Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Cael vs Sadulaev

They were to be at MSG that year. Somewhere else picked them up (Bulgaria? Don't feel like looking it up) and we switched into 2003.

yep Bulgaria. Not a great showing for USA, only 2 medals including Cael's replacement Eggum with the best result, a silver. 

They were to be at MSG that year. Somewhere else picked them up (Bulgaria? Don't feel like looking it up) and we switched into 2003.

The 2001 Worlds for FS was scheduled for late September at MSG.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/58122-5-things-you-didn-t-know-about-the-2001-world-championships#.WVUgRKfD_fs

Karl didn't compete in the rescheduled event held later in Bulgaria. He let the terrorists win. Sad!

Edited by Chingadiculous

He didn't wrestle because 2001 Worlds because he was in the middle of something that had never been done in college SPORTS history, doing so in a manner that brought a ton of positive media and attention to the sport of wrestling. And at the end of the quad won a gold medal to the USA.

I would say that goes directly absolutely against what the terrorists ideology is for the United States.

So how did he let them win exactly?

(I know your remark was sarcasm but I still had to bring it up)....

Magemedov beat Eggum like 3-0 or 3-1. Cael would have won it. Don't see why he could not have wrestled. Not many guys have every won worlds while in college. Under the new rules Cael would have made the 2000 Olympic team as a freshman. Gutches beat him 6-5 with Cael running a takedown clinic but Gutches hit a huge throw.

Cael I think could have challenged Bruce Baum medal record. Because his body is still going strong as an older guy. He wrestles well even now. Just ask Taylor in their two minute goes. He says they are pretty even. But we will never know. Same argument with Gable. Both will probably be 1, 2 best coaches of all time. It appears to have been worth it to retire early. Now careers aside we are talking about a one time match. I think Cael would do a charity match and wrestle Kyle right now. PPV:-) Watching Kyle wrestle an older Gatsalov-their only opponent other than Varner they have both wrestled-I gotta go with Cael.

Magemedov beat Eggum like 3-0 or 3-1. Cael would have won it. Don't see why he could not have wrestled. Not many guys have every won worlds while in college. Under the new rules Cael would have made the 2000 Olympic team as a freshman. Gutches beat him 6-5 with Cael running a takedown clinic but Gutches hit a huge throw.

Gutches didn't even make the 2000 US team. 

Gutches didn't even make the 2000 US team. 

True but a bye to the finals when Cael was a freshman would have been big. Gutches had an injury to his lower back-he would have beat Burton. Cael was just snake bit with making teams from 00-02 

True but a bye to the finals when Cael was a freshman would have been big. Gutches had an injury to his lower back-he would have beat Burton. Cael was just snake bit with making teams from 00-02 

yeah but Gutches didn't beat Cael in finals of US Open so no guarantee that even if he got by Gutches in that match he would have won and gotten the bye. He also lost to Fullhart and Van Arsdale that year IIRC.   

Cael I think could have challenged Bruce Baum medal record. Because his body is still going strong as an older guy. He wrestles well even now. Just ask Taylor in their two minute goes. He says they are pretty even. But we will never know. Same argument with Gable. Both will probably be 1, 2 best coaches of all time. It appears to have been worth it to retire early. Now careers aside we are talking about a one time match. I think Cael would do a charity match and wrestle Kyle right now. PPV:-) Watching Kyle wrestle an older Gatsalov-their only opponent other than Varner they have both wrestled-I gotta go with Cael.

His body probably holds up as well as it has because he didn't continue competing.

Boconnell,

I don't know if you were referring to me as the poster who declared Carl the clear winner, but if so I am curious as to where exactly I stated that? You must have misunderstood the message and made an innacurate inference. All I said was I don't think you can use the early accolades to compare the two. Then a listed one element of Cael's wrestling. I never declared anyone the winner, nor did I even reference a winner in any way shape or form. I wouldn't and won't as they are both great and I don't get into hypotheticals.

As for the accolades it was 5,2,1. If you want to split hairs with the idea of being in his "prime" his 5th place finish was 7 years out without a competitive match prior to the qualifier. Now I did say I think he would have owned the weight that entire time in the US and would have got more medals, but I think Snyder will do the same.

As for in their prime it was a 2,1 for Cael (by a point for silver) and a 1,1 for Snyder. That is a micro difference in accolades for the sake of comparisons to make any prediction either way.

I am of the opinion that Cael would have had more golds. I am also of the opinion Snyder will win more golds. I do not have an opinion on who was a better wrestler in their prime.

Cael made the world team in 2001. However, after 9/11 the date for the world championship got moved to where it potentially interfered with Sanderson's senior year. Since, at the time he was on a path to finish with an undefeated career (officially), he chose not to compete to focus on his final season. Thus giving up his spot on the team that he earned by winning the 2001 world team trials. Then in 2002 the US did not send their team due to safety concerns.

Cael made the world team in 2001. However, after 9/11 the date for the world championship got moved to where it potentially interfered with Sanderson's senior year. Since, at the time he was on a path to finish with an undefeated career (officially), he chose not to compete to focus on his final season. Thus giving up his spot on the team that he earned by winning the 2001 world team trials. Then in 2002 the US did not send their team due to safety concerns.

He could have given it a go but chose not to. No big deal winning worlds, it's folkstyle season!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sadulaev over Sanderson 8/10. Sanderson was never considered lb for lb in international styles. There is little debate about Sadulaev being lb for lb at 86.

Snyder over Sanderson.....  Snyder is bigger. Sanderson couldn't carry the extra weight. Practice room matches with Varner don't count..... I remember the days when on these forums Gable could beat anybody in the room but couldn't beat an 18 year old Lee Kemp in a real match. 

Sadulaev over Sanderson 8/10. Sanderson was never considered lb for lb in international styles. There is little debate about Sadulaev being lb for lb at 86.

Snyder over Sanderson.....  Snyder is bigger. Sanderson couldn't carry the extra weight. Practice room matches with Varner don't count..... I remember the days when on these forums Gable could beat anybody in the room but couldn't beat an 18 year old Lee Kemp in a real match. 

I think a lot of that Gable talk is hogwash. No way I'm believing a little guy like Gable was bullying dudes like the Banach's around in that room. A great little guy: is still a little guy.

I think a lot of that Gable talk is hogwash. No way I'm believing a little guy like Gable was bullying dudes like the Banach's around in that room. A great little guy: is still a little guy.

But but but Robin Reed would have swept all weights at the olympics in his day....

I don't doubt that Gable may have taken it to some guys in short 30 second or minute goes but yeah he wasn't pounding out people like the legend states he did.

Edited by tec87

But but but Robin Reed would have swept all weights at the olympics in his day....

Never heard of the guy, looked him up on Wikipedia. Straight up badass. Doesn't say much for the 170 pounders of the day that they were losing to a 140 pounder, though :D