Sign in to follow this  
gobraves101905

ASU Recruiting Class

2019 looks great with 2 top 5 recruits verbally committing so far. The problem is, need to figure a way to not go 5 years between these great classes. Had some bad luck with some guys like Bennick and Olivas, but still losing some guys should not affect you so much.

When Tom Ryan arrived in Columbus, he quickly landed a lot of top recruits.  But not all of them were ideal in an all around sense and many failed to perform.  It took him years to learn how to really recruit.  My sense is that Zeke is having a similar experience.  Some hits...some misses.  

Olivas is done? :-(

He was a TD machine in all those youth tournaments. S32. Tulsa.

Yes he is done. Plays golf now. My daughter's first concussion that ended up prematurely ending her career was wrestling Cade. She ended up playing golf as well. You only have one brain.

My son wrestled Cade at super32 opening round one year when they were in 7th grade. I never heard of him before that match. He was always lighter than my son. A crowd gathered like 4 or 5 deep around the mat prior to their bout. I was like who the "H" did we draw?

I believe Ian Miller retired after college because of repeat concussion issues as well. I read that on the internet, so it must be true.

The story was with my kid..... concussion one with Cade (older and actually winning the match), went out, convulsions, all of that, on the back brace, to Hemet hospital. Long day. A month later, released by doctor, another tournament, tough kid, scramble, out again, convulsions, to the Hospital in Phoenix, this time for three days, and a weakness that didn't go away. Wrestling over for that year (duh). At school, in band, faints, hits head.... things get really bad and weird on that one. Air lifted to Vegas. Basically paralyzed with limited movement over her entire body. Usual very angry aggressive severe head injury stuff. Body parts came back but right leg totally paralyzed with just a hint of electrical activity (and hope), weeks later feeling came back, 6 months out the leg came back. Functional vision to be able to read didn't com back for three years. Entirely light sensitive for months (had all the lights out and windows blocked from the sun). Sunglasses always. That came back when the leg did. Weird stuff like if you did the follow the finger thing..... she'd go blind. First for hours, the time went down over a few months and then finally went away. The rehab hospital sent her home after a couple of months basically a broken child and they had no clue. Welcome to my world at the time. Now what do I do? Her personality changed and I am pretty sure that, while still very smart, she lost some IQ points. As years went by I found out this was - though the details varied - not uncommon with TBI's in the military.  

Until you actually go through this kind of stuff you have no idea what the f**k it means. 

Brain injuries are screwed up, neurologists are like the rock scientists of the medical community and they actually know less than more. The brain is just ridiculously complex and science knows the outlines, but when things go really wrong, they are at a loss. 

I've never heard of that problem in wrestling before. Very unusual.

Jake Diechler (sp?) stopped wresting at MN due to concussion issues his freshman year after making the Olympic GR team right out of HS.

Crazy story Sgallan.

Yeah with more research and knowledge about concussions today, more and more careers are ending much earlier than they would have 15-20yrs ago. There are a number of recent cases that have been listed in here already. Another is Taylor Massa of Michigan.

Crazy story Sgallan.

Yeah with more research and knowledge about concussions today, more and more careers are ending much earlier than they would have 15-20yrs ago. There are a number of recent cases that have been listed in here already. Another is Taylor Massa of Michigan.

I believe a bit more than concussions derailed Mr. Massa....

Jake Diechler (sp?) stopped wresting at MN due to concussion issues his freshman year after making the Olympic GR team right out of HS.

Jake's only collegiate loss was a decision to Kyle Dake. Wins over Alton and Monk during his short career. Maybe Could have been the missing piece to get MN over the hump a couple of those years. What could have been....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk