hammerlockthree

Zane will win worlds

That'll be awesome if Zain can run the table but 65kg is usually very deep in talent. Land mines everywhere.

Looking forward to seeing who's in this bracket at World's. Heard Ramonov was injured so maybe we finally see Bekbulatov represent Russia at the World Championships.

Anyway, as always, should be a fun and loaded bracket. Hammer - hope your prediction comes true.   :D

Well I would certainly like to see the Zain Train win it all. I would also like to know how and who he is training with, is he going head to head with Franklin Gomez and others, Novachkov? Will we will see him wrestling in an event in July? If so, does Zain knocks off a few tough customers? Let's say that he is training with Gomez, and maybe others that Cael is bringing in for him, and he does go to a Tournament in July that has some big names in it and he pounds them, all of which is great, but I still think he will need a decent draw and a little luck, come Paris.

As far as being gifted the spot, I think that is a little over the top. Remember JO won on a correct throw call, which might not have even been made by another, (if not most referees). Also there is this whole question about JO's Positive test. I don't know what he tested positive for or why, and if it was an innocent mistake, I feel sorry or JO. However, if it wasn't a mistake and was purposeful, then perhaps JO was the one to "gift" Zain the spot.

Mr. blind squirrel, he was gifted a spot on the team when JO got bounced.  He'll be extremely luck to medal.  No chance he'll win.

First of all, I am glad there is someone on this forum cool enough to crap on someone for making a bold prediction. 

I think he is gonna be a multiple world champ. He improves constantly, his style is air tight, and its gonna translate. 

According to Flo some of the studs have cleared out of this weight (and 57 as well). 

How about Novachkov, Gomez, Habat, and Zain all in the same bracket? Pretty cool.  I think Team USA should consider throwing a little support to Samoa, Guam, and the Virgin Islands.  Pack the bracket with Yanks???

Zain's got a puncher's chance at a medal no doubt in my mind.

World championships the year after an Olympics is always a little thinned out.

Zain is brand new on the senior international scene.

Not saying he's going to win it, but this is a combination that has produced pleasant surprises for the US in the past.

World championships the year after an Olympics is always a little thinned out.

Zain is brand new on the senior international scene.

Not saying he's going to win it, but this is a combination that has produced pleasant surprises for the US in the past.

A Jake Herbert one hit wonder silver medal?

Mr. blind squirrel, he was gifted a spot on the team when JO got bounced.  He'll be extremely luck to medal.  No chance he'll win.

Or perhaps JO benefited from the extra help he was getting, I've never bought the whole "it happened by accident" excuse given by athletes. Even if it might be possibly true, it is the job of the athlete, trainer, and agent to know exactly what is going in your body.

That being said, I agree that Zain will not medal. I don't think his style will translate well to the international guys, I see Zain having a similar career as Metcalf.

wow...Zain represents Penn state. From penn state a long time there were no champions! I hope he will win first match! 

this guy waits for him! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GkX9SnCv9Q

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Obviously hes not going to win the title but given the right draw and coming out on the right side of a few close matches he could medal.

2 things: dont give too much credit to beating Molinaro (who he sees in the room daily and basically only has a High-C he suprises opponents with once a match. )

And rememebr he has 2 domestic.losses in the last few months to JO and Molinaro, neither of which id give favorable odds to medal.

Of course Id love to have another gold brought to the states but realistically......

And dont jump on people who highlight how unlikely your "bold prediction" is. When you offer up anything as a thread youre asking for dialouge and its what you got.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I see your side, but you have to admit if it hits ( he wins) there was no skill/analysis done on your part and the skill level/depth at this weight makes it a real crap-shoot (id be impressed if anyone picked the champ ahead of time and actually stuck $$$$ on it) . I'll give you kudos for "boldly" picking it but I wont be amazed in any sense.... dont be surprised if a "I really enjoyed the Retherford world champion Era" thread.. pops up after round 1.

Are you familiar with the other guys who traditionally do well at the weight? Chamizo, Asgarov, Gomez, Ramonov, Novachkov etc?. I dont know who of that list are competing at worlds. Im just curious of your knowledge of international opposition.

I know Asgarov had some doping issues so im sure he's out, but the rest should be in play. And tough... so so tough

Edited by spladle08

I won't, but I am basing my pick on something and its his style. They guy controls matches unbelievably, he is never in any positions he doesn't control, and it negates his lack of experience. Thats what I am betting on.

Don't mind you making the prediction, but I think you're just wrong here.  What have you seen that makes you think Zain has an "air-tight" style?  IMO his main strength are his pace, he fights important positions hard, and he has heavy hands.  Problem is I think he can be scored on in a number of ways, and unfamiliar styles might cause him problems.  Not to put too much stock into an exhibition, but his BTS match showed a lot of openings.  

The most encouraging thing is that he seems to be making rapid adjustments form folk -> free.  Who knows, maybe he stays on a steep trajectory and shocks us at World's.  Doesn't seem likely though. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie