Sign in to follow this  
bigmik

Is Chris Pendleton the GOAT of college wrestling?

New question. Is BigTimeFanBoy's desire to get Bigmik to admit he just wants to be right about everything greater than Bigmik's desire to be right about everything?

Both have shown great resolve. BTFB has been tireless in his assertion that Bigmik's posts are self serving attempts to discredit a foe, yet Bigmik' has thus far refused to crack insisting his motives are legitimate curiosity.

Funny thing to me is that over the final two years of a career, if you replace Pendelton's name with Askren's you have a real debate. Knowing how much Askren struggled with Pendelton adds a nice bit of irony.

New question. Is BigTimeFanBoy's desire to get Bigmik to admit he just wants to be right about everything greater than Bigmik's desire to be right about everything?

Both have shown great resolve. BTFB has been tireless in his assertion that Bigmik's posts are self serving attempts to discredit a foe, yet Bigmik' has thus far refused to crack insisting his motives are legitimate curiosity.

Funny thing to me is that over the final two years of a career, if you replace Pendelton's name with Askren's you have a real debate. Knowing how much Askren struggled with Pendelton adds a nice bit of irony.

Are you trying to tell me Pendleton is the Joker to Askren's Batman? The yin and yang of collegiate wrestling?  

I think anyone other than Cael but Askren would have to be a 2nd if you consider GOAT from a domination standpoint and quality wins(dominated both Gavin and Herbert is impressive).  I think you would have to consider both Retherford and even Nolf if they continue with their dominance.  But ultimately, undefeated 4 timer is unreachable for them.

I bet pendleton out bonus pointed Dake his last two years, you could argue based on that.

He's more comparable to those guys than Bigmik is trying to imply, but his legacy isn't anywhere near as important so the comparison seems ludicrous to people who can't get passed fan mentality.

The only bonus point data that's easily accessible is number of pins.  Dake set the Cornell record with 18 his senior year and had 12 as a junior. Pendleton had 10 in each of his final two years.  

The only bonus point data that's easily accessible is number of pins.  Dake set the Cornell record with 18 his senior year and had 12 as a junior. Pendleton had 10 in each of his final two years.  

Hurricane, wrestlingtstas has bonus stats for Ok St and Cornell wrestlers.  

CP = 45/69 wins (45 of 71 matches)

KD = 49/72

Edited by KTG119

Burroughs definitely belongs on the list. He was pretty much untouchable his last 2 seasons and transitioned right into a Gold Medal.

Best 2xers at their weights(1970 and on added Gable since he wrestled in 1970 at 142) otherwise you get into another set of weight classes:

118/125: Cuvo, Henson, Mills

126/133: Lewis(only won 1 of his 2 at this weight), Terry Brands,Juergens and Dwayne Keller

134/141: Smith, Ironside, Gable would be around here(130,137), Frick

142/149: Metzger, Burley, Santoro, Kolat(1 of 2), TJ Williams(1 of 2), Metcalf

150/157: Krieger, DeMaray

158/165: Pritzlaff, Burroughs(1 of 2), Taylor

167/174: Andy Matter, Sheets, Kistler(1 of 2), Dan St. John( 1 of 2), Pendleton, Askren and Chris Perry.

177/184: Campbell, Lieberman, Melvin Douglas, Alger, Barnes, Randleman, Gutches, Herbert, Dean.

190/197: Ben Peterson, Strobel, Hartung, Hahn, Varner and Wright.

UNL/285: Taylor, Banach, McCoy, Neal, Angle, Rowlands, Mocco, Konrad and Gwiz.

Edited by MSU158

Durant went to the team that beat him and won the year before

Cael went to a team that hadn't won NCAA's in 50+ years

hardly similar

Left undesirable location for sexy new area âœ”️

Formed super team âœ”️

Destroyed competitive balance in the league âœ”️

Only rival is a team in Ohio that's not even really that close to your level âœ”️

Bald âœ”️

Sound familiar?

Edited by steamboat_charlie

Left undesirable location for sexy new area ✔️[/size]

Formed super team ✔️[/size]

Destroyed competitive balance in the league ✔️[/size]

Only rival is a team in Ohio that's not even really that close to your level ✔️[/size]

Bald ✔️[/size]

Sound familiar?

Cael MADE PSU into the super power that it is today. It wasn't a super power before he arrived.

Durant just hopped on board an already super team that was going to win everything WITHOUT him.

Big big difference.

Most people won't bash Cael because he recognize he's the reason PSU became great. Those that do bash him are simply haters or blinded by their love for their favorite team.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Burroughs definitely belongs on the list.  He was pretty much untouchable his last 2 seasons and transitioned right into a Gold Medal.

Best 2xers at their weights(1970 and on added Gable since he wrestled in 1970 at 142) otherwise you get into another set of weight classes:

118/125: Cuvo, Henson, Mills

126/133: Lewis(only won 1 of his 2 at this weight), Terry Brands,Juergens and Dwayne Keller

134/141: Smith, Ironside, Gable would be around here(130,137), Frick

142/149: Metzger, Burley, Santoro, Kolat(1 of 2), TJ Williams(1 of 2), Metcalf

150/157: Krieger, DeMaray

158/165: Pritzlaff, Burroughs(1 of 2), Taylor

167/174: Andy Matter, Sheets, Kistler(1 of 2), Dan St. John( 1 of 2), Pendleton, Askren and Chris Perry.

177/184: Campbell, Lieberman, Melvin Douglas, Alger, Barnes, Randleman, Gutches, Herbert, Dean.

190/197: Ben Peterson, Strobel, Hartung, Hahn, Varner and Wright.

UNL/285: Taylor, Banach, McCoy, Neal, Rowlands, Mocco, Konrad and Gwiz.

another good 2xer to add at hvy:

https://www.si.com/vault/1992/03/30/126245/a-super-heavyweight-kurt-angle-of-clarion-won-his-second-ncaa-title-while-iowa-once-again-took-the-team-crown#

Cael MADE PSU into the super power that it is today. It wasn't a super power before he arrived.

Durant just hopped on board an already super team that was going to win everything WITHOUT him.

Big big difference.

Most people won't bash Cael because he recognize he's the reason PSU became great. Those that do bash him are simply haters or blinded by their love for their favorite team.

Nah, I'm just messing with you guys.  Thought that was pretty clear from both of my posts.  

Nah, I'm just messing with you guys.  Thought that was pretty clear from both of my posts.  

I think you were dead on.  If Sanderson didn't go to PSU he is probably out of coaching by now.  His frustrations with not being able to win an NCAA Championship without having the best High School wrestling and Big Money Donors would have been too much to overcome.  He would now be back in Utah doing private training camps and sitting on rocks in his spare time telling young boys about sling/kaiser blades!

slingblade.jpg

Edited by MSU158