Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

A look at ISU for the near future

This was posted in the Tyler Graff topic, however, I think he deserves his own thread and so does this:

I was starting to be a bit critical with ISU not recruiting like I was expecting.  However, I looked closer at who they have and they do have a lot of very young talent.  They definitely need to land a 165, but the rest could turn out to be pretty good.  We obviously need to see what the new staff can do to properly motivate and keep this team in line, but the following guys have shown they have the talent to be solid DI wrestlers.

125: Markus Simmons-He showed flashes of some real talent.  However, the entire team was a hot mess last season.  I think this kid can be really good. Plus, having Parker and Storr right above him can't hurt.  Austin Gomez definitely improves the depth and can push Simmons.

133: Ian Parker-Finished 17-8 wrestling strong competition as a RS and also wrestled well in quite a few Freestyle competitions.

141: Kanen Storr-This kid is a beast. Wrestled in nearly everything he could, finishing 25-5 as a RS.  He also did very well in many Freestyle competitions. Also, having Metcalf to roll around with can't hurt.

149: Ryan Leisure- Losing Verkleeren definitely hurt.  However, Leisure is a 4x Finalist and 3x State Champ from Iowa.  Not exactly chopped liver.  He is another guy that should benefit from Metcalf and possibly St. John.

157: Colton DiBlasi-Another really young guy that showed promise, but fell victim to the hot mess of ISU last season.  He is yet another guy that should benefit greatly from Metcalf and/or St. John.

165: Definitely a need weight.  Pestano was a .500 wrestler.

174: Marcus Coleman-A very solid recruit. Another 3X Iowa State Champ.  He also had some very strong Fargo results.

184: Joel Shapiro-If he can make the weight, this is best for both him and ISU.  197 is pretty solid right now with some strong young talent.

197: Colbray/Harrington-  These 2 had all the talent in the world coming into ISU.  Let's see if the new staff can get them past the "hot mess" theme of last season.

285: Gannon Gremmel- Redshirted last season.  Was the #60 overall recruit.

Got Gomez coming in as solid "good get nice pick up". (I always cringe when I see that line posted -- it's used often in our little digital club -- like fingers on old chalk board for some reason for me)...

I'm hoping Brody Teske will be "good get nice pick up"

:-)

Impressive. They will continuing recruiting well.

I expect an immediate major improvement (top 25 at NCAAs) followed by a top 20 finish. The question is, can they get to the top 10 and eventually top 5 with both UNI and Iowa recruiting in state as well.

Can Metcalf help get Michigan guys? Can Dresser pull from the VA area? Is Dresser's resume appealing to high schoolers nationally?

Excited for their future

Impressive. They will continuing recruiting well.I expect an immediate major improvement (top 25 at NCAAs) followed by a top 20 finish. The question is, can they get to the top 10 and eventually top 5 with both UNI and Iowa recruiting in state as well.

They had the talent in the lineup for a top 10 or 15 finish last year.  It was just horribly mismanaged and wasted.  The new staff only making the top 25 this season and top 20 the next would likely be a big disappointment in Ames.

I expect an immediate major improvement (top 25 at NCAAs) followed by a top 20 finish. The question is, can they get to the top 10 and eventually top 5 with both UNI and Iowa recruiting in state as well.

Can Metcalf help get Michigan guys? Can Dresser pull from the VA area? Is Dresser's resume appealing to high schoolers nationally?

Excited for their future

Actually, KJ was doing a very good job getting Michigan recruits(Parker and Storr are the most recent). The question will be, can Metcalf maintain it or even possibly improve upon it?

Edited by MSU158

Here's my prediction:

I think you will see this year as a rebuilding, getting back to the core of ISU wrestling and history.  Get the donors interested again, get the students and the public interested again in the program.  The Iowa vs ISU dual this year will have a LOT to do with this in my opinion.  Dresser, who has proved himself as a pretty good "marketer" will have to get a lot of buzz and excitement around this dual.

If they can accomplish this, I think you will see a BIG recruiting push and class next year (top 3, IMO).  Get the young ones in the room seasoned a bit, let them shape the studs coming in two years.

I would love to see ISU back on the main stage of D1 wrestling.  I think its good for the state of Iowa and good for wrestling. After all, they do have 6 olympic gold medalists!

I doubt Simmons is still a 125 pounder.  Still, that lineup doesn't look half bad.  

Simmons will be starting at 133# and Gomez is tough but he's not pushing Simmons.  141# will be between Storr and Parker but so far Storr seems to be the starter at that weight and Parker will be the odd man out.  Dante' Rodriguez will man the 149# spot.

If he can't make 125 any more, he probably won't be wrestling.  I don't see Parker or Storr changing weights any time soon.

Simmons beats Parker and Storr in the room.  Simmons making the cut to 125# hurt him big time and he couldn't hold the weight.

Simmons will be starting at 133# and Gomez is tough but he's not pushing Simmons.  141# will be between Storr and Parker but so far Storr seems to be the starter at that weight and Parker will be the odd man out.  Dante' Rodriguez will man the 149# spot.

Parker just went 61 at University Nationals a month ago.  From everything I heard he is firmly at 133.   It will be a shame if Simmons can no longer pull to 125, because one of them will be sitting out. 

I am sure they will redshirt Leisure, but I definitely expect him to surpass Rodgriguez.

Simmons beats Parker and Storr in the room.  Simmons making the cut to 125# hurt him big time and he couldn't hold the weight.

I guess seeing is believing.  Have you actually witnessed Simmons beating Storr?  Because nothing Simmons has done puts him in the same zipcode as Storr.

Also, I definitely am high on Simmons.  He showed some talent.  But, I have a hard time seeing him beating Storr now.  Maybe at the beginning of the season.  That is quite normal for incoming freshmen.  However, Storr has really come on strong.

Edited by MSU158

Parker just went 61 at University Nationals a month ago.  From everything I heard he is firmly at 133.   It will be a shame if Simmons can no longer pull to 125, because one of them will be sitting out. 

I am sure they will redshirt Leisure, but I definitely expect him to surpass Rodgriguez.

Simmons should've never tried to make 125#, it wasn't the weight he was recruited for and the cut was too much considering how lean he is.

Simmons should've never tried to make 125#, it wasn't the weight he was recruited for and the cut was too much considering how lean he is.

If so, I understand.  I just hate to see either he or Parker sitting.  But, Gomez is pretty solid and could fill the weight well.  Also, Teske may be a strong possibilty from what the rumor mill is saying.

I guess seeing is believing.  Have you actually witnessed Simmons beating Storr?  Because nothing Simmons has done puts him in the same zipcode as Storr.

Also, I definitely am high on Simmons.  He showed some talent.  But, I have a hard time seeing him beating Storr now.  Maybe at the beginning of the season.  That is quite normal for incoming freshmen.  However, Storr has really come on strong.

I haven't witnessed Simmons beating Storr but I do have eyes and ears in the room.  I do agree with you, Storr's accomplishments exceeds Simmons but Simmons at his walk around weight is better than Storr in the practice room.  Could the results be different under the lights, absolutely but that's not the case in the practice room.

I can understand your skepticism but coming out of HS, Simmons (2015) was a higher recruit than Storr (2016) in what I believe was also a stronger class.  imo, Simmons is the reason Nathan Boston transferred out because he couldn't beat him.

Storr will be strong at 141# this upcoming season for sure.

Edited by meluvwrestling

Excited for their future

ISU has never had a problem pulling in Michigan guys and Metcalf should only add to that I expect to see some Davidson kids on the team within the next few years.

Is Storr 141 for sure next year?  Not going 149?

Yes, Storr is looking at 141.

ISU also getting some help at 165 with Skyler St. John. He pinned Breitenbach, who was the starter for Iowa State after Pestano couldn't hold 165 anymore

St. John to ISU -> https://iawrestle.com/2017/07/06/skyler-st-john-to-transfer-to-iowa-state/

Edited by hawktalk3

Excited for their future

fwiw Dresser had AAs during his last 2-3 seasons at Tech from Va, Pa, NJ, OH, and WV so he and/or his staff cast a decent sized net.

As far as pulling from Va, hate to say it being a Va guy, but there's not a lot of elite talent coming out of Va these days. Last year we had 8 Va products qualify for NCAAs, and only 2 of them were the types that ISU needs to move up the ranks (Dance and Epperly). So 1 or 2 kids a year, sure Dresser will still have some pull in Va but I really don't think that's where he's going to need to spend a lot of his efforts.  

125 - Vega

133 - Simmons & Parker

141 - Storr

149 - Dante, Straw, or a surprise

157 - Straw, DiBlasi

165 - St John or Breitenbach

174 - Swalla, Entzel, maybe Pestano, or if Pestano goes 184, maybe Coleman as a true frosh

184 - Pestano or Teague

197 - Colbray or Harrington

Hwt - Harrington or Gremmel

Don't see any reason to not redshirt Gomez.  Enough talent at 133 and 141.

Coleman is really the only one I see as a possible go as a true frosh