Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Texas HS Wrestling

University of Texas won't do it.  They have no motivation and they are very concerned about brand.  They won't get into anything they can't win, and they can't win in wrestling.  They could get every recruit the state of Texas produces and probably not crack the top 20 in a good year.  The numbers are there but the high end talent isn't.    Forget all-americans, I doubt there are 10 D1 starters from Texas out there right now.  And the only neighboring state with talent is Oklahoma and they aren't stealing from there.  

I honestly doubt any D1 in Texas ever has wrestling, but I wouldn't be shocked if a D2 like West Texas A & M near Amarillo did it.

University of Texas won't do it. They have no motivation and they are very concerned about brand. They won't get into anything they can't win, and they can't win in wrestling. They could get every recruit the state of Texas produces and probably not crack the top 20 in a good year. The numbers are there but the high end talent isn't. Forget all-americans, I doubt there are 10 D1 starters from Texas out there right now. And the only neighboring state with talent is Oklahoma and they aren't stealing from there.

I honestly doubt any D1 in Texas ever has wrestling, but I wouldn't be shocked if a D2 like West Texas A & M near Amarillo did it.

I would think wrestling for Texas would be very appealing to someone from Oklahoma (or a lot of other states really)

University of Texas won't do it.  They have no motivation and they are very concerned about brand.  They won't get into anything they can't win, and they can't win in wrestling.  They could get every recruit the state of Texas produces and probably not crack the top 20 in a good year.  The numbers are there but the high end talent isn't.    Forget all-americans, I doubt there are 10 D1 starters from Texas out there right now.  And the only neighboring state with talent is Oklahoma and they aren't stealing from there.  

would Bo Nickal and Jack Mueller have been enough to crack top 20 this past season?

and every college, even mighty Penn St, has to recruit some out of state talent to contend. 

would Bo Nickal and Jack Mueller have been enough to crack top 20 this past season?

and every college, even mighty Penn St, has to recruit some out of state talent to contend. 

Those two combined for 38 points last year which would have been good for 15th overall.

Texas is an interesting case because they used to be (and could be again) a contender for the Director's Cup which accounts for performance in every NCAA sport.  Stanford, who led in the standings released after nationals, earned 50 points for finishing 24th.  The champions earned 100.  Even a 57th place finish earns 15 points.  If Texas decided they wanted to make a run at the Director's Cup again, a wrestling team would be a reasonable option.  I won't hold my breath, but it's more logical than many of the schools we wish for.  

Below are the Texas Wrestlers who competed in the NCAA Championships in St Louis

Big Ten Championship

Allen’s Bo Nickal (184) (SO) of Penn State Nittany Lions takes a 3rd place finish.

Atlantic Conference Championship

TCA’S Jack Mueller (125) (FR) of Virginia Cavaliers takes 3rd at the ACC championships,

Highland Park’s Nick Reenan (174) (FR) takes 4th for North Carolina State Wolfpack

Southern Conference Championship

San Antonio Judson’s Aaron Walker (157) (RS SR) of The Citadel takes 3rd

Arlington HS’s Quentin Perez (165) (SO) of Campbell takes 1st. helps give Coach Kolat and Campbell their first SCC Championship

I think it's wishful thinking that UT would even entertain the idea of a Division I wrestling program for a few important reasons.

1. Cost - who is footing the bill for this program to begin? Is there a wealthy wildcatter looking to fund this program? I think pinnum has said that it would cost roughly $15 million in donations to make a D1 program happen today.
  2. Interest/Competitiveness - is the state of Texas jonesing for a D1 college wrestling options? Where do most of their kids go now; what levels? As another poster pointed out, is the state's high school wrestling strong enough to be even mildly competitive or would their roster need to be a majority of out of state kids?
  3. Distance - the University of Oklahoma, the closest D1 program to them, is 408 miles away. That's a long haul and only two D1 programs in the country are within 700 miles (driving) of UT. It would make more sense to add D1 programs in Kentucky, Georgia or Kansas, all of which have proximity to other D1 programs.

I just don't see more than a handful of NEW D1 wrestling programs being added in the next 25 years.

Below are the Texas Wrestlers who competed in the NCAA Championships in St Louis

Big Ten Championship

Allen’s Bo Nickal (184) (SO) of Penn State Nittany Lions takes a 3rd place finish.

Atlantic Conference Championship

TCA’S Jack Mueller (125) (FR) of Virginia Cavaliers takes 3rd at the ACC championships,

Highland Park’s Nick Reenan (174) (FR) takes 4th for North Carolina State Wolfpack

Southern Conference Championship

San Antonio Judson’s Aaron Walker (157) (RS SR) of The Citadel takes 3rd

Arlington HS’s Quentin Perez (165) (SO) of Campbell takes 1st. helps give Coach Kolat and Campbell their first SCC Championship

Did Reenan wrestle in Texas after his freshman year? My math may be way off, but I thought he went to Sem after that.

It would be great to see D1 wrestling at UT one day because Texas athletics money is no joke and the Longhorns could quickly ramp up their program and be a contender if they were ever willing to dive right into it. I will keep on dreaming.

Anyway, one thing about the high school numbers in that Flo article is that it doesn't really give a good sense of relative participation. Like of course CA has the highest participation numbers because they're the most populous state. Conversely, numbers in other states may be down simply because the overall population went down over the last ten years, or because net participation in high school athletics have declined. It would be nice to see what wrestling participation is compared with total high school sports participation and the total number of high schoolers in the state. SD for example is on the low end of the graph but (just a guess) maybe a higher % of high schoolers in SD wrestle than in CA?

The other thing that's crazy is that the state of MS had just 25 wrestlers in 2016?? Wow! And a decade ago, AR and DC had zero wrestlers and now they are building much healthier participation numbers.

these must be public school #s only. DC private schools like St Albans have had wrestling for years. obviously great to get the public schools involved as well

pamela you bring up some good points, would like to see how wrestling shakes out in comparison. 

You will need to file suit alleging discrimination or some such. Their lack of a University D1 level program in a State with all the High School programs is a big message to the kids that they are not worth the effort or cost.

I think it's wishful thinking that UT would even entertain the idea of a Division I wrestling program for a few important reasons.

1. Cost - who is footing the bill for this program to begin? Is there a wealthy wildcatter looking to fund this program? I think pinnum has said that it would cost roughly $15 million in donations to make a D1 program happen today.
  2. Interest/Competitiveness - is the state of Texas jonesing for a D1 college wrestling options? Where do most of their kids go now; what levels? As another poster pointed out, is the state's high school wrestling strong enough to be even mildly competitive or would their roster need to be a majority of out of state kids?
  3. Distance - the University of Oklahoma, the closest D1 program to them, is 408 miles away. That's a long haul and only two D1 programs in the country are within 700 miles (driving) of UT. It would make more sense to add D1 programs in Kentucky, Georgia or Kansas, all of which have proximity to other D1 programs.

I just don't see more than a handful of NEW D1 wrestling programs being added in the next 25 years.

Even Utah has a program now. Gotta be pretty pathetic if you can't at least match those jokers.

Agreed on UT not starting a wrestling program. They do have an intramural team from what I understand (as does TAMU and other schools), but that's a very far cry from even D3 wrestling, let alone D1.

I'd love to see UT create a program and promote HS wrestling in Texas, but don't see it happening. The Longhorns athletic department is making more money than any other D1 school so why change it around? Plus, it doesn't help that both the Oklahoma D1 wrestling schools would doubtlessly eviscerate UT on the mat, and happily so, and likely for decades to come. Not much motivation....the yokels in Oklahoma heehawing every time they kick the crap out of you.

What I don't think a lot of people outside "OU/TEXAS" understand is this: there are probably more people that hate UT in Texas than root for them. That's why OU does so well recruiting down there, and frequently out-recruits Texas in their own state in football. I bet even if UT had a wrestling program that OU would still get more Texas talent :D

Edited by TobusRex

Would SMU be a better option to start a college program??

yeah and let's get some big money boosters involved...oh wait...maybe not...

seriously I'd be happy to see any D1 school in Texas do it. Not to mention any D1s in Florida, Georgia, etc.   

Oliver Pierce was who I was thinking of

Pierce and Nickal went to the same HS, Allen in NE Dallas.  Pierce was the first real star there.  I saw him as a freshman and he was so good in every position.  Nickal by comparison got beat in the Texas state finals as a freshman 125 lb.  He was in love with big moves and lost to a senior from Amarillo who rode him hard and didn't let his big moves work.  At that point I would have bet Pierce had the style for college wrestling, but Nickal is probably already the greatest college wrestler ever from Texas.  

but Nickal is probably already the greatest college wrestler ever from Texas.  

Bob Johnson (Oklahoma State) was a two-time champion, I think once Bo wins his second, he can lay claim to that title. 

BTW, Ophir Bernstein of Brown was the first college AA from Allen HS. 

Bob Johnson (Oklahoma State) was a two-time champion, I think once Bo wins his second, he can lay claim to that title. 

BTW, Ophir Bernstein of Brown was the first college AA from Allen HS. 

I knew Johnson won, but didn't know he won 2.  Thanks for the info.

He was, but even though he was a few years ahead of Pierce, Pierce was a state champ first (as a frosh in 2010).  Pierce was the first big HS star for Allen HS.  I don't think Allen has lost a state title since then and most years they have won by a mile.

Edited by boconnell