MadMardigain

Top un-committed recruits: Which head coaches visited what wrestler over the first few days of recruiting?

Between twitter and instagram followers I'm sure there have been sighting of some head coaches on the recruiting trail personally visiting some of the top uncommitted recruits in the first few days of contact. Who are the top schools making a play for?

Parris, Sasso, Silvia, Hidlay, Carr, B. Lee, Brooks, Rider, Hardy, Glory, Gissendanner, Woods, Teske, Lewan,...

Edited by MadMardigain

i've only seen Indiana & VT for Parris posted on twitter so far.  oh and a funny game of "where in the world is ryan morningstar" (carmen sandiego play)

wish more kids would post those pictures, makes for some fun discussion and speculation for the fans!

Guest Kingsland

i've only seen Indiana & VT for Parris posted on twitter so far. oh and a funny game of "where in the world is ryan morningstar" (carmen sandiego play)

wish more kids would post those pictures, makes for some fun discussion and speculation for the fans!

Michigan visited Parris as well.

I have a hard time seeing Parris going the wrestling route if he's getting those kinds of football offers. Illinois is a tremendous offer. And remember, all D1 football scholarships are full rides.

Illinois football stinks. Good school though.

I have a hard time seeing Parris going the wrestling route if he's getting those kinds of football offers. Illinois is a tremendous offer. And remember, all D1 football scholarships are full rides.

Maybe. Depends what he enjoys more. Also depends how realistic making the NFL is.

Meaning - if he has a legitimate shot at making the NFL, he should absolutely go that route.

Otherwise, it probably makes sense to pick what he enjoys most.

He also won't have the struggle of making weight, so some of the D1 wrestling grind that understandably turns prospects off from the sports doesn't apply here.

He has serious athleticism(sorry Askren) and I hope to see him on the mat. Will be fun to watch his progress.

Meaning - if he has a legitimate shot at making the NFL, he should absolutely go that route.

He has serious athleticism(sorry Askren) and I hope to see him on the mat. Will be fun to watch his progress.

NFL? He's plenty athletic for college wrestling but if he had a realistic shot at the NFL today, he'd have a long list of offers from much bigger football programs already. He's a talented young man but not NFL material right now. Edited by wrestlingnerd

pretty sure not only does paris have football offers, but very attractive ones at that.

I'm just having a hard time believing he will choose wrestling.  I mean hell, all you have to do is make a PRACTICE SQUAD in the NFL and you'll make more money than you ever could in wrestling.

Any D1 football offer--and there are four listed--is a good offer.  Cinci new head coach is Luke Fickell.  Fickell was the standout hs heavy of his senior season.  He knows how to talk to wrestlers.

The one thing I see working against him pitching wrestlers is that UC dropped wrestling in the mid 1980's, so a potential recruit couldn't switch to wrestling if that was the way the wind was blowing without changing schools.   I think a wrestler in his position would be better served attending a school that offers both football and wrestling as to have more options if they get lost in the depth chart or see the writing on the wall.  At the same time there is no doubt Fickell can use his success with recruiting wrestlers to play football at tOSU to his advantage.  He should try to add Nick Mangold or Alex Stepanovich to his staff when he retires from the NFL. 

In a small world, a shout out for long time NCAA official, Bob Triano, who was the head coach at UC at the time of the cut. Triano was the HS head coach of Columbus St Francis DeSales for a decade before taking the UC job; also Fickell's alma mater; and he coached the first four-time OHSAA state champion Mark Zimmer for the stallions.  

Perhaps Luke could encourage UC to add wrestling back to make the school a more attractive option for a potential Big Twelve or ACC conference affiliation.  Considering no AAC members sponsor wrestling it probably doesnt happen but the school is located in a strong HS state and travel wouldnt be as much of an issues as other DI schools since they are in the college wrestling belt.  

A final odds and ends, the wrestling Buckeyes could have used Dexter Larrimore and Garrett Goebels, considered two of the top heavyweights in the country who chose football over wrestling when they struggled to find a potential All-American candidate during their tenure at tOSU. 

Edited by KSchlosser

NFL? He's plenty athletic for college wrestling but if he had a realistic shot at the NFL today, he'd have a long list of offers from much bigger football programs already. He's a talented young man but not NFL material right now.

90-man rosters for training camp.  It's not as hard as one would think to get a whiff in the NFL.  Plenty of guys come through smaller programs. 

Honestly, if you had the choice between D-1 football and receiving all the perks that go with that versus D-1 wrestling and all the perks that go with that...  at least 90% of people would absolutely choose football.   

Edited by matts1w