Sign in to follow this  
Chingadiculous

I really enjoyed Aaron Pico's undefeated streak in MMA

there is a fine line between hubris and stupidity, but, this was not a greek tragedy...

the fact of the matter is that lots of more appropriate opponents turned down the pico fight... pico was fighting out of his weight class, which, does matter... he got offered a fight and he took it thinking he would win... that is what a fighter does... in the long term he will be fine...

there is a fine line between hubris and stupidity, but, this was not a greek tragedy...

the fact of the matter is that lots of more appropriate opponents turned down the pico fight... pico was fighting out of his weight class, which, does matter... he got offered a fight and he took it thinking he would win... that is what a fighter does... in the long term he will be fine...

Yep

This just sucks. 

I'm happy to blame the "adults" who helped create this narrative, even if they were just enabling the vision of a kid. Straggler's assessment on scheduling the first fight like this rings pretty clear to me. 

Fundamentally, it was a gamble: no risk = no reward, and sometimes risk is punishing. 

What are his options now? I hope he's considering some management changes, maybe a new tack now that they've sailed right into the wind. I don't doubt his talent, but this certainly appears to be an all the eggs in one basket scenario. One loss doesn't end his career, but a super humiliating first one raises some tough questions about the path they took. 

Is college off the table? 

Zain might finally get his win if they roll in folkstyle. It'd be a good story either way!

Sorry but that actually makes it worse. Every other fighter in the history of the sport has been able to find a reasonable debut fight opponent. There is always some struggling fighter out there looking for a paycheck. The entire history of boxing and mma attests to that. It is not that Pico's management could not find such an opponent or a more appropriate setting, just that they did not think they needed it. Now to read that Pico was fighting above his natural weight class is just icing on the cake. All fighters are confident, many over confident. And many fight managers convince themselves that they have the next big thing. It is up to the people guiding the fighter's career to put the fighter's feet back on the ground and to not shoot their fighter in the foot. Virtually every other prospect manages it. Compare this to who Cejudo fought in his first professional fight for example. So I would say a lot of hubris and a lot of stupidity.   

Glad you think in the long term he will be fine. But a lot of fighters careers get ruined by being pushed to soon. All I know is that Pico was made a national laughingstock. Not easy to come back from.

This just sucks. 

I'm happy to blame the "adults" who helped create this narrative, even if they were just enabling the vision of a kid. Straggler's assessment on scheduling the first fight like this rings pretty clear to me. 

Fundamentally, it was a gamble: no risk = no reward, and sometimes risk is punishing. 

What are his options now? I hope he's considering some management changes, maybe a new tack now that they've sailed right into the wind. I don't doubt his talent, but this certainly appears to be an all the eggs in one basket scenario. One loss doesn't end his career, but a super humiliating first one raises some tough questions about the path they took. 

Is college off the table? 

Zain might finally get his win if they roll in folkstyle. It'd be a good story either way!

Is Pico even eligible to compete in the NCAA?

Oh, right, the professional thing. My question was probably stupid. 

Shouldn't be a problem - different sports: 

"In the NCAA's confusing world of amateurism, you can be deemed an amateur in one sport while clearly a professional in another. A pro athlete paid in one sport can simultaneously play college athletics in a different sport and receive a scholarship. It doesn't happen much, but the sport most frequently impacted is a college football player who also participates in minor league baseball. In 2010, Kyle Parker was Clemson's quarterback after he got a $1.4 million signing bonus from the Colorado Rockies. Russell Wilson had a $200,000 signing bonus with the Rockies, some of which he had to return to the club when he left to play quarterback at Wisconsin. Roscoe Crosby had a $1.75 million signing bonus from the Kansas City Royals while a Clemson wide receiver in the early 2000s."

- Excerpt from CBS Sports article at: http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10-ways-college-athletes-can-get-paid-and-remain-eligible-for-their-sport/

Shouldn't be a problem - different sports: 

Thanks Hurricane! 

I'm a believer in higher education, but was swayed by the argument about the degradation of the body over 4-5 years for the really elite guys.

I think it's also valuable to see guys take a different path, better or worse we learn more from a variety of approaches than a single one. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be 'worse'.

Sorry but that actually makes it worse. Every other fighter in the history of the sport has been able to find a reasonable debut fight opponent. There is always some struggling fighter out there looking for a paycheck. The entire history of boxing and mma attests to that. It is not that Pico's management could not find such an opponent or a more appropriate setting, just that they did not think they needed it. Now to read that Pico was fighting above his natural weight class is just icing on the cake. All fighters are confident, many over confident. And many fight managers convince themselves that they have the next big thing. It is up to the people guiding the fighter's career to put the fighter's feet back on the ground and to not shoot their fighter in the foot. Virtually every other prospect manages it. Compare this to who Cejudo fought in his first professional fight for example. So I would say a lot of hubris and a lot of stupidity.   

Glad you think in the long term he will be fine. But a lot of fighters careers get ruined by being pushed to soon. All I know is that Pico was made a national laughingstock. Not easy to come back from.

lots of pure speculation coupled with hyperbole in the above... 

what do we know?

lots of fighters turned down fighting pico... how many is lots? not sure, but, lots was used many times in pre and post fight interviews by several different people...

pico was way outsized in this match up...

pico was not made a national laughing stock... he fought a much more experienced guy who was not a chump... **** happens in fights... everyone loses in MMA... it is the nature of the sport... 

only losers can't come back from losses and pico is not a loser... this is his job... he will get back to work and be fine... just like he did throughout his wrestling career

First time I've seen the punch. Funny thing is, Picos punch lands simultaneously and actually looks pretty good too...just not good enough. Margin for error is so small.

If you watch carefully you will notice, Pico takes the punch full force on the chin. Freeman on the other hand is coming in at an angle and actually rolls his head with the momentum of the punch, thus softening the blow.

Ive been comparing the AP situation with Marinovich for years. Though, I don't see AP making the decisions that Marinovich made. Its tough to be a youth superstar and then make that transition to the Seniors. Wrestling and Boxing "men" is very different than fighting, "young men."

First time I've seen the punch. Funny thing is, Picos punch lands simultaneously and actually looks pretty good too...just not good enough. Margin for error is so small.

Also didn't help Pico fell forward and right into Freeman's go-to BBJ finish. If he would have stumbled backward he may have had a couple more seconds to collect himself and defend against the initial ground attack. Great awareness and capitalization on Freeman's part despite getting hit himself.

I also thought they landed simultaneously until I slowed the video down and looked at it frame by frame.  Freeman got there a split second sooner with the uppercut - and it looked like that prevented Pico from getting full extension on his right.  However, I agree with you that  Pico's right looked pretty good.  I wonder what would have happened had Pico got there first. 

ezgif-3-0746ceee23.gif