Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

The GOAT High School Wrestler (highlights)

Surprising self reflection there, hammerlock.

Btw, you were a full 180 degrees off on why I posted the link. I would suggest you think about it, but I wouldn't be optimistic you would figure it out.

Edited by TBar1977

Kolat was a favorite at all three levels (never saw him wrestle freestyle in person).  As for the greatest HS wrestler ever, I would not argue with that although Spencer Lee is right there regardless of his loss to DeSanto (props to both in that match - to DeSanto for his performance and to Lee for competing with that injury).

Since a couple of others have mentioned Fried, I didn't see him wrestle in HS but I remember all of the attention he was getting especially at junior freestyle nationals. I had an AWN that I swore had a pic of Fried holding Tom Brands on his back during one of those tournaments. I think the score was 16-0 Fried. Did see him wrestle freestyle and folkstyle for OK State. Very tough dude!

If there ever was a post that belonged on the high school forum, wouldn't this be it?

And my answer would be Kyle Snyder, the Junior world champion as a Jr. in H.S. and world champion two years later.  

Only two forums exist in any conversation anymore. 

If there ever was a post that belonged on the high school forum, wouldn't this be it?

And my answer would be Kyle Snyder, the Junior world champion as a Jr. in H.S. and world champion two years later.  

He lost to Cox in some style in HS. He'd make my top five but as always..... having read easily over a dozen of these things (Hahn comes up lot and a guy whose name escapes me and peaked in HS used to come up too) it usually ends up Kolat and Freid in that order. I am surprised nobody has brought up Bono taking Kolat to a tie. It's on video somewhere... good match. Bono ended up doing pretty good.

The correct answer is Sean Hage. David Kjeldgaard Was pretty amazing as well. Two names that most guys who only follow college never know. Amazing accomplishments in high school.

Edited by preceptor

Kolat was a favorite at all three levels (never saw him wrestle freestyle in person). As for the greatest HS wrestler ever, I would not argue with that although Spencer Lee is right there regardless of his loss to DeSanto (props to both in that match - to DeSanto for his performance and to Lee for competing with that injury).

Since a couple of others have mentioned Fried, I didn't see him wrestle in HS but I remember all of the attention he was getting especially at junior freestyle nationals. I had an AWN that I swore had a pic of Fried holding Tom Brands on his back during one of those tournaments. I think the score was 16-0 Fried. Did see him wrestle freestyle and folkstyle for OK State. Very tough dude!

fried was disappointed (I think) that gable was recruiting TNT. Long lost interview someplace.

The correct answer is Sean Hage. David Kjeldgaard Was pretty amazing as well. Two names that most guys who only follow college never know. Amazing accomplishments in high school.

Hage lost in HS

Kjeldgaard lost 4 times in HS

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a  Kolat believer.  Saw him wrestle a lot in hs and he wasn't just good, he was scary.  I feared for his opponent's health when he wrestled.

But another PA kid:        Jimmy Carr  

Won the Midlands while in high school. When that was the most prestigious college tournament outside the NCAA's.

Youngest ever member of the Olympic team - 17 years old.

placed in the Senior World championships at the age of 16. and btw, Junior World champ.

He was really, really good.

and Kolat believes that Jimmy Carr was the G.O.A.T.

Sorry, Cary, Jimmy was close, but you're it.

Edited by oldcougar

Was Hage the kid from Georgia?

I'm a  Kolat believer.  Saw him wrestle a lot in hs and he wasn't just good, he was scary.  I feared for his opponent's health when he wrestled.

But another PA kid:        Jimmy Carr  

Won the Midlands while in high school. When that was the most prestigious college tournament outside the NCAA's.

Youngest ever member of the Olympic team - 17 years old.

placed in the Senior World championships at the age of 16. and btw, Junior World champ.

He was really, really good.

and Kolat believes that Jimmy Carr was the G.O.A.T.

Sorry, Cary, Jimmy was close, but you're it.

Carr also won Midlands as a high school wrestler. He may be the only wrestler to have done that. The issue here in this category is that he lost twice in high school. 

Hage lost in HS

Kjeldgaard lost 4 times in HS

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I disagree with the assumption that an undefeated wrestler is always better than a wrestler with a few losses. I also would not always say a 3x NCAA Champion is better than a 2x NCAA Champion. More credentialed, yes. Not necessarily a better wrestler.

I just can't get past the tie Kolat had with Bono after his senior year at Dapper Dan.  IIRC from watching the match too, the ref should have awarded Bono backpoints in the 3rd.  I know he went to nationals after and won the weight Bono was in, but to me such an incredible elite wrestler shouldn't have gotten a tie in his very last Pennsylvania folkstyle match if we're talking best ever - nobody should be on his level as a senior.  Enough people disagree with me that I'm probably wrong, but one idiot's opinion...

Best I ever saw was Joe Williams, but I was in an IL bubble back then.  Still, he was amazing...

Edited by Gantry

I just can't get past the tie Kolat had with Bono after his senior year at Dapper Dan.  IIRC from watching the match too, the ref should have awarded Bono backpoints in the 3rd.  I know he went to nationals after and won the weight Bono was in, but to me such an incredible elite wrestler shouldn't have gotten a tie in his very last Pennsylvania folkstyle match if we're talking best ever - nobody should be on his level as a senior.  Enough people disagree with me that I'm probably wrong, but one idiot's opinion...

Best I ever saw was Joe Williams, but I was in an IL bubble back then.  Still, he was amazing...

Just goes to show anyone can lose.

Why the match ended in a tie is just stupid to me as well. No OT back then makes no sense...

One of my favorite topics.

Dave Schultz has to be given serious consideration.   What he did to guys out of high school (Yagla, Tblisis) far outweighs what nearly anyone on these greatest lists were able to accomplish.   CAHS state champ up 2 weight classes

Pico - I stopped counting at 20,  number wins over NCAA champs and Hodge winners prior to finishing up high school.  6-0 against current world team rep (out placed him 1 year ago).  I don't know any high schooler will ever duplicate those numbers.   

Kolat - his level was off the charts for his time.    Lots of success against post high schoolers while in high school.   Nothing like Schultz or Pico but a monster none the less

Mocco - his dominance was unreal . 

Fried - mentioned already.   He was lights out dominating and up with the next level.  HS was not a challenge 

Snyder - just look at his resume

The heavyweight kid out of Minnesota is on my radar and may make one of these lists in the near future.      How would he go with Mocco?   

The heavyweight kid out of Minnesota is on my radar and may make one of these lists in the near future.      How would he go with Mocco?   

Steveson is an absolute freak.  Let's see what he does at Junior world's--it's crazy that we'll be disappointed if he doesn't win it.