.

What weight is Pico fighting at?  I would think his days of making 65kilos are over, think if he stayed another cycle he would have been at 70kg.  Which could have factored into his decision given that it isn't an Olympic weight.

he is fighting at 155 this weekend for the purpose of focusing on training and not having to worry about making weight...

i just saw his face off with freeman... pico is way outsized... almost comically outsized...  

Well It would've been nice if Pico had waited another year before jumping to MMA. I have no idea if he would've beaten the Zain Train this year, but just having him in the mix could've altered everything. However, even if he didn't win the spot this year he would've certainly been right in the thick of things. But if he did win and let's just say for argument sake, he goes to Paris and wins the title. I think he then walks into Bellator and commands a hefty amount of money, and because of his medal and following, I'm sure they give it to him and it also makes up for this past year where he wasn't getting paid.

I have no idea what Henry Cejudo got for his MMA signing, but I think Aaron with a fresh medal/title in hand would be worth a lot of money.

Anyway, as I said on another post, with Aaron going to Bellator so soon in his wrestling career is a loss for USA Wrestling. I do understand that there might be other things at play, like this might be what he really wants, and the financial incentives, so I wish him well. As far as coming back to wrestling after MMA? I don't know, I don't think it's very likely, but he's a very unique guy, so who knows.

He got a chunk of money on signing and has been collecting it for three years without even having a fight yet. 

Great article and an enjoyable read.

Just curious, is Pico favored to win his MMA match? Not in terms of hype, but in terms of what the analysts and Vegas oddsmakers are saying... or is it too small (or risky?) of a match for them to pay attention to?

I'd like to see a flowrestling article about Aaron Judge. I know he isn't wrestling, but what he's doing is a great story.

U meant Pico right?

he is fighting at 155 this weekend for the purpose of focusing on training and not having to worry about making weight...

i just saw his face off with freeman... pico is way outsized... almost comically outsized...

Freeman has almost half a foot on Pico. This would be a pretty impressive victory for him if he manages to get the job done.

freeman is listed as primarily a grappler, so, even with a huge size advantage i would have to guess pico is able to totally control him on the mat by sheer talent alone... my guess is he boxes him up first...

Is it possible that Pico was contractually obligated to start his MMA career now, especially if he got his bonus money a while back?

Had he made the Olympic team and won a medal, that would have raised his stature. But I don't know if a world championship medal would provide the same boost. Sad to say, but the general public cares about Olympic medals, but not at all about non-Olympic medals.

The ESPN article suggest as much: "Terms of the deal have not been disclosed, but it provided Pico a monthly stipend and the freedom to make a run at the 2016 U.S. Olympic wrestling team." 

Edited by NJDan

everything i have heard pico say was that coker gave him the freedom to do whatever he wanted... pico was also supposed to be on the world cup team after the WTT and blew his knee out while training for that... it was shortly thereafter when pico made the decision to start his fighting career...

again, makes perfect sense... try fighting out for a couple of years to see how it suits him... if he doesn't get what he was looking for then switch back to wrestling full time and train for 2020 full time...

If I remember right when he signed that deal there was talk about it included items that basically said Olympic focus rights, so to speak, ran through 2020 and 2020 was his true realistic outlook. I could see this being a step along the path they layed out. Focus through 2016, give us some time in the cage, then reset for run at 2020 if desired...