Sign in to follow this  
T-nigs23

This should be good (MMA thread)

I was listening to the podcast of MMA journalist Areil Helwani with Bellator president Scott Coker and there was a very interesting nugget of info that was thrown out there. Apparently Bellator is considering having an event at PSU that would showcase the fights of Ed Ruth and Phil Davis. The kicker is they are also interested in having Penn State public enemy #1 Aaron Pico on the card. The obvious reason being for that is because of Picos wrestling roots. Scott Coker believes they can capitalize on the support of the wrestling fan base. Of course Mr. Coker doesn't know about the disdain PSU fans have toward Aaron.

I just wanted to get the opinions of the PSU faithful on this board about the proposed event and the thoughts of the wrestling public in general.

The very brief discussion is around the 28:30 mark

Isn't Pico buddies with DT and the NLWC guys? I thought the whole Zain thing was manufactured here..

I'm not aware of any animosity between Pico and Zain or his teammates but there certainly is some coming from the diehards on this board. I'm just trying to get a sense of how Aaron would be received by the more moderate Penn State fans if such an event would occur.

Why is this on the international board?

Because the other boards might as well not even exist except for the college one.

I was listening to the podcast of MMA journalist Areil Helwani with Bellator president Scott Coker and there was a very interesting nugget of info that was thrown out there. Apparently Bellator is considering having an event at PSU that would showcase the fights of Ed Ruth and Phil Davis. The kicker is they are also interested in having Penn State public enemy #1 Aaron Pico on the card. The obvious reason being for that is because of Picos wrestling roots. Scott Coker believes they can capitalize on the support of the wrestling fan base. Of course Mr. Coker doesn't know about the disdain PSU fans have toward Aaron.

I just wanted to get the opinions of the PSU faithful on this board about the proposed event and the thoughts of the wrestling public in general.

The first I heard about this plan was probably a month or more ago on one of the PSU boards, so it has been out there for a while. I think the event could potentially do pretty well, but some groups on a college campus would probably protest it.

As for Pico, nobody has ani mosity towards him, especially not Zain. Not even the fans here, despite how certain threads play out. He said he'd beat Zain again, some fans defended Zain. Pretty straightforward sports banter if you ask me. 

Isn't Pico buddies with DT and the NLWC guys? I thought the whole Zain thing was manufactured here..

Correct

I'd hope PSU wouldn't whore themselves out to MMA by allowing their facilities to be used. MMA is sleazy.

a1a.jpg

The first I heard about this plan was probably a month or more ago on one of the PSU boards, so it has been out there for a while. I think the event could potentially do pretty well, but some groups on a college campus would probably protest it.

As for Pico, nobody has ani mosity towards him, especially not Zain. Not even the fans here, despite how certain threads play out. He said he'd beat Zain again, some fans defended Zain. Pretty straightforward sports banter if you ask me. 

Why? I find this unlikely. 

But yes, the event would do very well and if it happened, I'd be there. 

Correct

a1a.jpg

Why? I find this unlikely. 

But yes, the event would do very well and if it happened, I'd be there. 

You don't think there are snowflake groups at PSU that would protest an MMA fight being held on campus?  I think every college campus has these groups nowadays. 

tnigs said:  " The kicker is they are also interested in having Penn State public enemy #1 Aaron Pico on the card. "

this is something a person with an orange face would call 'fake news'.

Pico is barely on the PSU radar.  And if they think about him at all, they would wish him well in his MMA career because he is a wrestler.

Off hand, I don't know a public enemy #1 for Penn State.  Probably Sandusky.

You don't think there are snowflake groups at PSU that would protest an MMA fight being held on campus?  I think every college campus has these groups nowadays. 

If this was 2000 and people still referred to MMA as "cage fighting" or "human cockfighting," then I'd agree. But it's pretty commonly accepted in today's world outside of the 60+ demographic who thinks ground fighting is without honor and real mean "stand and fight."

Edited by PSUMike

My problem with the statement is the bolded, underlined and red sentence. What does wrestling receive in return? I have no problems with MMA, or wrestlers making the move to that sport, but it often feels to me that MMA thinks college wrestling should be grateful to MMA, as if our sport is some sort of minor league and/or couldn't exist without MMA.

MMA continues to exploit wrestling and wrestling gets nothing out of it.

I sure hope Penn State stays far away from this.

THIS SHOULD NOT BE ON HERE. MODS SHOULD DELETE THIS THREAD. IT SHOULD BE ON THE MMA FORUM. HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT PENN STATE AND COLLEGE WRESTLING SO EVEN COLLEGE WRESTLING HAS A CLAIM BUT GET THIS NONSENSE OFF THE INTERNATIONAL BOARD WHERE PEOPLE ACTUALLY HAVE OLYMPIC ASPIRATIONS.

I would make the drive to see Pico vs Zain wrestle. Yeah yeah - I know. Pico dominates.

MMA - meh. Besides it's too long a drive for a 20 second fight.

And Pico isn't PSUs #1 enemy- that would be freshman compositions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I like MMA. I'm not some sort of snowflake over here. That doesn't change the fact that MMA is scummy and ran by sleazebags. Look at Dana White. The others are just the same but less successful.

I'd rather keep something as corrupt as MMA far away from college wrestling. No need to track mud into our living room, gentlemen.

yes, it absolutely was manufactured here by the folks sitting in the basement with no wrestling to watch in the off season.  pathetic.

Why is this on the international board?  

because the mods are worthless on this forum.

I'd hope PSU wouldn't whore themselves out to MMA by allowing their facilities to be used. MMA is sleazy.

this is moronic.  if anything PSU (the university, not necessarily the wrestling program) should be thanking their lucky stars that an organization as big as bellator chose to highlight their campus and their facilities.

this is moronic.  if anything PSU (the university, not necessarily the wrestling program) should be thanking their lucky stars that an organization as big as bellator chose to highlight their campus and their facilities.

Yep. Lots of $ to be made. 

The owner of any large venue (in this case a state university)  needs events to make money. There are very few customers who could sell out a facility the size of Bryce Jordan Ctr. that they turn away. It is money and money talks. 

The owner of any large venue (in this case a state university)  needs events to make money. There are very few customers who could sell out a facility the size of Bryce Jordan Ctr. that they turn away. It is money and money talks.

Its the main reason why the BJC or any large arena for that matter exists

Anyone that cares about the future of college wrestling is foolish not to embrace MMA. 

What's your rationale for that statement?

Also, what about people who care about freestyle/Olympic wrestling?