Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

The GOAT High School Wrestler (highlights)

Kolat is still the best I have ever seen in h.s., bar none. I was ready to put Spencer Lee into a first place tie until Austin DeSanto beat him.

Lee also lost twice to Daton Fix. Snyder was only a few years ago.

Hard to argue against Kolat's body of work in high school.  If we're comparing peak form, Fried deserves a serious shout.  IIRC Kolat said in an interview that Fried was the best that he'd ever seen in high school.

Stieber's resume is outstanding as well... only 1 loss as a freshman to DT, and then his performance at the open.  Big guys get the shaft in this discussion since it's harder for them to prove themselves against NCAA or senior level guys, but Hahn and Snyder deserve some consideration too.  

All those who deserve to be mentioned in this category have already been named.

Kolat, Snyder, Fried, Hahn

Sanderson lost at Fargo. 

Hall lost 3x to Bo Nickal. 

Lee lost 2x to Fix, 1x to Suriano, 1x to DeSanto, and his world championships are at 110lbs. which some will balk that I even bring that up but it matters to me. 

Did Gable ever leave Iowa in h.s.? I have no idea. 

Sanderson lost at Fargo. 

Lee lost 2x to Fix, 1x to Suriano, 1x to DeSanto, and his world championships are at 110lbs. which some will balk that I even bring that up but it matters to me. 

When Gable was in High School, Iowa WAS the world.

Sanderson lost at Fargo. 

Lee was not in high school when he lost to Suriano. IIRC Suriano was in 9th grade and Lee was in 8th grade,

Lee was not in high school when he lost to Suriano. IIRC Suriano was in 9th grade and Lee was in 8th grade,

OK, that is true. The losses to Fix and DeSanto are also true, and  equally true that Kolat never lost in 8th grade. 

Kolat is one of the all time greats imo. Nobody outside the 1972 Oly basketball team got screwed over by Int'l refs more than he did. 

Sanderson lost at Fargo. 

I think Lee was still in 8th grade when he lost to Suriano.... otherwise my .02:

1. Kolat

2. Fried 

These two seem to be the names that consistently come up over and over through the years.

I think Pico is worthy of mention. Main detraction is his abbreviated career, so the stats aren't really there, but I'm more impressed by a junior world loss to Yazdani chariti at 65 Kilos (right?) than dominating junior worlds at a low weight. My previous statement is somewhat unfair, because I am convicting Lee of being smaller than pico, but I think I could make a better argument for pico being one of the best in the world while in high school than I can for Lee. 

its not in the high school forum because it was spawned by Tbars naive assumption that he is the only person on this forum who visits flowrestling. 

Hammer, really I just don't get that ? What does your post mean ? 

your right, I am sorry.

The intended purpose of this topic was not the discussion of the best high school wrestler, it was just to share a highlight video of a great wrestler who succeeded at all levels, which i think is fair game for the college forum.  

Me pointing out that Tbar likes to post content we have all seen or would have seen  if we wanted has no context and was just some mean spirited stuff i couldn't resist blurting out.