Angry_Fish

Suriano Staying but not All Happy

I have not heard good things about Sandy Barbour. I bring this up because it makes me wonder if this has anything to do with this issue:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/as_deadline_passes_contract_ne.html

If Penn State/Barbour aren't going to restructure his contract and give him incentives after all he has done then I am sure somewhere else would. She better get with the program as this wouldn't be the first time she has had issues. 

I have not heard good things about Sandy Barbour. I bring this up because it makes me wonder if this has anything to do with this issue:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/as_deadline_passes_contract_ne.html

If Penn State/Barbour aren't going to restructure his contract and give him incentives after all he has done then I am sure somewhere else would. She better get with the program as this wouldn't be the first time she has had issues.

Is Cael and staff allowed to recruit after tonight since not extended? That would suck. I can't believe this isn't signed sealed and delivered yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Cael and staff allowed to recruit after tonight since not extended? That would suck. I can't believe this isn't signed sealed and delivered yet

I really don't know but I would think he wouldn't be able to recruit since he would not be an employee as he would have no contract and the previous contract had expired. 

One would think, like you wrote, this would have been done long ago. I'm telling you guys, I have heard very bad things about that woman from multiple sources in multiple programs at PSU so I would not be surprised if this became a bigger issue. 

I really don't know but I would think he wouldn't be able to recruit since he would not be an employee as he would have no contract and the previous contract had expired.

One would think, like you wrote, this would have been done long ago. I'm telling you guys, I have heard very bad things about that woman from multiple sources in multiple programs at PSU so I would not be surprised if this became a bigger issue.

You also know every other coach will be using this against the recruits. "Cael may not even be there this year no less 5 yrs from now"

By not getting this signed by today can only hurt no matter how likely he is to get this done

The first message boards were hosted by AOL if memory serves. I recall seeing them in the late 90s. Wrestling forums were around but back then it was less about how many forums there were and it was more about the fact few people used the internet. That was the dial up era and the charges were f'ing massive. Very few used the internet until around 2002-2005 when dial up was replaced. Back when it began we had to connect through a would be fax machine sounding connection. 

The first message boards were hosted by AOL if memory serves. I recall seeing them in the late 90s. Wrestling forums were around but back then it was less about how many forums there were and it was more about the fact few people used the internet. That was the dial up era and the charges were f'ing massive. Very few used the internet until around 2002-2005 when dial up was replaced. Back when it began we had to connect through a would be fax machine sounding connection.

Sounds about right. So let's say 2002-2005 people are using the internet much more. How many then we're even thinking about or looking for wrestling message boards? Can't be many

I'll admit I didn't even know they existed since I wasn't really looking for them before Molinaro went to PSU and I wanted to follow a local kid I watched all thru high school. He happened to go to PSU and I became a fan.

Only college wrestling I saw before that was the NCAA finals every year. Then because of the new age, I found Flo and Big10, etc and I got hooked and watch as much as I can get.

Moral of the story. A lot of Iowa fans and Okie State fans like to poke fun at the "new" PSU fans. But let's be honest. How much Iowa wrestling were these people watching back in the glory days if you weren't living in Iowa and getting a local broadcast?

Now if I wanted to be a ASU fan because my favorite wrestler goes there, I can see every match. That wasn't the case back then

The reason I brought up the IPhone is because I'm sure there's a lot of people like me that go to the boards from their phones. I don't like having a computer in front of me. So that 2002-2005 may really be 2007+

Edited by pish6969

There was a really popular wrestling forum back then and it pisses me off that I can't remember it..... damnit....

Come on guys, someone help me out here. What was the forum in the late 90s that we all used? It wasn't the original Mat but was called something else. ****..... 

On a sidenote and back on the Sanderson issue. Barbour is a Berkeley woman who had little to no experience with athletics and less with managing them but was brought in after the football issue to try to make the issue look better. Long story short she has a long history of some seriously... unfathomably shady baloney. If I was a Penn State fan I would be looking into that issue closely because I am shocked it is ignored given that reputation. 

Edited by cm_111

The persecution complex is strong on these forums. Every top program has these fans. Some of the people complaining about the PSU persecution complex will develop their own if their team goes on a championship run. I've seen it happen already. Some of the people going after Tbar for being an annoying, sensitive homer acted the same way they say he acts a few years ago.

The most vocal fans of the winning team become, kind of,board leaders in a way due to bragging rights. They are at the center of most topics and have the most inside information on the current championship team.

I've been around here through a few of these regime changes. I would say the most pleasant "ruling class" was from Oklahoma State, followed by PSU and then Iowa. The bigger the fan base, the bigger the number of constantly on edge, persecution complex having fans. To these people, everything is an insult or slight. It's taken as axiomatic that "outsiders" are always on the attack due to jealousy. It's just the nature of the message board beast I guess.

Back when Iowa was winning, there were about 20 (yes, that many!) of these types of fans posting regularly. I hear that most have moved over to the Hawkeye website for now. If they start winning again, expect that number to be higher. Right now, we have a few from PSU running the boards, and that number is likely to go up at a quick rate the way Cael is bringing in national titles. I only wonder if the PSU fans are going to go off and "lick their wounds" the way Iowa fans did after the glory was ripped from them, or are they going to stay under Iowa, or whoever else's fans rule the board when their run comes to an end. We shall see.

I would agree with almost all of this.  I think there were far more bad Iowa fans than there currently are bad PSU fans.  That might be a numbers thing since Iowa has the biggest wrestling fan base.  I think OSU probably had fewer just because they have fewer fans total than those schools.  OSU in general is a smaller fan base outside of wrestling.  And most of the OSU wrestling fans are older.  I drove up for a dual last year and it was an extremely old crowd.  Lots of long time geriatric fans.  If OSU had a younger and bigger fan base they'd be just as bad when they win.  

The bottom line is people are poor winners and poor losers.  So when their team loses they resent the winners, and when their team wins they think they're inherently better than the losers.  So that adds up to lots of PSU hate these days.  But if you're a PSU fan you should be grateful for it.  Nobody hates an also ran, so the amount of hate is a testament to your dynasty.  

I have no way of knowing since I never even read a wrestling msg. board, this one or any other one, until a few years ago. I had no idea they even existed.

What I do know is that when I started reading them PSU was already winning and loads of fans were obviously unhappy about this development and taking their frustrations out on Cael Sanderson, PSU wrestlers and fans. There has never been any middle ground or cease fire, lol, since.

Gosh I was just thinking about the length of time that I have been posting/reading posts. Seen lots come and go. I mean a whole bushel and a pec. 

I recall when I first read some wrestling posts here. All kind of folks were on the boards. Like now ? Well, it was different back then. B 4 the turn of the century. A few years, in fact, prior to the turn.

And then low and behold some wrestling folks came forward to give the 'thing' a shake up and a new name. Themat.com said let there be light. And there was light. I actually do not recall

names from that era. Convenient memory ? But it was wild.

Don't think that many of us are still around from prior 2000.  There surely were not that many posters at that time either. Not like now

Well message boards have been around for quite some time. Back in the 90's I think most of the posting was on Usenet though, through newsgroups.

The Star-Ledger (NJ.com) started a forum called "Winter Sports" in Nov. 2005 & was overrun by the wrestling community, so much so that they started a forum specifically for wrestling.  This started at the same time when Damion Hahn was a freshman @ Lakewood HS.  I was the moderator until 2001 when they changed formats.

I would agree with almost all of this.  I think there were far more bad Iowa fans than there currently are bad PSU fans.  That might be a numbers thing since Iowa has the biggest wrestling fan base.  I think OSU probably had fewer just because they have fewer fans total than those schools.  OSU in general is a smaller fan base outside of wrestling.  And most of the OSU wrestling fans are older.  I drove up for a dual last year and it was an extremely old crowd.  Lots of long time geriatric fans.  If OSU had a younger and bigger fan base they'd be just as bad when they win.  

The bottom line is people are poor winners and poor losers.  So when their team loses they resent the winners, and when their team wins they think they're inherently better than the losers.  So that adds up to lots of PSU hate these days.  But if you're a PSU fan you should be grateful for it.  Nobody hates an also ran, so the amount of hate is a testament to your dynasty.

I wanted to mention that the reason that Oklahoma State probably had fewer "problematic" fans was due to their fan base being so old, but I didn't want to mention that just based on my potentially flawed personal impression. Now that you brought it up, I must agree with it. Okie State needs more young blood. They have a disproportionate amount of gray haired men in the seats.

I have no way of knowing since I never even read a wrestling msg. board, this one or any other one, until a few years ago. I had no idea they even existed.

What I do know is that when I started reading them PSU was already winning and loads of fans were obviously unhappy about this development and taking their frustrations out on Cael Sanderson, PSU wrestlers and fans. There has never been any middle ground or cease fire, lol, since.

Playing right into the "PSU fans are bandwagoners" rhetoric with this post...

I wanted to mention that the reason that Oklahoma State probably had fewer "problematic" fans was due to their fan base being so old, but I didn't want to mention that just based on my potentially flawed personal impression. Now that you brought it up, I must agree with it. Okie State needs more young blood. They have a disproportionate amount of gray haired men in the seats.

I wouldn't make too much of it. A lot of those gray haired men in the seats in Stillwater are former All Americans :D

Playing right into the "PSU fans are bandwagoners" rhetoric with this post...

Nobody really believes we from the state of PA actually just began following wrestling in 2010, but a lot of folks like to say that on the internet. Your post plays into that stereotype.

Nobody really believes we from the state of PA actually just began following wrestling in 2010, but a lot of folks like to say that on the internet. Your post plays into that stereotype.

I believe most, if not all,Penn St fans were underground, ridden with guilt for having supposedly the best high school wrestling,but could not field a team of any substance. Now that someone from the great wrestling state of Utah took over many fans have slithered out of their holes and don't know how to act.

not sure. I know themat has been around since the early 2000's. I've been here since early 05. I posted on local Michigan high school boards in high school in 02 after my coach told us to stay off message boards. Hahaha.

I've been in here since 2003. Before that I used to go on wrestlingreport.com which was more PA centric.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk