gowrestle

Pico To College?

Too late for this kid. Definitely had the athletic skills to leave an incredible legacy but likely his academic capacity wasn't up to acceptable standards.

In ten years from now it will be interesting to see where he is. I wish him the best.

How do you know he couldn't hack it academically?

Your totally out of line, and obviously you don't wish him the best. 

I knew lots of good wrestlers in HS who just wanted their school days to end so they could go and start living like adults (partying, mostly).  A few of them were all too happy to never step on the mat again either, as well. They only wrestled because their dads wanted them to.

Pico would still have 4 years eligibility, right? He never enrolled at a college. And I think that kids have until the age of 25 to use up their eligibility, unless on religious grounds (like the BYU missionaries).

I think his sponsors negate his eligibility. Not sure if he could compete without a scholarship or not. But regardless there is no reason to think he is gonna make some change of policy because he took a loss. In fact the whole point of this topic is to imply he is some sort of failure.

Edited by hammerlockthree

The "not smart enough" thing is a strange and insulting assumption when you have former D1 football and basketball players who say they could barely read when got were offered athletic scholarships and admission to their colleges. Pico left high school to focus on training to become a full-time professional athlete, and got his GED on the side. But its not like he opted skipped going to college because it wasn't a viable option.

The "not smart enough" thing is a strange and insulting assumption when you have former D1 football and basketball players who say they could barely read when got were offered athletic scholarships and admission to their colleges. Pico left high school to focus on training to become a full-time professional athlete, and got his GED on the side. But its not like he opted skipped going to college because it wasn't a viable option.

Let's hope Eddie Bravo and his flat earth and fake moon landing theories don't rot his brain.

Too late for this kid. Definitely had the athletic skills to leave an incredible legacy but likely his academic capacity wasn't up to acceptable standards.

In ten years from now it will be interesting to see where he is. I wish him the best.

I believe I've read Pico has held a 4.0 all through high school and his online classes. Do you know otherwise, or are you just making bs up to slander a kid? Weak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew lots of good wrestlers in HS who just wanted their school days to end so they could go and start living like adults (partying, mostly).  A few of them were all too happy to never step on the mat again either, as well. They only wrestled because their dads wanted them to.

Pico would still have 4 years eligibility, right? He never enrolled at a college. And I think that kids have until the age of 25 to use up their eligibility, unless on religious grounds (like the BYU missionaries).

I think you should switch wrestlers with high school students. Its not uncommon for high schoolers to act/think this way.

This is out of line to make this type od assumption on someones academic abilities. Poor taste dude.

I believe I've read Pico has held a 4.0 all through high school and his online classes. Do you know otherwise, or are you just making bs up to slander a kid? Weak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that said... getting a 4.0 these days especially with how homeschooling, online schools, and IEPs are done is not a difficult thing to do at all. Heck get a vocal and intimidating parent to yell at the teacher/principal grade will absolutely go up.

All these Pico posts implying he has already failed make me sick. He is not even of drinking age and has a long career ahead of him. He took a loss to a guy with a now 9-2 record in his first fight ever. So what?? Nobody has ever gone undefeated in MMA. Has anyone of note even kept it to one loss? Pico is going to do just fine.

That's a good point! I had a classmate that got a full ride to a D1 school to play football. He'd scored a 7 on the ACT exam. SEVEN. The minimal req. for regular students at the school was a humble 17, but they got him in : D

For the record, he ended up being a 3 year starter at Tight End, and only caught 1 pass :D

That's a good point! I had a classmate that got a full ride to a D1 school to play football. He'd scored a 7 on the ACT exam. SEVEN. The minimal req. for regular students at the school was a humble 17, but they got him in : D

For the record, he ended up being a 3 year starter at Tight End, and only caught 1 pass :D

It would seem to me they must have been a running team with him as a blocking TE. 

This is a low-life post.

Man, why do some folks within the wrestling community feel so entitled to an athlete's life and life decisions? I am not his biggest fan, but the young man has had a very structured life, which has enabled him to make the decisions he feels are in his best interest for what he wants to do as a career. Now he's being absolutely torn down because he lost one fight? I mean, if he was kicked out of high school and resorted to selling/using crack and pimping hookers, this might make more sense, but he works his @$$ off to remain a world class athlete who just happened to be hit right on the button and then submitted by a very worthy opponent. What am I missing, OP?

Actually, I think what we see are a lot are posters that love rubbing things into the face of other posters. The named competitor isn't really the person the instigator is hoping to insult or rile up. It is the posters that went overboard that the instigator is targeting, often in a trollish way. And it isn't necessarily toward posters that went overboard. It is to posters in general just to be a dick.

Edited by nom

This is to be expected.  I don't know why, but in the wrestling community it is common to tear down those who do not do as one wishes they had done.   Another young wrestler who bypassed the conventional path to his Olympic dreams is Henry Cejudo.    From what I understand, he's very successful in business (real estate) and recently got his college degree (I read that on a message board, I haven't actually confirmed it) and has even reached a world title fight in MMA.    He was constantly sh!t on for no education, nothign to fall back on, etc.   Pico will get the same, despite having his college already paid for by his promotional agreement.   He said he has narrowed the choices down to USC and UCLA.   So either way he wasn't planning on wrestling in college, as 99.9% of college students don't.    He seems to have a great head on his shoulders and really determined to always be outstanding in whatever he chooses to do.    As wrestlers, he's one we will be able to be proud of (despite choosing MMA over wrestling).  

Don't let the topic of this thread upset anyone.   It's a slow time of year and an obvious troll post.    This is a great place to point out other wrestlers who took unconventional paths to their dreams.