Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Brands Wants To Have His Cake and Eat It Too

Apparently Brands did not grant a release to Logan Ryan who will have to sit out next season at UNI. Considering all the complaining over the years about the VA Tech guys and refusing to wrestle them at national duals, how could he in good conscious possibly hold back a release for a non starter to a lower tier team that he won't even schedule?? 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Source?

I am not surprised that Logan Ryan is transferring but him not getting a release does surprise me. Brands allowed him the opportunity to earn his way back on the team after the burglary incident with Seth Gross and then supported him after his weight issues as well. I would think he would allow a release unless there is something going on behind the scenes. If there isn't and Iowa doesn't have a set policy against granting releases to in-state transfers I am not a fan of this move at all.

copied my response from your other post in the Lugo thread:

pretty sure in-state D1 to D1 is the same as B1G to B1G where there is an automatic loss of a year.  Not 100% on this though and also not sure if this is just Iowa that does this.

In state has nothing to do with loss of a year in Pennsylvania. Not sure why this would apply in Iowa. What does the state as an entity have to do with anything like this anyhow? How would the state even be involved? 

The schools are members of their conference and the NCAA which I would think would govern these things. 

Edited by TBar1977

Lol at flying troll, not even good effort. The thoughts expressed on the non Lugo release to Iowa thread that you posted this on before making a special anti Iowa troll thread was that if there has been no coaching change then a release should not be given since school #1 has invested time into developing the wrestler. The Vtech situation involved a coaching change. Have no idea if the Logan Ryan thing is true or what the behind the scenes story is if it is true but it would not involve a coaching change. Maybe they feel like they were there for him during his legal issue and even though he is not starting they are counting on him as a key backup. Maybe UNI withheld a release to Iowa previously. There could be any number of details that factor into it we are not aware of. who knows maybe the Iowa AD promised Ryan a release to follow Brands to UNI and UNI is really keeping there new hire quiet.

In state has nothing to do with loss of a year in Pennsylvania. Not sure why this would apply in Iowa. What does the state as an entity have to do with anything like this anyhow? How would the state even be involved? 

The schools are members of their conference and the NCAA which I would think would govern these things. 

The Regents who run all three state institutions could implement a policy like this. No clue if they have though. 

Edit: Not sure how this would qualify as Brands wanting to have his cake and eat it too. Did he come out and say Flynn should have granted the release? For all you know he agrees with Lugo not getting released. You are grasping at straws.

Edited by wrestlingphish

The Regents who run all three state institutions could implement a policy like this. No clue if they have though. 

Edit: Not sure how this would qualify as Brands wanting to have his cake and eat it too. Did he come out and say Flynn should have granted the release? For all you know he agrees with Lugo not getting released. You are grasping at straws.

How am I grasping at straws when I don't really give a hoot and would actually prefer he needlessly waste a year in '17-'18? I hope like all they release him.

RELEASE HIM COACH FLYNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

That make you feel better? 

Transfers in D1 are usually not a surprise to coaches, mostly because athletes need to get permission to talk to other schools when they decide to transfer. While programs are able to withhold releases for competitive reasons, the seemingly petty stuff is usually due to academic obligations (or NLI terms) or because the kid simply went and talked to other schools without obtaining permission first.

Remember, coaches need to protect their APR and mitigate the hit of the transfer so of course they are going to deny transfer requests that go 0 for 2 in the APR calculation. And even if Brands or Flynn or whoever tried to deny an athlete's release just to hold a grudge, there's a healthy process in place to have the decision appealed and reversed on pretty short notice. As long as the athletes fulfills his or her obligations and follows the process, there really isn't very much a coach or program can do to block or slow down a transfer, esp in a sport like wrestling (as opposed to football or men's basketball, for instance). The athlete has the leverage.

Whether or not 'you give a hoot' had nothing to do with the fact that you are grasping at straws.

And for someone who doesn't give a hoot you sure do like to post on the topic.

How am I grasping at straws? I stated that we have no such rule in PA and that I doubted such a rule exists in Iowa. Now I could be wrong on that, but you have not shown proof that I am wrong now, have you? 

Just re-read the thread. Looks like I lumped you and FT into one poster (common mistake since you both consistently peddle the same BS). Apologies. Doesn't change the fact that you sure do post about stuff you claim to not care about a lot. It is almost as if you DO care.

Just re-read the thread. Looks like I lumped you and FT into one poster (common mistake since you both consistently peddle the same BS). Apologies. Doesn't change the fact that you sure do post about stuff you claim to not care about a lot. It is almost as if you DO care.

Actually, it looks like he mixed up which of his handles you were addressing.  :)

I don't have a horse in the race (meaning whether I care) regarding whether Lugo gets the release or not but I prefer he actually get it because I think Brands could somehow blow a year of his eligibility if given half the chance, but I do care about the subject matter. 

If it's true that Tom Brands is withholding a release from Logan Ryan, that is also crappy.

But as someone on here already said, Brands hasn't even commented on Lugo, so how is he trying to have his cake and eat it, too?

Edited by VakAttack

When has Brands ever "blown" a year of eligibility of one his wrestlers?

Some Iowa fans claimed Burak, I wouldn't know. But since so many Iowa fans here get all riled up at the drop of a dime, I am always hopeful there is a first time for everything. 

Source?

I am not surprised that Logan Ryan is transferring but him not getting a release does surprise me. Brands allowed him the opportunity to earn his way back on the team after the burglary incident with Seth Gross and then supported him after his weight issues as well. I would think he would allow a release unless there is something going on behind the scenes. If there isn't and Iowa doesn't have a set policy against granting releases to in-state transfers I am not a fan of this move at all.

There is no formal policy in place by the state of Iowa or the University, these kind of decisions are left to the individual coaches… Ryan's off the mat issues didn't stop Brands from immediately starting him in the Gimmick at Kinnick so lets not pretend that has anything to with holding back a release. 

Iowa is realing in big recruits right now and the Penn State boys wanna talk about Logan Ryan. Figures

Lugo was 1-2 at nationals last year. Iowa missed out on Sasso, Parris and Schultz and you're pounding your chest about big recruits, lol.  

If it's true that Tom Brands is withholding a release from Logan Ryan, that is also crappy.

But as someone on here already said, Brands hasn't even commented on Lugo, so how is he trying to have his cake and eat it, too?

Mr. Obtuse chimes in. As stated in the op, this was about Va Tech, not Lugo, and how Brands refused to wrestle them because he couldn't get releases. That's why I started a new thread. At least we can agree that yes, it is crappy.

When the tinfoil hat fits...

Stupid is as stupid does

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Man, you're just going full troll now.  Whatever floats your boat, hombre.

it seems as though about 40-50% of the PSU fanbase is now dedicated trolls and shills for the program.  It really is unfortunate because there used to be great threads on here with very insightful conversation.  Now its just throwing **** and stirring the pot with anyone and everyone that doesn't root for PSU.

it seems as though about 40-50% of the PSU fanbase is now dedicated trolls and shills for the program.  It really is unfortunate because there used to be great threads on here with very insightful conversation.  Now its just throwing **** and stirring the pot with anyone and everyone that doesn't root for PSU.

50% of anything PSU related brings out comments like yours and Vak's. 50% take veiled shots at some aspect of the program. Just what do you expect?