Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Brands Wants To Have His Cake and Eat It Too

Skylar St John is transferring to ISU to follow his brother with a full release and will be immediately eligible so that puts to bed the in-state transfer rule that someone mentioned may have been an issue with Logan Ryan. Has there been any official confirmation that Logan is transferring and has not been released? I haven't seen anything except on this message board.

Skylar St John is transferring to ISU to follow his brother with a full release and will be immediately eligible so that puts to bed the in-state transfer rule that someone mentioned may have been an issue with Logan Ryan. Has there been any official confirmation that Logan is transferring and has not been released? I haven't seen anything except on this message board.

If it is happening with Logan Ryan, it is probably related to Brands long-rumored beef with Schwab, which....man, I hate that.  It's a bad look.  Again, assuming it's true that Ryan is being denied a release.

Glad to hear it. Tommy probably read this thread and figured he better give him a release to avoid more negative publicity. Happy to help the St. John family. Hopefully there will be a change of heart and young Mr. Ryan will get one also.  

Flying-Tiger really doesn't care one bit about Logan Ryan. He was just searching for something negative to say about the University of Iowa and its wrestling program. He couldnt stand the positive vibes right now in Iowa City so he tried to drag them through some mud that didn't stick.

I wasn't searching for anything, the information was put out there and I honestly felt that was a bit hypocritical based on what happened at the national dual series last season and the criticism I was seeing directed at Flynn by some Iowa fans. Did I have some fun with it, sure, its the off season, why not. 

As for the positive vibes in Iowa, well hope runs eternal whenever a program signs a new recruit however am I really being disingenuous when I say I would rather see Lugo, Cassioppi and Meja to Iowa instead of Sasso, Bravo-Young and Parris (or Schultz). 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I wasn't searching for anything, the information was put out there and I honestly felt that was a bit hypocritical based on what happened at the national dual series last season and the criticism I was seeing directed at Flynn by some Iowa fans. Did I have some fun with it, sure, its the off season, why not. 

As for the positive vibes in Iowa, well hope runs eternal whenever a program signs a new recruit however am I really being disingenuous when I say I would rather see Lugo, Cassioppi and Meja to Iowa instead of Sasso, Bravo-Young and Parris (or Schultz). 

I'd rather Iowa land Lugo, Cassioppi and Mejia. No offense to any of them as they are all good wrestlers. 

Apparently Brands did not grant a release to Logan Ryan who will have to sit out next season at UNI. Considering all the complaining over the years about the VA Tech guys and refusing to wrestle them at national duals, how could he in good conscious possibly hold back a release for a non starter to a lower tier team that he won't even schedule?? 

If that's the case...then it's pretty damned douchey. Seems like most the guys in this thread feel otherwise.

As far as I'm concerned a coach should ALWAYS grant a release free of encumbrances if he can do so. It should all be about the wrestlers. On the other hand maybe the coach's hands are tied by school policy, or NCAA.

Edited by TobusRex

Guess it's time to bump this thread. Now Rathburn is looking to transfer and is being blocked by Brands. I just don't get this, why stop guys that are backups and headed out of conference? Then throw in the well documented long term grudge with Va Tech over releases that helped get national duals cancelled and I'm left shaking my head. 

To answer everyone's questions, I was not released to any D1 schools in the state of Iowa.

Edited by Flying-Tiger