Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Texas HS Wrestling

In a state with 1 wrestling program at the college level,  they need to focus on growth overall,  just because numbers are up doesn't mean they are up with D1 talent.   I look at states like Kansas who now have I believe 16 men's programs and 3 or 4 women's.  The coaches at the college level don't want to see more programs there and now are recruiting all over the place.  I think DI is possible in Texas now because of the new DI program that Mark Cody is heading up will have women's and men's out east...Texas has women's wrestling at the hs level, so I think it opens the door for a push. Otherwise I think  with the numbers of DII, NAIA and Jucos in the state there is a lot of opportunity for growth.  In all honesty I think junior college you win right away and you can build off that.  

Texas has 2 collegiate programs - Wayland Baptist (NAIA) and Richland College (Juco). I doubt we’ll see a program emerging anywhere from within the UT system. I think the best bet for a D1 program will be from one of the privates (SMU, Rice, TCU, U-Dallas, Baylor, etc) or a non-UT affiliated school in North TX, where the sport is more popular. UNT would be my guess (if it were to ever happen), here are a couple of reasons -

1. The Dallas area and panhandle typically dominate at the state level

2. Their proximity to OK for recruits

3. They have a club program now run by Andre Metzger

4. I believe it is the 4th largest school in TX, with almost 40k students

5. Tuition there and cost of living in Denton County are relatively lower

Again, the chances of this happening are slim, unfortunately. It doesn’t help that the town that UNT is located in - Denton - has zero high school wrestling in any of its schools (4 high schools with 2k+ students, and no wrestling... makes no sense)

Edited by fudge_tunnel

Probably won't surpass Nickal as the best to come out of Texas, but from e erythema I've read and gathered the super sophomore AJ Ferrari will probable end up right behind Nickal and definitely be in its conversation. It's always even more impressive when a young talent is an upper weight like Ferrari is as well, I think he's 182 if I'm not mistaken. Like back when Chris Phillips dominated the Ohio scene...I love following that sort of dominance versus the freshman or sophomore 106-125 pounders. This Ferrari kid is already ranked #4 overall in his class and will easily end up being a top 3-5 recruit for Class of 2020. Not that it means anything, but a ohiowrestling.net poster mentioned Tom Ryan is very active in communicating with this kid on Twitter, and the activity started only about a month or two ago. His teammate and friend Braeden Redlin has already committed to the Bucks, which obviously helps their cause if they are indeed targeting/recruiting him.

Isn't Brandon Slay the best wrestler to come out of Texas?

Didn't do an exact calculation, but it looked like the Oklahoma increase is a larger per capita increase. Of course, even though Oklahoma is possibly, traditionally, thought of more prominently than Iowa. The state of I has had maybe 2.5 times as many schools with the sport as O. And it seems like everyone in I is aware of the sport, compared with 2/3rds of O where it might as well be pro wrestling. 

We used to hear this same kind of stuff after Gary Kurelemeier and then Dan Gable put Iowa on the map in the Wrestling World. Some called for Gable to be banned because of his brutal workouts with his wrestlers. Then the 'he gets the best guys' argument would come up.

Face it, Gable was God and Cael is working on it.

Cael's already exceeded Gable in every regard but NCAA team titles.

Never said or implied that Cael has reached Gable status when it comes to coaching. He certainly is well on his way however...

Gable isn't just the greatest wrestling coach or all time, he may well be one of the greatest coaches of all time in ANY sport.

And I believe it's spelled Kurdelmeier.

Gable's biggest competition is probably John Wooden.

Gable's biggest competition is probably John Wooden.

Time has proven that Wooden has someone do the cheating for him. Also, the former UCLA coach would give a scholarship to a kid knowing he would never play for his team. He did that to keep him from playing for a rival team. Pretty crappy if you ask me. In my book, Gable is heads above that basketball guy.

I know little other than their records but I thought DIII Kenyon's swim teams were out of this world for their division

Men won 31 consecutive titles, 34 overall since 1980

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_III_Swimming_and_Diving_Championships

Women won 17 Consecutive titles, 23 overall since 1984

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Women%27s_Division_III_Swimming_and_Diving_Championships

Again on the DIII level but Larry Kehres at Mount Union has also been amazing in football and has some of the best coaching stats of anyone, anywhere, any sport

332-24-3 overall, 230-8-3 in conference, 77-12 in the playoffs, 11 national titles, 10, undefeated seasons, 23 conference titles in 27 years

They had win streaks of 55 and 56 games, won 100 conference games in a row, 260 All-Americans, now their AD and his son is HC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Kehres

Larry Kehres coaching tree:

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170821/mount-union-football-far-and-wide

Cael's already exceeded Gable in every regard but NCAA team titles.

Um. Dan Gable never lost Big Ten Championships- winning 21 straight titles. Cael already missed out on Big Ten Championships three times. Cael would have to coach into the age of 50s if he has any hope to surpass Dan Gable. In NCAAs, Dan Gable already won 9 titles in first 10 years of coaching. Cael only won 5 in first 10 years of coaching.

Um. Dan Gable never lost Big Ten Championships- winning 21 straight titles. Cael already missed out on Big Ten Championships three times. Cael would have to coach into the age of 50s if he has any hope to surpass Dan Gable. In NCAAs, Dan Gable already won 9 titles in first 10 years of coaching. Cael only won 5 in first 10 years of coaching.

Apples and oranges. Gable inherited a powerhouse team that had recently won the NCAA title. Cael inherited dog poop.

Cael inherited dog poop.

That is not accurate.

These were the four years before Cael took over Penn State. A coach doesn't get fired a year after a 3rd place finish at the NCAAs unless the standards are very high for the program. Penn State was a quality program with great wrestlers before Cael was hired.

2009 - 17th

2008 - 3rd

2007 - 11th

2006 - 9th

And the program he took over at Iowa State wasn't too bad either.

2006 - 13th

2005 - 10th

2004 - 6th

2003 - 19th

2002 - 2nd

Edited by Pinnum

That is not accurate.These were the four years before Cael took over Penn State. A coach doesn't get fired a year after a 3rd place finish at the NCAAs unless the standards are very high for the program. Penn State was a quality program with great wrestlers before Cael was hired.2009 - 17th2008 - 3rd2007 - 11th2006 - 9thAnd the program he took over at Iowa State wasn't too bad either.2006 - 13th2005 - 10th2004 - 6th2003 - 19th2002 - 2nd

Dog poop probably isn't the right term, but PSU by no means was considered a title threat by any means. In fact, the standard at PSU was considered a very successful season if they finished in the top 10. Even Iowa's current lowered standards of today is higher than that of PSU's pre Cael days.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Dog poop probably isn't the right term, but PSU by no means was considered a title threat by any means. In fact, the standard at PSU was considered a very successful season if they finished in the top 10. Even Iowa's current lowered standards of today is higher than that of PSU's pre Cael days.

Yupp

Iowa wasn’t a NCAA title contender or Big Ten contender until Gary K hired Dan Gable as his assistant. Iowa went straight to Big Ten and NCAA title contender. Iowa never won the NCAA title before them. Penn State already had one.

Meanwhile Iowa at the NCAAs before Dan Gable came in 1972.

1968-31st

1969-7th

1970-5th

1971-30th

And with Dan Gable and Gary K in

1972-12th

1973-7th

1974-5th

1975-1st

Dan Gable taking over as HC

1976-3rd

1977-1st

1978-1st

1979-1st

Big Ten titles before Dan Gable - four since 1913. After Dan Gable came in - 23 (2 as assistant and 21 as a head coach) in just 25 years.

Sure, Penn State was not a title contender until they hired Cael and he brought in his transfers and recruits to add to the talented athletes already in the program. But Penn State was an elite club.

When you take over a program that hands you Pataky, Molinaro, Valimont, Ruth, Wright, and Wade you have a great foundation and a team that can compete with any team in the country.

Sure, Penn State was not a title contender until they hired Cael and he brought in his transfers and recruits to add to the talented athletes already in the program. But Penn State was an elite club.

When you take over a program that hands you Pataky, Molinaro, Valimont, Ruth, Wright, and Wade you have a great foundation and a team that can compete with any team in the country.

I do not believe Penn State would have the Title with those guys without Sanderson coming in.

He did not decimate Iowa State when he left. Sour taste for him leaving but not like Brands to Iowa.

Cael came into a program in need of a boost. Good, yes. But not a world beater in any sense of the word. Definitely not a consistent top 5 program. Closer to Boise State than Oklahoma State. Boise State of a few years back maybe?

Cael brought in something like Dan Gable did. A winning attitude that worked for the program because his kids believe and were willing to work hard enough to achieve it.