Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Cox Interview

Well I am an American commenting on an American wrestler and referenced a style of wrestling that only Americans wrestle. Cox is a great wrestler no doubt. I was merely commenting on why someone like David Taylor might generate more fans.

This sport will never be a mainstream sport in the US. Ever. If it didn't have so many guys who wrested now in the MMA, and it being the best base line sport for MMA, you'd see it dropping even worse than it is at the youth/HS levels. The only way to generate interest in the International part of the sport, in the US, is with results. David Taylor going 1-2, or 1 and out, while looking cool doing it, or winning a Spanish Open, doesn't really generate fans. Winning a medal does like Cox did does. And BTW, Cox's performance against Taylor was frickin awesome, as was JB against Dake..... if you can't see that you are not paying attention. Kevin Jackson was about as boring an international wrestler as could be. You do know his name, right? You realize he is one of our best ever, correct? He won with what he could do. JB is getting heat by "how" he wins matches..... Americans disparage him all over the place. Iranians revere him. When he was wrestling one of their guys they were actually quiet. Why? I am sure they wanted their guy to win but they Idolize JB, and that was a show of respect. Iranian fans actually respect and know the sport. Most American fans are, when it comes to FS especially, still in a Gable, go go go mindset (which is ironic because Gable won gold against the Soviet in a rather boring 4-0 nine minute match - Yarygin however pinned 7 guys in about 18 minutes - damn). 

I am pretty sure I am beating my head against a wall here but I am bored and giving up on this sport for awhile after today.  

Edited by sgallan

This is why Dean Heil is hated by so many. He doesn't create a lot of dynamic action, but as a competitor he's getting the job done which is and rightfully should be his number one priority. I was a big Jon Trenge fan back in the day and wished he would have implored a more "boring" style during his NCAA final against Damion Hahn. His being go go go is ultimately what cost him an NCAA title. Imo and I'm sure the opinion of most coaches that you try to win first, then if possible go ahead an try to win pretty, but ONLY if it's not at putting yourself in danger or losing. Pretty much the definition of "WRESTLE SMART"

This is why Dean Heil is hated by so many. He doesn't create a lot of dynamic action, but as a competitor he's getting the job done which is and rightfully should be his number one priority. I was a big Jon Trenge fan back in the day and wished he would have implored a more "boring" style during his NCAA final against Damion Hahn. His being go go go is ultimately what cost him an NCAA title. Imo and I'm sure the opinion of most coaches that you try to win first, then if possible go ahead an try to win pretty, but ONLY if it's not at putting yourself in danger or losing. Pretty much the definition of "WRESTLE SMART"

No one hates Dean Heil.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Then consider your self insulted.... feel better now?

Feel better?  Feel pretty indifferent actually, just pointing out though that you're making statements which are inaccurate.

Edited by KCMO2

This sport will never be a mainstream sport in the US. Ever. If it didn't have so many guys who wrested now in the MMA, and it being the best base line sport for MMA, you'd see it dropping even worse than it is at the youth/HS levels. The only way to generate interest in the International part of the sport, in the US, is with results. David Taylor going 1-2, or 1 and out, while looking cool doing it, or winning a Spanish Open, doesn't really generate fans. Winning a medal does like Cox did does. And BTW, Cox's performance against Taylor was frickin awesome, as was JB against Dake..... if you can't see that you are not paying attention. Kevin Jackson was about as boring an international wrestler as could be. You do know his name, right? You realize he is one of our best ever, correct? He won with what he could do. JB is getting heat by "how" he wins matches..... Americans disparage him all over the place. Iranians revere him. When he was wrestling one of their guys they were actually quiet. Why? I am sure they wanted their guy to win but they Idolize JB, and that was a show of respect. Iranian fans actually respect and know the sport. Most American fans are, when it comes to FS especially, still in a Gable, go go go mindset (which is ironic because Gable won gold against the Soviet in a rather boring 4-0 nine minute match - Yarygin however pinned 7 guys in about 18 minutes - damn). 

I am pretty sure I am beating my head against a wall here but I am bored and giving up on this sport for awhile after today.  

You will be hard pressed to provide any proof to substantiate the the argument that MMA is boosting participation numbers at any level.

I think you would also find it difficult to show any correlation between international results, and growing interest in international wrestling in the US. I am pretty sure the majority of people outside of wrestling fans have no idea who Jordan Burroughs is, let alone J'Den Cox. I question whether the success of either of the above, Kyle Snyder, etc. has done anything to increase participation in international styles of wrestling.

The fact is that the majority of wrestlers in the US only wrestle folkstyle with no participation in freestyle. As such, it only makes sense that the majority of fans come to support a wrestler via their performance in folkstyle wrestling. You also diminish Taylor's international wins including his performance at this year's World Cup. He certainly wasn't "...going 1-2, or 1 and out, while looking cool doing it, or winning a Spanish Open."

Once again, I agree that Cox is a great wrestler so I am not sure about the nature of your post other than to pat yourself on the back and elevate yourself as a fan above the ignorant, simple minded American folkstyle fan.

Put me in the camp of appreciating winners but appreciating high flying winners even more.

Love watching the guys that open it up even more than the guys that are content to keep it close.

Put me in the camp of appreciating winners but appreciating high flying winners even more.

Love watching the guys that open it up even more than the guys that are content to keep it close.

Serious question here. If you had to choose one, would you rather watch your favorite wrestler, maybe your son or brother or you yourself even, win an NCAA finals match in a slow dull boring paced match? Or lose it in an exciting dramatic back and forth match with tons of action? I would be surprised to find anyone who would choose the latter over the former...

So you were unaware of the Cox/Wellington Incident?

I guess you're just a casual fan/poser.

I'm not impressed with your lack of wrestling knowledge.

You really should research the sport before placing your foot firmly in your mouth.

Or just be a poser.

Just what we need to attract more fans who can learn and take part in discussions as they do.

A DonaldTrump of Wrestling knowledge type. Or is it a 007 wannabee?

So what if the guy doesn't know everything about Cox. Few of us do. We see what he is doing now and support him. He's our guy at his weight and we are behind him hoping he wins it all. He isn't Ty Cobb or Mike Tyson or even you, a legend in his own mind.

To put it another way - you are better off being thought an ass than posting as you do and removing all doubt.

Edited by WillieBoy

Just what we need to attract more fans who can learn and take part in discussions as they do.

A DonaldTrump of Wrestling knowledge type. Or is it a 007 wannabee?

So what if the guy doesn't know everything about Cox. Few of us do. We see what he is doing now and support him. He's our guy at his weight and we are behind him hoping he wins it all. He isn't Ty Cobb or Mike Tyson or even you, a legend in his own mind.

To put it another way - you are better off being thought an ass than posting as you do and removing all doubt.

You should take your own advice!

I was trying to educate that "fan" of the Cox vs Wellington Incident. That's all.

I guess you'd rather have a rah rah moment than discuss factual events.

Good for you.

Hey WillieBoy, cjc is the definition of scumbag when it comes to these forums who hides behind a holier than thou mask. I come on here to sign praise for one of our top wrestlers and he wants to act like a big shot to discredit my praise, yet claims to be a big fan of Cox. Hes just pissed i point out and expose his bogus judgemental way of thinking.

Cjc, Cox doesn't need you as a fan.

If my lack of knowing everything regarding Cox makes me a poser then so be it.

If that makes you a better fan than me so be it.

It still doesn't change the fact that as a person, you're trash.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Serious question here. If you had to choose one, would you rather watch your favorite wrestler, maybe your son or brother or you yourself even, win an NCAA finals match in a slow dull boring paced match? Or lose it in an exciting dramatic back and forth match with tons of action? I would be surprised to find anyone who would choose the latter over the former...

I think the answer depends on how close you are personally to the wrestler.  If its my son or brother in the NCAA finals, I'd prefer he win a boring match instead of lose an exciting one.  The same could be said of team fan affiliation and/or circumstances. For example, If the NCAA team championship comes down to the final match-up, I might want "my" guy to wrestle a controlled match - instead of opening up (assuming that's strategically the best move).

Of course. I'd prefer my guy or team win in exciting fashion - not least of all because that has more potential to attract new fans.  However, I don't think the answer to the question is as cut and dried as it may appear at first glance.  And, in responding, I was reminded of the biography of Gable's HS coach. (Siddens! Win with Humility, Lose with Dignity -- But Don't Lose! by Don Huff and Mike Chapman)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

recall a Randy Lewis quote where he said he'd rather lose 14-13 than win 1-0 (or something along those lines). But also recall something from him about wrestling Dellagatta in '84 trials and wrestling conservatively.

Hey WillieBoy, cjc is the definition of scumbag when it comes to these forums who hides behind a holier than thou mask. I come on here to sign praise for one of our top wrestlers and he wants to act like a big shot to discredit my praise, yet claims to be a big fan of Cox. Hes just pissed i point out and expose his bogus judgemental way of thinking.

Cjc, Cox doesn't need you as a fan.

If my lack of knowing everything regarding Cox makes me a poser then so be it.

If that makes you a better fan than me so be it.

It still doesn't change the fact that as a person, you're trash.

So you lose an argument and resort to ad hominem attacks.

What an intelligent person!

Sit down and give yourself a handshake.

You should be proud of yourself!

So you lose an argument and resort to ad hominem attacks.

What an intelligent person!

Sit down and give yourself a handshake.

You should be proud of yourself!

I am proud of myself. I come on here to praise Cox for the great job he's doing representing his team and his country. You on the other hand bring up an unnecessary point about him having a flair up. I totally acknowledged that I was initially unaware of his flair up. Are you saying that Cox is not a great person or a great rep for Team USA?

The ONLY argument here is the fact that you're judgemental trash, an argument that I've clearly won. The fact that your pea sized brain can't comprehend the separation between Cael Sanderson and his wrestlers and what that scumbag Jerry Sandusky did shows your true lack of intelligence. So yes, I will proudly give myself a handshake because I'm a better human being than you are.

I am proud of myself. I come on here to praise Cox for the great job he's doing representing his team and his country. You on the other hand bring up an unnecessary point about him having a flair up. I totally acknowledged that I was initially unaware of his flair up. Are you saying that Cox is not a great person or a great rep for Team USA?

The ONLY argument here is the fact that you're judgemental trash, an argument that I've clearly won. The fact that your pea sized brain can't comprehend the separation between Cael Sanderson and his wrestlers and what that scumbag Jerry Sandusky did shows your true lack of intelligence. So yes, I will proudly give myself a handshake because I'm a better human being than you are.

You're so sophisticated!

Edited by cjc007

Well said Mr. Mirikitani!

LOL. No I am not David Mirikitani. Japanese on my mother's side.

That's exactly what David would say...Just kidding, I do believe you. 

It is fun, though, speculating about the people behind the posters on here sometimes. Like, say, my theory that Cletus/Smedley/Chingalicious are all the same guy, aka Terry Brands (I'm sure he wouldn't have enough time, but it would be great). 

Has there been any update on J'den's rehab and training? In the last interview posted a few pages back it sounded like he was close to 100% going through physical therapy and just needed medical clearance. Hope he is good to go! I'm really looking forward to seeing him wrestle at Worlds.

I saw him a couple weeks back drilling pretty hard. He didn't seem to be affected. However is was not live so who knows, but drilling wise he didn't seem bothered at all.

On a side note, he is class act dude. At the Missouri camp a few weeks back, between sessions, he would walk over and grab random campers and pull them on the mat and drill. A sizes and ages. The kids I saw him do it with were stoked.