Sign in to follow this  
T-nigs23

This should be good (MMA thread)

Anyone that cares about the future of college wrestling is foolish not to embrace MMA. 

Agreed.

Is that the business of college athletics now? To make money for outside fight promoters?

And Penn State wouldn't benefit from that at the same time? Please. 

What's your rationale for that statement?

Also, what about people who care about freestyle/Olympic wrestling? 

Because MMA's popularity in America shining light on the sport. MMA fans recognize that wrestling is the strongest base. I think with more popularity will come more youth enrollment/participation. 

Because MMA's popularity in America shining light on the sport. MMA fans recognize that wrestling is the strongest base. I think with more popularity will come more youth enrollment/participation. 

I have noticed the exact opposite.  I see more wrestlers getting into BJJ.

Have not seen any indication to make me think that wrestling is benefiting from sending athletes into MMA.

Is that the business of college athletics now? To make money for outside fight promoters?

making money IS the business of college athletics.  That's the reason why we have lost so many wrestling programs at the D1 level, that's the reason football and basketball have ballooned into the behemoths they are today, that's why a stadium like this is built.  Sure, its partially there to house the basketball teams and large collegiate events (wrestling being one), but its also there to be a profit center for the university.  You think they spent $50 million+ for giggles?

Also, just in case you're unaware, there have been multiple concerts held in this arena, along with political movement events as well as WWE events.  This is HARDLY the first time its been used by an outside party.

Also, what about people who care about freestyle/Olympic wrestling? 

Its no secret that wrestling has been proven as a solid base for immediate success in mixed martial arts.  Thankfully, most commentators recognize this and give credit during fights of past wrestlers.  Add on the likes of chael sonnen and others who very publicly and frequently tout the importance of a wrestling base and shed light on the community, and you can't deny the value that MMA brings to the wrestling community.

WITH THAT SAID:

Unfortunately it doesn't do much for the olympic styles of wrestling, IMO.  My hope is that with the above mentioned points, this drives participation in youth and collegiate level wrestling and by the law of large numbers, we see participation go up in the olympic styles as well with people catching the "bug" or getting as passionate as it takes to move on to the highest level of competition.

Additionally, with RTC's kicking in a nickel as well as foundations like the Living the Dream Medal fund and the added sponsorship opportunities that have been afforded in the last 10 years, the money is becoming slightly more attractive to stay in wrestling.  We can always do more though.

Edited by Witherman

I have noticed the exact opposite.  I see more wrestlers getting into BJJ.

Have not seen any indication to make me think that wrestling is benefiting from sending athletes into MMA.

You're shortening the timeline too far.  You're looking at where are collegiate wrestlers going after they are finished with their five years, or even during collegiate eligibility.

Unfortunately it would be nearly impossible to qualify the benefit in additional participation from a youth wrestling perspective, as I doubt most coaches are asking their kids "how did you get interested in wrestling" and then reporting the data when they hear "i heard about it from the UFC commentators:"

My points in my last post are purely speculation, but I don't think they are outlandish.

If you don't already know why, I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you other than to say that we're down to 76 total Division 1 programs.  Everything that boosts college wrestling's profile is a good thing, lest we be the generation that turns out the lights on the sport for good.    

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

If you don't already know why, I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you other than to say that we're down to 76 total Division 1 programs.  Everything that boosts college wrestling's profile is a good thing, lest we be the generation that turns out the lights on the sport for good.    

College administrators would rather see Olympic success than MMA success.  But that is of course, still secondary to success in business, research, and political office which they value significantly more.

It sounds like you're simply hopeful that maybe mentioning wrestling in an MMA broadcast will lead to a ground swell.  But I don't see it happening.

I see kids getting involved with wrestling because they enjoy it and because they want to wrestle.  They don't get involved with wrestling because they want to do MMA. How many college wrestlers actually started wrestling in high school?  I do know there are some, but it is a very small percentage.  Kids get started in elementary and middle schools.  They aren't making long term plans about their future MMA careers and making a roadmap on how to get there.  They are looking at doing what they enjoy doing at the moment.  The kids that wrestle do it because they enjoy wrestling.

People who want to get into MMA seem to join BBJ gyms or increasingly MMA gyms which often have someone with experience in a multitude of disciplines.  You don't see people specializing in wrestling.

Even look at Pico, he hasn't had a focus on wrestling.  He has spent a lot of time boxing and doing a lot of other cross training.  In the end, we lost a wrestler.  Do people watch Pico's first fight and think about wrestling or do they think they need to focus more on boxing and BJJ?

Everything I see about MMA and hear from people who are involved with it is about how you need to focus on all disciplines.  I actually think it will  likely lead to less people actually wrestling.  Wrestling as we know it anyways.  Sure, maybe more people will take a wrestling 101 class than otherwise would have before...

Edited by Pinnum

unscrupulous scumbags like the people running MMA. 

i'd love to hear your thoughts on who these unscrupulous scumbags are.  not saying mixed martial arts is pure by any means, but please share your obvious wealth of knowledge with us peons? 

I  I'd prefer to keep college wrestling "pure", 

because when I think of Russian doping, cuban's taking payoffs and AD's like Trev Alberts (UNO) and president Bob Kustra, I absolutelu think "pure"

How many D1 programs have been saved or resurrected thanks to MMA money/influence/fan interest since it really began taking off about 10 years ago?

i'd love to hear your thoughts on who these unscrupulous scumbags are.  not saying mixed martial arts is pure by any means, but please share your obvious wealth of knowledge with us peons? 

because when I think of Russian doping, cuban's taking payoffs and AD's like Trev Alberts (UNO) and president Bob Kustra, I absolutelu think "pure"

I didn't realize the Russians were doping American college wrestling..or that Cubans were taking payoffs on behalf of college wrestlers.

My bad.

I didn't realize the Russians were doping American college wrestling..or that Cubans were taking payoffs on behalf of college wrestlers.

My bad.

are we talking specific to american collegiate wrestling?  or the influence to wrestling as a whole?  let me remind you we are in the INTERNATIONAL wrestling subsection of this forum.

I was mostly joking around when I said public enemy number #1. While I never believed there was any "beef" between Aaron and the members of the NLWC it seems as there was some animosity from some on the board and that's what the (lame) joke was getting at.

I posted this thread on this board because the other boards receive little to no views. I don't understand why some are reacting the way they are. If you don't want to read or discuss this topic then don't. That's why I put MMA thread in the title so those that aren't into MMA will know to avoid it.

I don't think the way to "SAVE WRESTLING" is by selling out to unscrupulous scumbags like the people running MMA. I'd prefer to keep college wrestling "pure", as it were, of entanglements with professional entities.

It's not about selling to those in charge of MMA promotions its about selling wrestling to the true MMA fan base and make them realize that wrestling is one of the best bases for MMA and in turn help our sport get the respect from those fans.

For example there were about four guys who joined my high school team for the sole purpose of adding wrestling to their MMA game. One of those kids ended up being a top 10 ranked kid in the state.

Edited by T-nigs23

how many D1 programs have been saved or resurrected PERIOD?

Reinstated?  I can think of Fresno State, Arizona State, Bucknell, Binghamton, Sacred Heart, Brown, Cleveland State, American, Princeton off the top of my head...

How many have been put on stable footing by their supporters?  I can think of a lot!  If I didn't think that were the case, I wouldn't be sending checks to support programs.