Sign in to follow this  
Chingadiculous

I really enjoyed Aaron Pico's undefeated streak in MMA

Look, I hate to kick a man when he's down, but Pico's team has done him disservice after disservice.  They've now put the cart before the horse in two different sports and have nothing to show for it.    

Nobody, and I mean nobody, fights a guy who's 8-2 and a head taller in their very first professional fight on a PPV card in Madison Square Garden.  I have no idea what the thought process was booking that fight, but Pico had absolutely no business being put in that kind of situation.  

Look, I hate to kick a man when he's down, but Pico's team has done him disservice after disservice.  They've now put the cart before the horse in two different sports and have nothing to show for it.    

Nobody, and I mean nobody, fights a guy who's 8-2 and a head taller in their very first professional fight on a PPV card in Madison Square Garden.  I have no idea what the thought process was booking that fight, but Pico had absolutely no business being put in that kind of situation.  

While I agree with your sentiment of Picos camp managing his hype poorly, in freestyle he had two Junior Worlds medals and a Cadet World championship. He also won several Senior level tournaments, with a win over a former World Champion. That's not exactly "putting the cart before the horse" leading up the the Olympic Team Trials. 

While I agree with your sentiment of Picos camp managing his hype poorly, in freestyle he had two Junior Worlds medals and a Cadet World championship. He also won several Senior level tournaments, with a win over a former World Champion. That's not exactly "putting the cart before the horse" leading up the the Olympic Team Trials.

I think they did put the cart in front of the horse a bit with his wrestling career. Fact is this, he could have taken more time to develop as a wrestler further cementing his abilities and accomplishments. Everything about his career has felt like a rush rush rush. IMO his trainers have done him a huge disservice. Kid could have won many more and bigger titles and unfortunately he has little to show for it. And when I say little to show for it I mean in terms of titles and accolades he is/was capable of winning, but actually didnt due to withdrawing so early and each step.

These were all Pico decisions, not 'mismanagement' from his team. Pico wanted to make a focus on the 2016 Olympics, convert focus to Mma with a corner eye still on 2020. He said that before he ever signed with Bellator. And he has gone right along that path. He wasn't interested in anymore state, or any NCAA titles. That was him, not his management. And he seems to be benefitting greatly from his path thus far.

These were all Pico decisions, not 'mismanagement' from his team. Pico wanted to make a focus on the 2016 Olympics, convert focus to Mma with a corner eye still on 2020. He said that before he ever signed with Bellator. And he has gone right along that path. He wasn't interested in anymore state, or any NCAA titles. That was him, not his management. And he seems to be benefitting greatly from his path thus far.

True. We dont actually know if is management ever tried to pump the brakes with him or not. With that said, it's arguable that it's the management's job to prevent him from making these types of decisions.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Agreed, how many 20 year olds get the opportunity to lose consciousness in a ppv fight at MSG?

SjT4BTp.gif

He may have said all of the above but I am pretty sure someone was pumping him up and steering him in a certain direction

He may have said all of the above but I am pretty sure someone was pumping him up and steering him in a certain direction

Exactly. What 15 year old comes up with a 10 year career plan all on his own?

Also, Pico has little to show in terms of titles? He has a Cadet World Gold and two Junior World medals. Those are some pretty hefty accomplishments.

Exactly. What 15 year old comes up with a 10 year career plan all on his own?

Also, Pico has little to show in terms of titles? He has a Cadet World Gold and two Junior World medals. Those are some pretty hefty accomplishments.

I agree they're hefty accomplishments, but he is/was capable of so much more.

The thing I did not get is the hype. The resume just isn't there. You have experienced fighters with professional boxing and fighting experience who are not labeled "the greatest mma prospect ever" before their first fight. You have guys like Cejudo that actually won an gold medal. You have multiple NCAA champions. Pico's boxing experience dates back to junior level. Nice that he won a cadet title. So have a lot of guys that would make poor mma fighters. (If Spencer Lee decides to forego college and start an mma career, does that make him the next "greatest mma prospect ever"?). I appreciate the Todd Marinovich-like fascination with Pico. But not rushing things and actually having some senior level boxing experience and better yet, maybe some amateur mma fights, would have served him much more than getting humiliated by a management that seemed to believe its own pr. Who makes the young man's first fight against an experienced, quality fighter on a stage like msg? Hubris or stupidity.    

Edited by straggler

I appreciate the Todd Marinovich-like fascination with Pico. But not rushing things and actually having some senior level boxing experience and better yet, maybe some amateur mma fights, would have served him much more than getting humiliated by a management that seemed to believe its own pr. 

Pico winning MMA belts and Olympic gold are lofty goals, but if he can outdo Marinovich's fall from grace then he will truly become an immortal!