• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 HurricaneWrestling

HurricaneWrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:59 AM

Serious question here. If you had to choose one, would you rather watch your favorite wrestler, maybe your son or brother or you yourself even, win an NCAA finals match in a slow dull boring paced match? Or lose it in an exciting dramatic back and forth match with tons of action? I would be surprised to find anyone who would choose the latter over the former...

I think the answer depends on how close you are personally to the wrestler.  If its my son or brother in the NCAA finals, I'd prefer he win a boring match instead of lose an exciting one.  The same could be said of team fan affiliation and/or circumstances. For example, If the NCAA team championship comes down to the final match-up, I might want "my" guy to wrestle a controlled match - instead of opening up (assuming that's strategically the best move).

Of course. I'd prefer my guy or team win in exciting fashion - not least of all because that has more potential to attract new fans.  However, I don't think the answer to the question is as cut and dried as it may appear at first glance.  And, in responding, I was reminded of the biography of Gable's HS coach. (Siddens! Win with Humility, Lose with Dignity -- But Don't Lose! by Don Huff and Mike Chapman)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling, 24 July 2017 - 12:59 AM.

#62 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:10 AM

recall a Randy Lewis quote where he said he'd rather lose 14-13 than win 1-0 (or something along those lines). But also recall something from him about wrestling Dellagatta in '84 trials and wrestling conservatively.

#63 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,222 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

That's kinda in the territory of "I'd rather lose a fortune running my own business than spend a life toiling away at a job and never have the experience."

#64 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hey WillieBoy, cjc is the definition of scumbag when it comes to these forums who hides behind a holier than thou mask. I come on here to sign praise for one of our top wrestlers and he wants to act like a big shot to discredit my praise, yet claims to be a big fan of Cox. Hes just pissed i point out and expose his bogus judgemental way of thinking.

Cjc, Cox doesn't need you as a fan.
If my lack of knowing everything regarding Cox makes me a poser then so be it.
If that makes you a better fan than me so be it.
It still doesn't change the fact that as a person, you're trash.

So you lose an argument and resort to ad hominem attacks.

What an intelligent person!

Sit down and give yourself a handshake.

You should be proud of yourself!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • tbert and BigTenFanboy like this

#65 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

So you lose an argument and resort to ad hominem attacks.
What an intelligent person!
Sit down and give yourself a handshake.
You should be proud of yourself!

I am proud of myself. I come on here to praise Cox for the great job he's doing representing his team and his country. You on the other hand bring up an unnecessary point about him having a flair up. I totally acknowledged that I was initially unaware of his flair up. Are you saying that Cox is not a great person or a great rep for Team USA?

The ONLY argument here is the fact that you're judgemental trash, an argument that I've clearly won. The fact that your pea sized brain can't comprehend the separation between Cael Sanderson and his wrestlers and what that scumbag Jerry Sandusky did shows your true lack of intelligence. So yes, I will proudly give myself a handshake because I'm a better human being than you are.

#66 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

I am proud of myself. I come on here to praise Cox for the great job he's doing representing his team and his country. You on the other hand bring up an unnecessary point about him having a flair up. I totally acknowledged that I was initially unaware of his flair up. Are you saying that Cox is not a great person or a great rep for Team USA?

The ONLY argument here is the fact that you're judgemental trash, an argument that I've clearly won. The fact that your pea sized brain can't comprehend the separation between Cael Sanderson and his wrestlers and what that scumbag Jerry Sandusky did shows your true lack of intelligence. So yes, I will proudly give myself a handshake because I'm a better human being than you are.

You're so sophisticated!

Edited by cjc007, 25 July 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#67 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

You're so sophisticated!

Gosh golly... you REALLY got me the there!

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 25 July 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#68 Yellow_Medal

Yellow_Medal

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Well said Mr. Mirikitani!

#69 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

Well said Mr. Mirikitani!

Oh I get it! Calling me by a Japanese surname because I'm part Japanese! Wow! How original!

#70 Yellow_Medal

Yellow_Medal

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:44 AM

Oh I get it! Calling me by a Japanese surname because I'm part Japanese! Wow! How original!

Not at all. I ACTUALLY think you're David Mirikitani. Just putting the pieces together hermano...

#71 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:21 AM

Not at all. I ACTUALLY think you're David Mirikitani. Just putting the pieces together hermano...

LOL. No I am not David Mirikitani. Japanese on my mother's side.

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#72 Yellow_Medal

Yellow_Medal

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:00 AM

LOL. No I am not David Mirikitani. Japanese on my mother's side.

That's exactly what David would say...Just kidding, I do believe you. 

It is fun, though, speculating about the people behind the posters on here sometimes. Like, say, my theory that Cletus/Smedley/Chingalicious are all the same guy, aka Terry Brands (I'm sure he wouldn't have enough time, but it would be great). 

• BigTenFanboy likes this

#73 pamela

pamela

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:38 AM

Has there been any update on J'den's rehab and training? In the last interview posted a few pages back it sounded like he was close to 100% going through physical therapy and just needed medical clearance. Hope he is good to go! I'm really looking forward to seeing him wrestle at Worlds.

#74 doubleleg121

doubleleg121

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:13 AM

I saw him a couple weeks back drilling pretty hard. He didn't seem to be affected. However is was not live so who knows, but drilling wise he didn't seem bothered at all.

On a side note, he is class act dude. At the Missouri camp a few weeks back, between sessions, he would walk over and grab random campers and pull them on the mat and drill. A sizes and ages. The kids I saw him do it with were stoked.
  • KCMO2, pamela and 2td3nf like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

gutfirst