Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Wade Shalles Gives Up

Shalles will give up writing his blog. He wrote that he was upset that he wasn't invited to participate in the Blue Ribbon Panel that is intended to identify ways to help wrestling. While I have enjoyed reading his blog and I think he has made some interesting suggestions, Shalles is not the brilliant expert he thinks he is. He is acting like the kid who doesn't get what he wants takes his ball and goes home.

Maybe the organizers of the Blue Ribbon Panel sees Wade Shalles differently than he sees himself. He definitely is a guy difficult to work with.

Wow! he sure does think highly of himself.

It is one thing to think this in private but to openly complain publicly and lobby like this you have to have a serious ego.

Incredible

Before I begin here, I’d like to say for the record that I’m not looking for any responsibility that will infringe on my free time in retirement and I don’t want to be seen spitting in wrestling’s punch bowl but . . . really? The NWCA is assembling a Blue Ribbon Task Force to tackle high school wrestling’s participation slide and I’m not being asked? That means, as with the 6 or 7 previous Task Forces that I’m aware of, there’s little sizzle and mostly fizzle.

At the very least I bring to the table a creative mind. I’m a thought leader with 55 years of experience and a perspective that wrestling needs, mainly because I see the entire picture.

Didn't read the blog. Did he say Anywhere that he made higher up members of the NWCA that he was wanting to be part of such a group? Several wrestlers with solid careers have made statements about the direction of wrestling and ways to improve it, so that in itself is not guaranteeing you have enough attention to get selected for this type group.

I would imagine some type of criteria was set up for selecting the initial committee. I'd think picking from current NWCA members since it's their group. Including those currently involved in HS wrestling since that's the level they are exploring. And ensuring several regions of the US were represented would be on the list which means only a few people from each area would get invites. They may not have looked to included outside voices in creating the initial committee, but that doesn't mean they are not going to seek out the input or advice of others once the committee gets going. Current wrestlers, parents, coaches, refs, spectators, former wrestlers, none wrestling HS students, community members, media sources, etc all have input that could help since they are part of the end result being a successful one. At least I would think it would be wise to gather that input if I was part of the group.

Edited by MadMardigain

Wow! he sure does think highly of himself.

It is one thing to think this in private but to openly complain publicly and lobby like this you have to have a serious ego.

.... I don't see an ego issue, pretty factual info and he wants to volunteer his experience/efforts.... he's earned it....

Not too many Shalles fans here, I see. His statements may not be modest enough for some of you, but I don't find what he said to be objectionable. Shalles has been a thought leader in wrestling.

A "leader" in his own mind. Darn good wrestler but questionable success as a coach; didn't have the perseverance to stick it out for the long haul. .

I don't know what Wade wants and I don't know what the NWCA wants, but how much progress does anyone really expect from this blue ribbon panel? What are the end goals and how many of them have already been determined? Most of the wrestling folks making decisions don't like change a whole lot, even in the face of data showing that the sport (even with MMA's and Flowrestling's support) is declining in regards to participation, so what are we hoping for from this brain trust?

.... I don't see an ego issue, pretty factual info and he wants to volunteer his experience/efforts.... he's earned it....

What is factual?

He want's to give his time? He starts out by saying he doesn't want to give up his time in retirement.

He has earned it how? Did he build a model that lead to sustained high participation numbers? What high school is he coaching at that has hundreds of wrestlers in their program?

Are you saying that those on the panel didn't earn it? Why do you think they didn't earn it?

I just think it seems pretty petty for someone who says they are an advocate for the sport to pout because their don't get an appointment to a committee and suddenly say they are going to stop sharing their insights.

The only thing I know about Schalles is that he ran a for profit club that trained wealthier kids who were the top wrestlers at their high schools and put out a blog where he claims to have all the answers and can solve all of wrestling's problems. Don't see why he would be included in a committee to increase participation. I doubt he is easy to work with.

Schalles IS an innovator and probably deserved a shot on that panel.

Not sure why he was dis-included....could have been an oversight?

I was his clinic dummy once....learned some very beneficial stuff that was able to use against pretty good competition.

Schalles IS an innovator and probably deserved a shot on that panel.

Not sure why he was dis-included....could have been an oversight?

I was his clinic dummy once....learned some very beneficial stuff that was able to use against pretty good competition.

How did that beneficial stuff help grow wrestling participation? If it didn't then it is irrelevant to to panel that has been formed.

What is factual?

He want's to give his time? He starts out by saying he doesn't want to give up his time in retirement.

He has earned it how? Did he build a model that lead to sustained high participation numbers? What high school is he coaching at that has hundreds of wrestlers in their program?

Are you saying that those on the panel didn't earn it? Why do you think they didn't earn it?

I just think it seems pretty petty for someone who says they are an advocate for the sport to pout because their don't get an appointment to a committee and suddenly say they are going to stop sharing their insights.

The only thing I know about Schalles is that he ran a for profit club that trained wealthier kids who were the top wrestlers at their high schools and put out a blog where he claims to have all the answers and can solve all of wrestling's problems. Don't see why he would be included in a committee to increase participation. I doubt he is easy to work with.

.... dang, how was my spelling and punctuation, CSI wanna be ......

I once attended a clinic that included Schalles and he was outstanding.  His cross body ride sag to a near cradle was something we immediately implemented in our program.  One of our guys ended up 3rd in state and used that particular move all season with great success.  

I once attended a clinic that included Schalles and he was outstanding.  His cross body ride sag to a near cradle was something we immediately implemented in our program.  One of our guys ended up 3rd in state and used that particular move all season with great success.  

Great, he can demonstrate a wrestling move...what has he done to grow or sustain wrestling?

why doesnt he just implement his ideas where he lives and get participation up

stick it to the committee and actually show you know what you talk about

action is better than keyboard warriors like pd2