• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

Track did a solid interview with J'Den Cox talking about match 3 against Taylor, his recovery and mindset going forward. Definitely proud to have him representing the USA at Worlds.

Edited by Perry, 06 July 2017 - 12:25 PM.

• Alwayswrestling and pamela like this

#2 Peso

Peso
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

I'd say he did himself a solid.  How do you not love this man?  If I were a movie casting agent, I would be talking to him.  The thing that meant the most to me, was how he surrounded himself with people that just totally believe in him.  I give this a 10 out of 10.

• cjc007 likes this

#3 Peso

Peso
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Go getem man!  I am so freaking proud of how you have handled yourself on and off the mat!  We have gentlemen on this World Team that are among my favorite people I have ever followed in sports.  You spoke to my soul as a wrestler and as a coach, but mostly as a human being. Whoever told you to just be yourself, was a genius.   I wish you nothing but the best of luck now and in the future...US of freaking A!!!!!  Go boys, lite this place up!  I know you guys are going to shock a lot of people, but not me. 

#4 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:09 AM

Cox is an original. A bad-ass on the mat and a poet off the mat! 

One thing I feel bad about is that he feels attacked on forums. I feel there's been so much love for the guy on these boards and I wonder if he's seen it. And compared to some of the really nasty comments I've seen about others - Gilman, Metcalf, Ramos - he's done quite well. It's not a mystery why. He's incredibly likable, genuine and talented. 

#5 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,309 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

Cox doesn't get the love he deserves on the forums. American fans have a tendency to mostly appreciate winners who score score score score. It's ingrained into our mentality. We don't appreciate strategy and tactics, gamesmanship, as much. Cox has a lot of upside still, in my opinion. He got an Olympic medal on athleticism and instinct. If he ever goes all in on freestyle, he could be one of our all-time greats when he's done. My issue with him as a long-term prospect has always been his commitment level. He has all the physical and mental tools to be at the top for a long time.

#6 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:22 AM

My issue with him as a long-term prospect has always been his commitment level. 

Could you please elaborate on this statement.

#7 mlbruem

mlbruem

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:38 AM

Could be that his commitment level is just perfect and that is why his physical and mental tools have put him at the top.

Have fun J'den - Just have Fun

• headshuck likes this

#8 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,222 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:05 AM

There's plenty of love for him here. There's just a ton more PSU fans loving Taylor and critical of anyone in Taylor's way.
  • xander and cjc007 like this

#9 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:16 AM

There's plenty of love for him here. There's just a ton more PSU fans loving Taylor and critical of anyone in Taylor's way.

Big David Taylor fan here as he's my favorite wrestler...

With that said, anyone who is critical of J'Den Cox is an idiot. The dude is all class and while I was rooting for Taylor, I'm more than thrilled that Cox is currently the man.

• pamela and Peso like this

#10 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,222 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:20 AM

Big David Taylor fan here as he's my favorite wrestler...

With that said, anyone who is critical of J'Den Cox is an idiot. The dude is all class and while I was rooting for Taylor, I'm more than thrilled that Cox is currently the man.

I should clarify that I meant there is a larger pool of Taylor fans online and therefore more likely that there would be more critical comments bugging Cox.

#11 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:45 AM

I should clarify that I meant there is a larger pool of Taylor fans online and therefore more likely that there would be more critical comments bugging Cox.

100% agree

Its one thing to be rooting for your favorite teams/wrestlers... its another to allow that bias to be critical of quality opposition like Cox.

So I repeat, ANYONE who is critical of Cox, is an idiot in my opinion.

The guy is pure class and talent. I've never seen him once act like a poor sport, be whiny to the refs, or use dirty tactics in matches.

Hope he brings home a world title.

• Peso likes this

#12 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,309 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:52 AM

Could you please elaborate on this statement.

Maybe it came off differently than I intended. What I mean: I have not gone out of my way to call him the best freestyle prospect I've seen since JB himself because it was not clear to me whether he was going to commit himself to freestyle for the next several years. Honestly, it's still a bit unclear. He has a lot going for him beyond wrestling and I could see him pursuing a different path in life, leaving unrealized wrestling potential behind.

There are guys who are clearly wrestling "lifers", e.g. Dake, DT, probably Retherford, etc. Then there's Cox, who in my opinion has even more upside than any of them if he were to dedicate himself 100% for another Olympic cycle but as of a few months ago was still seriously considering football.

#13 NJDan

NJDan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:01 AM

As the returning bronze medalist, why is he not seeded?

#14 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:34 AM

Maybe it came off differently than I intended. What I mean: I have not gone out of my way to call him the best freestyle prospect I've seen since JB himself because it was not clear to me whether he was going to commit himself to freestyle for the next several years. Honestly, it's still a bit unclear. He has a lot going for him beyond wrestling and I could see him pursuing a different path in life, leaving unrealized wrestling potential behind.

There are guys who are clearly wrestling "lifers", e.g. Dake, DT, probably Retherford, etc. Then there's Cox, who in my opinion has even more upside than any of them if he were to dedicate himself 100% for another Olympic cycle but as of a few months ago was still seriously considering football.

I can see what you're saying. Cox is a talented, handsome, well spoken, and charming fellow. I could ABSOLUTELY see him being a sports analyst for ESPN or a multitude of industries.

#15 FATMANROLL

FATMANROLL

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:42 AM

As the returning bronze medalist, why is he not seeded?

Because other guys have better resumes

#16 XiXiTiger

XiXiTiger
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

Because other guys have better resumes

Cox is unseeded based on the seeding criteria, which includes placements in tournaments that Cox didn't attend.  Ultimately, that's all that matters.  

However, I would argue that Cox has a way better resume than three of four guys seeded ahead of him. Collectively he's 4-1 against the top 4 (lost on criteria to 1-seed Yasar at the Olympics) and finished higher in every tournament he attended with the 2, 3, and 4 seeds.  He has two wins over 2-seed Karimi (who won't be there) and beat both Ceballos and Baranowski handily at the Olympic qualifier in Mongolia. 

• NJDan likes this

#17 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:16 AM

I think you are making a very good point. Cox flirted with football, writes poetry and must and speaks about wrestling in a more laid back, almost philosophical tone. He said in the interview that it would have been a great experience even if the match had swung DT's way. This is unusual for a wrestler and at the very least creates the impression that he could simply move onto something else. Put differently, his motivation for wrestling (the why of it all) and his other interests conspire to make him seem like he might not stick around. 

That being said, this could also very well just be the way he comes off as opposed to being very useful in predicting how long he will stick around in the sport. 

#18 TobusRex

TobusRex

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

J'Den is multitalented.

• tbert, headache and 2td3nf like this

#19 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

100% agree

Its one thing to be rooting for your favorite teams/wrestlers... its another to allow that bias to be critical of quality opposition like Cox.
So I repeat, ANYONE who is critical of Cox, is an idiot in my opinion.

The guy is pure class and talent. I've never seen him once act like a poor sport, be whiny to the refs, or use dirty tactics in matches.
Hope he brings home a world title.

Im a huge fan of J'den but he did have that one breakdown against Wellington. I think he learned and is obviously past it, but it did happen.

I hope he continues wrestling. He's an incredible talent and one hell of a competitor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#20 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

That was a great guitar solo with beautiful lyrics. I'm turning into a huge J'den fan. :D

Hope his knee heals back up to 100% for the Worlds.
  • pamela likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

gutfirst