Sign in to follow this  
Chingadiculous

I really enjoyed Aaron Pico's undefeated streak in MMA

Again, Speculation City....

If you're referring to my post, I disagree with the "Speculation City" characterization.  I merely said I wondered what would have happened had Pico landed his right first.  Now, if I'd claimed that right would have knocked Freeman out (or resulted in some other outcome), that would have been pure speculation, IMO.

Look, I hate to kick a man when he's down, but Pico's team has done him disservice after disservice. They've now put the cart before the horse in two different sports and have nothing to show for it.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, fights a guy who's 8-2 and a head taller in their very first professional fight on a PPV card in Madison Square Garden. I have no idea what the thought process was booking that fight, but Pico had absolutely no business being put in that kind of situation.

Couldn't agree more with this. It just seems he is over rushing his entire career.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I speculate Pico's debut was about as devastating to his MMA career as Mark Hall's NCAA debut.

The two are no where near the same thing. The scale of losing a debut college wrestling match vs losing a debut MMA fight are on two completely different levels.

This loss for Pico completely changes who his next fight will be as well as the payout/marketing of the match.

Hall's loss only really hurt his pride(maybe fueled his motivation) as well as his perceived ranking within a ranking system that quite honestly means little other than things for wrestling folk to talk about.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

The two are no where near the same thing. The scale of losing a debut college wrestling match vs losing a debut MMA fight are on two completely different levels.

This loss for Pico completely changes who his next fight will be as well as the payout/marketing of the match.

Hall's loss only really hurt his pride(maybe fueled his motivation) as well as his perceived ranking within a ranking system that quite honestly means little other than things for wrestling folk to talk about.

Also, Mark Hall got another bout the next day or the next week. MMA fighters have to wait months to rebound.

Not comparing losses, speculating on career after loss.  This is, after all, "Speculation City."

I speculate Pico's debut was about as devastating to his MMA career as Mark Hall's NCAA debut.

Not comparing losses, speculating on career after loss. This is, after all, "Speculation City."

speculating, but not comparing eh even though you do a directly compare the two in your initial post?

Anyways. I "speculate" that this loss has had a direct impact on Pico's next fight, his position in rankings that actually matter, his overall payout potentional, his overall marketability as a fighter, and his position on the card. I speculate this loss has a pretty negative impact on his career.

On another note, I "speculate" Mark Hall's first loss in Carver Arena was just a blemish on his record. Actually may have been a good thing as it may have served as a learning experience, while have ZERO impact on his position in rankings, or seedings at both B1G's and NCAA's.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

The highlight from all of this will be when Pico gets ready for his next flight, and FloWrestling starts covering it again. (Which I have no problem with) The board will then have 30 pages on "why is this kid still relevant"

Edited by gopher_fan_90

The highlight from all of this will be when Pico gets ready for his next flight, and FloWrestling starts covering it again. (Which I have no problem with) The board will then have 30 pages on "why is this kid still relevant"

They will give him someone he can't lose to in his next go round. The next guy won't be ranked 10th in Kansas-Missouri, he'll be ranked 10th in Gnome, Alaska. 

Agreed, how many 20 year olds get the opportunity to lose consciousness in a ppv fight at MSG?

SjT4BTp.gif

every wrestling fan who hyped his leaving wrestling gave wrestling a black eye

people dont think anything more of wrestlers when the wonder kid gets beat on the mat like this by some nobody

Pico's handlers made a huge mistake by putting him on the fast track with no doubt.  The hype on him in wrestling was to much and the MMA hype was completely crazy.  Anyone that bought has very little knowledge of the sport.  The ones ding the hyping are looking for payback of their investment.  JMO